Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sear up the pork and meatballs, let them finish in the pasta sauce slowly all day. Fish the bones out and you have chunks of pork in your sauce. This is not rocket science son.

St. Louis style is just the cut of the rib. They are not seasoned in any way(yet).

The city provides the name of St. Louis-style ribs, which are spare ribs with the sternum bone, cartilage and rib tips removed to create a rectangular-shaped rack.
We get a strongly-Italian-seasoned pork shoulder, cook it in the crock pot, then throw it into red sauce for a similar effect. It's really fucking good.

Though I wouldn't waste ribs on that (nor would I want to fish bones out of the sauce).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
usually babyback ribs from grocery are vacuum sealed and they put in some sauce in it too, pretty much bring home sous vide, i think i did mine low for almost 2days, fall off the bone.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
usually babyback ribs from grocery are vacuum sealed and they put in some sauce in it too, pretty much bring home sous vide, i think i did mine low for almost 2days, fall off the bone.
I'm heading to Whole Foods today to pick up the ribs, I'm not sure if they have the pre-sealed and seasoned variety. I'll do some hunting online before heading over for seasonings and such.

I got my app controlled smoker yesterday, it's pretty neat. I'm really excited to try it out tomorrow and probably Monday.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Local Kroger has some pork shoulder on sale, like $.98/lb. I picked up one chunk earlier this week and did it in the slow cooker, the kids and wife ate that shit up. But im thinking of picking up another bigger chunk and smoking it this weekend. Then maybe some costco ribeye steaks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm heading to Whole Foods today to pick up the ribs, I'm not sure if they have the pre-sealed and seasoned variety. I'll do some hunting online before heading over for seasonings and such.

I got my app controlled smoker yesterday, it's pretty neat. I'm really excited to try it out tomorrow and probably Monday.
My Whole Foods does not

Hekotat

My Whole Foods does not
Yeah, I picked up two slabs of Baby Backs and I'm going to just make my own dry rub and use a bit of sauce at the end, nothing crazy.

Setting up the grill was a huge pain in the ass because it only works on 2.5ghz wifi connections. It kept defaulting to the faster one and I could not get it to reset for a long time. I finally got it going and it's cleaning itself now, I'll start wokring on the rub to set up for tomorrow morning.

Hekotat

Shit's about to go down.

1LvJZd6.jpg

Also picked up thissauceon a whim and It's the best damn BBQ sauce I've ever tasted in my life, I can't stop tasting it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is a stupid question.

What's the best way to make uniform burgers that don't turn into fat round small things when cooked? I've done it a few times but not with consistency. Is there a good method?

Also how can I step up my burger game on the 4th?not looking to stuff anything, maybe a special seasoning that will make people think I'm the fucking man. I tried barbecue sauce before and I fucked it up and put too much and they fell apart. I am a noob at burger creating.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
When shaping the patties, put a depression in the middle with your thumb. When they cook up, that will make them even out. Otherwise the middle bulges out.

I don't fuck around with special seasonings and such with mos meats, let alone burgers. Salt, pepper, heat.

The Master

Bronze Squire
This is a stupid question.

What's the best way to make uniform burgers that don't turn into fat round small things when cooked? I've done it a few times but not with consistency. Is there a good method?

Also how can I step up my burger game on the 4th?not looking to stuff anything, maybe a special seasoning that will make people think I'm the fucking man. I tried barbecue sauce before and I fucked it up and put too much and they fell apart. I am a noob at burger creating.
I do a 1/1/1 mix of lamb, pork, and beef. It tastes amazing. For the shaping issue:

The Burger Lab: How to Shape a Burger For Grilling or Broiling | Serious Eats

Will fix all your problems and they'll come out properly sized.

The Burger Lab | Serious Eats

Is a lot of cool ideas that are pretty simple overall. I personally prefer making the burgers perfect and if I want to add something special I do it via accompaniments/sauces on the burger itself.

Hekotat

I used the 3-2-1 method perthis sitesince it was related to my smoker. I assumed I cooked them too long on the 2nd or 3rd step.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have ribs in the sous vide. They'll be in about 25 hours when I get them out. I put a rub on them before going in, then made a rub related sauce I'll put on before finishing them on the bbq. Will report back.

Hekotat

Taking another run at the ribs today, I think I'm going to do 2-2-1 or 2-1-1. I'm terrified of burning them again.

I'll let you guys know how bad I fuck them up.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I am losing my sous vide virginity today...I mean I have gone to first base with it, having performed the Archimedes technique... but this will be the first I have gone all the way. Trying from frozen...12 oz ribeye....wish me luck.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I made ribs for today. Forgive me, but mother of all that is holy they were fanfuckingtastic. I made ten pounds for 6 adults and a mess of kids, and they were the first thing gone.
Started with ribs from Costco, and put on a dry rub with all the usual suspects. Rubbed them down with a lot of it, and then put them in the sous vide at 160 for about 35 hours. Took them out, sprinkled a little more dry rub, basted them with a bbq sauce I made, and finished them on the grill. They ended up being about halfway between dry-style and sauced ribs.

They were really damned good. I may never make ribs differently.