Gravy's Cooking Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Uhm... If you're doing keto and you're not eating fats, id like to inform you you're not doing keto lmfao.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This derail sucks. Let's talk about how real mean don't sous vide, and avoiding red meat turns you into an ultra-Liberal SJW.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This derail sucks. Let's talk about how real mean don't sous vide, and avoiding red meat turns you into an ultra-Liberal SJW.
Yeah, but I have a sous vide. It's the best sous vide and it makes the best meat. It's gonna be great. I gotta say, the meat, it's going to be...My sous vide is beautiful. I'd date it if it wasn't my own sous vide.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
STFU, Lurkingtrumph
Tye0J65.gif

The Master

Bronze Squire
Wife and i have been on restricted KETO(no carbs and no fats) for almost a month now, when i have a refeed day, my asian ass just goes and makes spaghetti, my neighbor is an old italian lady and gives me a few bottles of her sauce, it's either that or prego! (i know my limits, if i got a mamamia next to me, imma get me some of that)
This isn't Keto... nutritional ketosis is when your body burns ketones instead of glycogen. In order for that to happen, you need to eat a ton of fat. 2:1 ratio fat : protein by calories and usually 25g or less of carbs but it varies by activity and metabolism. If you eat zero carbs and zero fat but a lot of protein, your body just turns the protein into glycogen via gluconeogenesis, which isn't substantially different then just eating carbs. It is very hard for your body to use ketones as an energy source, you really have to force it to do so by making fat very abundant and everything else very scarce.

Australian Masterchef is back on the air and I'm watching it. So much better than any other version. The level of skill is higher, the atmosphere is super friendly and encouraging, the format is better even though it results in five episodes a week, and they make real 1-3 star recipes, usually with the real chef who invented them as a judge, for elimination tests. It really inspires me to cook every time I watch it.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
So I'm in the market for some new pans, but I'm pretty much lost on what kind of material to get. Anyone have some advice, or a handy guide to link? I don't really like the idea of buying a copper pan, a cast iron, non stick and every other kind of material to use on a case-by-case basis. It'd be really nice to have a "one pan that does it all" but I don't know how realistic that is.

1. I cook eggs and tomatoes *every day*, so it seems like a good cast iron wouldn't be ideal for this as acidic foods fuck it up and it doesn't do eggs from what I'm reading.

2. Copper is reactive and expensive, which I don't really care for. Seems like it requires too much maintenance.

3. My last non stick pans had their shit wear off in <1 year so I'm kind of soured on those. I use silicon spatulas so I dont scratch any surfaces, but it still wore off. Also it seems that a lot of people think the non-stick material leeches into your food and can be harmful, not sure how true that is.

Thoughts?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Non stick pans = just go cheap. You're going to ruin/replace them. It's just how they are. They don't last a lifetime like a good triclad or cast iron. I have a relatively cheap Tramontina non-stick, a Lodge 10 inch cast iron and a tri-ply stainless steel skillet as my 3 real 'go to' pans. I don't see one pan doing it all for you.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I do pretty much everything in cast iron except eggs. For eggs I just go to Walmart and buy whatever the cheapest non-stick pan is and figure I'm going to replace it every 12-18 months. My brother has a carbon steel frying pan that I like as well. You treat it just like cast iron but it's lighter. I wouldn't sear a steak in it but it's nice for sauteing vegetables or something if you want to toss them in the pan since it's not as heavy as cast iron.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly depends on what you cook...which you'll only determine as you try to cook stuff. For instance, we have a square nonstick griddle pan. Thin so it heats up fast, low sides for easy flipping. We only determined that we wanted this after cooking pancakes in a regular nonstick skillet for a while.

That being said, there are some pans that just generally useful. Large nonstick skillets are good for a lot of jobs. I disagree with the sentiment here about getting cheap nonstick cookware but for a different reason. I like skillets with a heavy base so that they heat more evenly and it just seems impossible to find that in the cheap range.

I would not recommend copper cookware. All my years of cooking I've never thought I could make something better with copper. If I did more with chocolate and candy, that might be different. It's honestly the only place I still see copper used anymore on tv.

Cast iron is definitely useful but it's a bit more of a niche than nonstick. Realize where you'd apply it first before buying just because everyone in this thread (rightly) raves about them. For example, your eggs and tomatoes don't need cast iron. A nonstick with a thicker base, or even just cooking the eggs with a good eye when they'll be done, will serve you much better.

You won't get by with 1 pan unless your cooking habits are relatively specific.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cast Iron is a must have in my opinion but I have a similar question. I have stainless pans as well but they don't seem to "cut it" as far as I'm concerned. On all the cooking shows they have what look like stainless pans that require very little oil yet seem to sear perfectly with no sticking/residue left behind. On one of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations episodes he goes into some cooking store and picks out a pan, shows it to the camera and says "This is the only pan you'll ever need" and it looks exactly like the pans I'm talking about in the cooking shows. But the bastard never explains what kind of pan it is at all other than to say it was a ~$30 pan.

Maybe I just have shitty stainless pans?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Stainless steel pans are garbage. I have one and everything fucking sticks to it. I think they use them on TV because they look cool but no one should buy them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have a stainless steel skillets, one with rounded sides and one with straight sides. The former only gets uses if I'm making something that might require metal utensils and the recipe has enough lubrication. The latter doesn't get used much at all. Both were part of a set and I'm not sure I would buy another.

Khane

I have the exact same problem. So what pans are they using on these shows and what was Bourdain talking about?

I mean you literally never see them using anything that's cast iron other than long griddles that cover multiple burners.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
They are usually cooking with a fat in them. They are likely just tri-clad stainless steel pans. I do almost all my sauteing in one and don't have issues.

Khane

Nah man, they literally squirt some oil, maybe 2 tbs worth, into the fucker and then throw everything in, even eggs. No sticking.