Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
"Great, my son turned into one of those fancy faggots. Shit was good, though."

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm curious to know how a senior citizen felt about sous vide steak.
My in-laws had one for the first time and were fascinated by the process. It was rarer to look at than they are used to but they understood the reason for that. They polished their plates clean.

They also had my sous vide turkey and declared it the juiciest and best they have had in their life. That is a lot of turkey to be compared against.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's a pretty decent description.

He loved the steak, acted like he was interested in getting a sous vide, or at least the process of how it's done. Success, bros.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Ok wife got me a Sousvide supreme for Christmas. Should I keep this or get an annova? I definitely want something I can do a whole chicken in, he'll maybe a Turkey one day. Will use sous vide for mainly steaks, fish, and chicken. Guide me sous vide experts!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Looks cool and all. Obviously not as versatile as an Anova since you have a fixed capacity.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just got a supreme sous vide for xmas. Only problem is that i dont have the sealing bag vacuum machine yet. Will any Of them work or should i buy a specific one. I know its been talked about before but i dont really feel like searching in the past 30 pages. Thx!!
you can use any vacuum sealer. I personally prefer using the machine to the water displacement method

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks cool and all. Obviously not as versatile as an Anova since you have a fixed capacity.
To be fair, the Anova has a "fixed" volume as well. It's just a decent amount and obviously more versatile since you can use different shaped containers. The Precision(which is what I think most have here?) is 4 - 5 gallons.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone use their broiler for cooking things like burgers and steaks during the cold months? We have an electric stove, so the burners don't really get hot enough to do a quick sear, but the broiler can. Problems are clean up(we'll line the pan with foil now) and smoking fat that fills up the kitchen with nasty smells. Using a broiler pan doesn't really help because it's the fat on the top that's burning, not the stuff below.

Khane

Broiling steaks works very well. I used to give mine a quick pan sear and then finish in the broiler before I got the Anova but even when I didn't pan sear them first they came out nicely. Just make sure you put the rack all the way at the top just under the broiler.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Anyone use their broiler for cooking things like burgers and steaks during the cold months? We have an electric stove, so the burners don't really get hot enough to do a quick sear, but the broiler can. Problems are clean up(we'll line the pan with foil now) and smoking fat that fills up the kitchen with nasty smells. Using a broiler pan doesn't really help because it's the fat on the top that's burning, not the stuff below.
Is your electric stove weak? My old electric did sears just fine. Just make sure you get that cast iron action and the thing will absorb all that electric heat into the pan.

I should note that I switched to gas last month, so now I have to cook with a constant erection.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The shit I put up with on facebook

I'm such a food snob now
frown.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is your electric stove weak? My old electric did sears just fine. Just make sure you get that cast iron action and the thing will absorb all that electric heat into the pan.

I should note that I switched to gas last month, so now I have to cook with a constant erection.
It might be weak. Pan never seems to rebound after searing the first side decently, no matter how high I turn it. We have an enameled dutch oven, will give that a try, though not a lot of surface area for fitting steaks.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This will sound dumb...but use 2 pans. Get both hot as shit, sear one side in one pan and then flip to other side in the other pan.

You're right, once you sear one side if you flip the steak in the same spot it isn't NEARLY as hot, and doesn't sear as well because your steak was just laying there soaking up that heat.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
That's why having a nice big cast iron is great. One side of the pan for one side of the steak, other side of the pan for the flipmode side.

Khane

Hrmm that's interesting. My cast iron pan doesn't lose temp by much at all after I put the steak down. Then it's fully reheated by the time I flip. Also have an electric stove here.