Gravy's Cooking Thread

The Master

Bronze Squire
Ruling the Keto Diet Getting in Shape - Guides | Recipes | Tips

Is a pretty extensive keto website, which is inherently low carb. If she is pre-diabetic eating keto will help a ton with that, don't just eat high protein. Keto is high fat, medium protein, low carb.

As for crab recipes, I just like them steamed. Dipping them in a butter emulsion, clarified butter, some kind of herbed butter, etc., Alton Brown has an idiot proof microwave technique for steaming them which takes very little time.

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Claws Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

He only does it for claws, but I've found the technique will work for small crabs. Big bodied crabs you have to return to methods involving a pot.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Ruling the Keto Diet Getting in Shape - Guides | Recipes | Tips

Is a pretty extensive keto website, which is inherently low carb. If she is pre-diabetic eating keto will help a ton with that, don't just eat high protein. Keto is high fat, medium protein, low carb.

As for crab recipes, I just like them steamed. Dipping them in a butter emulsion, clarified butter, some kind of herbed butter, etc., Alton Brown has an idiot proof microwave technique for steaming them which takes very little time.

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Claws Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

He only does it for claws, but I've found the technique will work for small crabs. Big bodied crabs you have to return to methods involving a pot.
Thanks, that's a terrific site.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't know man, that site makes the food look good but I'm always wary of wannabe style food. Like that cauliflower crust pizza you guys were talking about earlier.

I'd rather just roast cauliflower and add something to it than try to turn these other foods into a food that they aren't. Reminds me of vegan imitation meats and cheeses. Vegans always swear it's so close to the real thing... it ain't. It's not even worth eating. Why try to turn cauliflower into a pizza?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The egg and cheese crust pizza that he gave me was legit. That was something that actually tasted good. No, it does not taste like a pizza crust, but it is its own thing.

No doubt that for the most part I am going to stick to seared meat + leafy greens/broccoli/cauliflower/etc. But getting a new idea never hurts. Like for instance, on that site they have "keto sushi" using cauliflower instead of rice. That is filed under some shit I am not even interested in trying. But it is interesting how they subbed the cauliflower. Maybe applicable in something else later.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Someone give me the secret of using breadcrumbs and not having them come out crumbly/loose on the item you are cooking.

I make chicken parm every once in a while, and no matter what I do or what kind of breadcrumbs I use (panko, white/wheat, whatever) the breadcrumb crust is always pretty crumbly. I mean, it sticks to the chicken, the chicken isn't bare or anything but about half the breadcrumbs are pretty loose and they fall off while cutting bites of chicken.

Anytime you get chicken parm in an Italian restaurant that crust is SOLID, so much so that sometimes you can almost take the crust off in 1 giant piece. I dip my chicken in milk, buttermilk, milk/egg combo, etc, before rolling in breadcrumbs but nothing gives that cohesive, solid crust. I do tend to bake my chicken though, should I be pan frying or something? Most recipes you find online are for baking.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Someone give me the secret of using breadcrumbs and not having them come out crumbly/loose on the item you are cooking.

I make chicken parm every once in a while, and no matter what I do or what kind of breadcrumbs I use (panko, white/wheat, whatever) the breadcrumb crust is always pretty crumbly. I mean, it sticks to the chicken, the chicken isn't bare or anything but about half the breadcrumbs are pretty loose and they fall off while cutting bites of chicken.

Anytime you get chicken parm in an Italian restaurant that crust is SOLID, so much so that sometimes you can almost take the crust off in 1 giant piece. I dip my chicken in milk, buttermilk, milk/egg combo, etc, before rolling in breadcrumbs but nothing gives that cohesive, solid crust. I do tend to bake my chicken though, should I be pan frying or something? Most recipes you find online are for baking.
I mix in parm cheese with panko which binds it. Real parm cheese not that sawdust in a plastic jar shit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Flour - > egg - > breadcrumbs

The temperature may be too low, as well. But I would try that first.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I mix in parm cheese with panko which binds it. Real parm cheese not that sawdust in a plastic jar shit.
That may be my issue, 90% of the time all I have is the sawdust shit, I'm sure it doesn't really melt like normal cheese would to help bind things

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Dude the fake Kraft parmesan crap is terrible. Pecorino Romano baby.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The egg and cheese crust pizza that he gave me was legit. That was something that actually tasted good. No, it does not taste like a pizza crust, but it is its own thing.

