Gravy's Cooking Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Costco sells the pre-seasoned ribs (I thought it was St. Louis style but whatever) so I decided to sous-vide some. Did 48hrs at 140F. Meat was super tender and you could slide the individual bones out leaving the meat completely intact otherwise.

I tried to sear them under my oven broiler but wasn't happy with the results, will try the infrared burner on my grill next time. Also even though the meat was super tender the seasoning didn't really come through that much. Still had great flavor on their own but I may try to up the seasoning somehow. I suppose I could serve with a sauce as well but I generally prefer rubs with my ribs. Also, fwiw I just vacuumed up an entire rack and it worked great.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah its St Louis ribs they sell pre-seasoned.

I stil think its all about that 225F-250F and interaction with smoke and all that fat with the seasonings melting and permeating that meat. IMO you just cannot achieve this at 140F, no matter the duration. I have done them in the oven like that before with similar results during winter months although you do not get that nice bark outside and no smoke ring.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was wrong, I just looked it up and fat starts to render at about 130F-140F. But i also read that there is a point in sous vide that all the fat renders out, the outside fat and all the intermucular fat as well leaving the meat with hardly any fat. So if you go too long this is what will happen. And we all know where that flavor comes from.

Loyang_sl

shitlord
Im thinking about buying a smoker. So far, from what I ve read, the Weber WSM seems to be the best bang for your buck. Any tips/recommmendations?r

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
From what I've read the WSM is a great smoker but if you're going to use charcoal you are going to have to babysit it to keep the temp constant at least some. If you don't mind that it's probably a great option. If you want a more set it and forget it option you might think about a propane or pellet smoker or even electric.

AmazingRibs.com is a great site for grill/smoker reviews and information.

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker 22 Review & Rating

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The electric one I linked earlier is pretty sweet, control everything from your phone and you just have to go out and refill woodchips when it alerts you.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I still like my hacked together wooden box with a hot plate in the bottom smoker. I have a PID hooked up to it to maintain the same constant temp, just refill the wood chips every so often.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just get a cheap ass kamodo smoker/grill. Mine cost me $300 amazon, its one of them acorn ones, metal insulated, not ceramic, but works like a pro. Once dialed in, it can keep 225-250 for 12+ hours no problem. you can buy little temp control kits for them to be totally hands off, it costs like another $100-$200 depending if you want to chart the shit on your laptop over wi fi or some shit. But i never bothered.

Bonus they can also serve as a blazing 700F pizza oven, I have roasted in the thing in the summer at 350F, and they can double as a wok burner too if you get the proper sized wok for them. I have not tried the wok thing, but I have seen videos. Mine came with a cover, so I just wheel it in the garage when cool, cover it up and it looks brand new like I bought it a few summers ago.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yesterday I had something so divine, it elevated me to level 11. Or, whatever.

Seriously, though. Local restaurant serves a piece of slow, slow, slow smoked pork belly over sweet potato mash with hot peppers mixed in. It was so good. I must duplicate this.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That sounds amazing....

I'm going to take another run at some ribs or maybe a brisket on the smoker next weekend.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Im thinking about buying a smoker. So far, from what I ve read, the Weber WSM seems to be the best bang for your buck. Any tips/recommmendations?r
If you like the process of smoking and are relatively new a WSM is a pretty good start. If you learn how to use it properly, you can hold the temp for 12-16 hours (as long as it's not 30 degrees outside. You can also cook low and slow or hot and fast with it. There is nothing stopping you from grilling on it as well. Make sure and get the 22" one though so you can fit a packer brisket on it.

The acorns are pretty good to and you can sometimes catch them on sale at the end of the season. I still I kick myself to this day for not buying my local store out of them when they had them for $50.

If you want something hands off, get a pellet smoker. They can be found from $300ish on up.

Loyang_sl

shitlord
I went into the bbq store in my town wanting to buy the wsm 18.5 and ended buying a pellet one instead ( traeger tailgater). The fact that i can pretty much set and forget it made me change my mind. The only thingcthat worries me with the tailgater is the cooking surface whicb is pretty small. It has plenty of room for what i want to do except for ribs. However, there has to be some kind of shelf/extra rack i could get.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been learning to make various soups lately. As I love soup and it is one of the more difficult things to make well. Anyone can put a hodgepodge together. I recently read some things about the Amish and their soup superiority. Which makes sense due to their lifestyle and need to recycle/reuse/be as efficient as possible with the food they produce.

Been really interesting so far because they have a TON of variety and I like the simplicity of their soups. Here's the website I've been following for them if anyone is interested. A lot of them can be made in a nicely seasoned iron skillet, but I use the crockpot for a lot of them too.

Amish Soup

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Did a couple pork tenderloins in the sous vide this weekend. Came out so good. I didn't take a pic of the finished product until we had almost eaten all of it! Salt, pepper, oregano, shallot and garlic in the bag. Then seared it in oil and finished it with a little butter in the pan. Did a white wine sauce with the pan drippings and the juice the sous vide bags. Thumbs up.

pZmr4KJ.jpg

w5sTXM3.jpg

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
I went into the bbq store in my town wanting to buy the wsm 18.5 and ended buying a pellet one instead ( traeger tailgater). The fact that i can pretty much set and forget it made me change my mind. The only thingcthat worries me with the tailgater is the cooking surface whicb is pretty small. It has plenty of room for what i want to do except for ribs. However, there has to be some kind of shelf/extra rack i could get.
Cut your racks of ribs in half or stand them up when cooking.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My girlfriend cooked for me last night. She made chicken parm which she said was her specialty.

She egg washed and breaded them but then just put them down in a pyrex baking dish, put sauce on top, then the cheese on top of that and threw it all into the oven. No frying the breast first and waiting til they were closer to done to put the cheese on.

Somehow it was still okay but goddamn it nearly gave the Italian side of me PTSD watching her make it and if that's her specialty it's pretty clear I'll be doing most of the cooking.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wait, the chicken, egg wash, and breading all went into the oven raw? Do not want. To be fair, frying shit is a pain in the ass. But I don't half ass it and compromise a great recipe, I just don't make chicken parm anymore.