No doubt that for the most part I am going to stick to seared meat + leafy greens/broccoli/cauliflower/etc. But getting a new idea never hurts. Like for instance, on that site they have "keto sushi" using cauliflower instead of rice. That is filed under some shit I am not even interested in trying. But it is interesting how they subbed the cauliflower. Maybe applicable in something else later.
If you want sushi on this diet just go for sashimi instead.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
20 g carbs is yikes!

Reduce yes, chickpea or almond flour yes. RN diabetes educator - yes; 20 g a day for how fucking long...no real person can do that for any extended period of time and not be a crabby person (ha -crab recipe) at least in the first world.
Healthy choice brand bread = low net...Aldi's has awesome low carb salad dressings (also low sodium- yeah -try to do both low carb and low sodium- and you will walk in Gravy's shoes)
Who ever referenced greek yogurt thanks; even though the carbs are still a bit "EEK" for some reason (protein?/glycemic load?) it didn't tend to spike plasma glucose levels.
Damn, Mr Chaos, I am still stuck on 20 g for the whole day...I don't think a RN diabetes educator would even recommend that.
was the Doc talking out of his ass?
Endocrinologist with a good diabetes educator (not necessarily a nutritionist...they don't always have the scoop on how medication, lifestyle or exercise like an RN educator does) would be suggested...but I am just a blip on a screen. Take it for what it is..concerned, experience.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
are you guys calling it sawdust cuz it looks like sawdust or cuz it's actually got sawdust in it?

recently they've been hit w/ a "wood chip" lawsuit.
Kraft Heinz hit with Parmesan cheese lawsuits - Chicago Tribune

It's really only the cellulose derived from woodchips and 3%, to prevent the clumping, sounds like the hydrogenated oils they put in peanut butter to prevent the separation. Honestly I dealt w/ organic non-hydrogenated peanut butter for so long (around 10 years), i rarely eat peanut butter, and if i do, i'll just buy the skippy/jif shit w/ the oil, fuck mixing that shit!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I found some locally made peanut butter, dude calls it Applesin Peanut Butter, shit is amazing. Like a semicrunchy peanut butter with a hint of apples and cinnamon.

The Master

Bronze Squire
20 g carbs is yikes!

Reduce yes, chickpea or almond flour yes. RN diabetes educator - yes; 20 g a day for how fucking long...no real person can do that for any extended period of time and not be a crabby person (ha -crab recipe) at least in the first world.
Healthy choice brand bread = low net...Aldi's has awesome low carb salad dressings (also low sodium- yeah -try to do both low carb and low sodium- and you will walk in Gravy's shoes)
Who ever referenced greek yogurt thanks; even though the carbs are still a bit "EEK" for some reason (protein?/glycemic load?) it didn't tend to spike plasma glucose levels.
Damn, Mr Chaos, I am still stuck on 20 g for the whole day...I don't think a RN diabetes educator would even recommend that.
was the Doc talking out of his ass?
Endocrinologist with a good diabetes educator (not necessarily a nutritionist...they don't always have the scoop on how medication, lifestyle or exercise like an RN educator does) would be suggested...but I am just a blip on a screen. Take it for what it is..concerned, experience.
Assuming you are pairing it with high fat, carbs that low just results in a Keto diet. Which many people have maintained for a literal lifetime, since keto was first used as a diet to deal with chronic epilepsy. You can go higher carbs and still be in nutritional ketosis if you are careful to eat primarily MCT fats (~60% of your fats), but yeah, being that low on carbs isn't that unusual. I know two people with epilepsy who have stuck to a keto diet literally as long as they can remember, they've never had more than 40g of net carbs a day in their life since childhood.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well idk, I tend to like savory foods more, especially meats. To me a treat is a big ass steak in the sous vide, then seared and topped with herb butter. I very rarely go for the sweets, or at least very rarely crave them.