Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Haha, you put 16 things on pulled pork, most of which were sugar, and then you're talking about having a refined pallet? Come on dude.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I mean the injection i used was created by someone who won the world hog championship 3 years in a row, so take it up with her. I’m sure you’ll convince her she’s clueless on what she’s doing easily enough. 🤷🏻‍♂️

also injections are more common than not. What I did is far from uncommon. You’re picking a weird hill to die on here.

Edit: and no where did I say I have a refined pallet, please don’t put words in my mouth. I just referenced your comment on how you can’t tell the difference in different woods that are used to smoke and concluded from that maybe you have a simpler one when it comes to BBQ, which wasn’t a dig in the least. Clearly a Memphis sweeter style pork isn’t your thing. That’s fine. We all have our likes and dislikes.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you only eat cheese pizza?
yes, only magarita pizza is the proper way to enjoy pizza

speaking of pizza, flour has finally gone down in price (covid made flour cost more than gold dust) so i nabbed 55lbs of 00 flour

yea thats right, 55lbs!!!

also i got my philips pasta maker, holy shit, this thing is amazing, so much easier to just have shit extrude out than to clear my entire table to lay it out using my kitchen aid attachments. i've only been using ap and bread flour (adding vital wheat gluten for added stretch) so far, when i get the 00, i'll have fun with it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
yes, only magarita pizza is the proper way to enjoy pizza

speaking of pizza, flour has finally gone down in price (covid made flour cost more than gold dust) so i nabbed 55lbs of 00 flour

yea thats right, 55lbs!!!

also i got my philips pasta maker, holy shit, this thing is amazing, so much easier to just have shit extrude out than to clear my entire table to lay it out using my kitchen aid attachments. i've only been using ap and bread flour (adding vital wheat gluten for added stretch) so far, when i get the 00, i'll have fun with it.

ive always wanted to make my own pasta. Got a link to the maker you bought?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
sure, like flour, pasta makers were bought up en masse months ago, they're now getting them in stock, i bought the philips avarance and in the pasta machine world, it seems like philips is the gold standard.

i've done pasta rolling with the stupid table attachment and hand crank, yea thats dumb,

i have the cuisinart attachments, those are easier, but you need a lot of tabletop spay and flour everywhere( flour the tables, flour the the goddam noodles so they don't stick together... all this shit)

i also have an omega masticating juicer, since it's basically an auger, you can put attachments to it and also have it extrude out pasta.

so i've done all that, and this philips is way more amazing.
Philips Kitchen Appliances Noodle HR2357/05 Retail Box Packaging, Pasta Maker Plus

my model actually has more noodle dyes

i found this 2min video is good to see how it functions (it's also how i use it)

and yea, i've only been messing with ramen recipes, lulz

all you gotta do is just dump the flour and stuff in there and put a plate out for it, not a lot of "setup time" needed.

this kneader also looks better than the "hook" on my cuisnart so i'll be using it to knead pizza dough (i know i should probably get a breadmaker for that, but ugh...)

Denaut

Trump's Staff

Reviews say the machine is pretty good, but you really don't need it to make pasta. I suggest trying it by hand before investing in the machine.

The dough itself is really easy to make (I like the yolk heavy recipe found here), but it can be a pain in the ass to roll out. A good hand cranked machine works fine, but I received the kitchen-aid roller attachment as a gift and it makes the process way faster. After having done it a few times I can now make fresh pasta for dinner very quickly, just takes a little practice to get fast at everything. You can also make filled pasta this way, which it doesn't look like the machine can do.

Fresh gnocchi is a good alternative, it is quicker with minimal equipment. I started making them not too long ago and it is even faster than normal pasta. About the only thing I think you need there is a potato ricer or food mill.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20200613_095923.jpg

good lord 55lbs haha

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
k, picking up a brisket tomorrow, this is happening.

I have gotten a pretty good bread recipe going as well, nothing special just plain white bread, want to see if I can make a wheat loaf to go along with the pastrami.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so 00 flour really changes the texture of the noodle, it's a bit softer. one thing is that there is zero "hanging bits" on the machine, it's practically clean compared to using AP flour. also it dries out like in a minute... if you don't use it right away in boiling water, fridge it.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I use 00 for pasta as well, I agree with you about it being softer and smoother. Here we only have imported 00, so it is about ~5x more expensive, but since I use a really egg heavy recipe I actually don't end up using that much for an entire meal. And while 500% more expensive than regular flour, it is still just flour so not exactly expensive. For pizza, I've found it matters much less if you do a long cold ferment on the dough. However, if you are doing a quicker warm ferment it 00 can make a huge difference.

I would love to have a bag of Caputo like that, but the price is just not worth it for a bag that big, especially when there is a stone mill ~30 minutes away and I've become sort of obsessed with using local ingredients whenever possible. Top notch flour though, great buy for anyone in the US (or Italy)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I use 00 for pasta as well, I agree with you about it being softer and smoother. Here we only have imported 00, so it is about ~5x more expensive, but since I use a really egg heavy recipe I actually don't end up using that much for an entire meal. And while 500% more expensive than regular flour, it is still just flour so not exactly expensive. For pizza, I've found it matters much less if you do a long cold ferment on the dough. However, if you are doing a quicker warm ferment it 00 can make a huge difference.

I would love to have a bag of Caputo like that, but the price is just not worth it for a bag that big, especially when there is a stone mill ~30 minutes away and I've become sort of obsessed with using local ingredients whenever possible. Top notch flour though, great buy for anyone in the US (or Italy)
it fits in a 33quart dog food container perfectly.

i haven't used eggs for my noodles yet, what do you think i'll expect?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
it fits in a 33quart dog food container perfectly.

i haven't used eggs for my noodles yet, what do you think i'll expect?

You definitely should try it, for fresh pasta not using semolina at least. I've never made pasta without any egg at all, but I used to do the classic 1 egg per 100 grams of flour and when I switched to more yolk and less white (which is mostly water), I think the pasta improved dramatically.

Besides the color looking nicer the dough is more elastic, pliable, and doesn't stick as much. It is much easier to roll out into sheets as the texture remains nicely smooth, although by hand it might be more difficult since the dough is more elastic. After cooking they hold their shape better, there is more taste (i think), and the noodles themselves are less mushy. In the end it really depends on how you like your noodles, I really do like them with a little snap in the center (i.e. al dente) and I find that sweet spot much easier to hit with the extra yolk.

The recipe is from serious eats and they have a long article about testing with different ratios of ingredients if you want to make adjustments for preference.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You definitely should try it, for fresh pasta not using semolina at least. I've never made pasta without any egg at all, but I used to do the classic 1 egg per 100 grams of flour and when I switched to more yolk and less white (which is mostly water), I think the pasta improved dramatically.

Besides the color looking nicer the dough is more elastic, pliable, and doesn't stick as much. It is much easier to roll out into sheets as the texture remains nicely smooth, although by hand it might be more difficult since the dough is more elastic. After cooking they hold their shape better, there is more taste (i think), and the noodles themselves are less mushy. In the end it really depends on how you like your noodles, I really do like them with a little snap in the center (i.e. al dente) and I find that sweet spot much easier to hit with the extra yolk.

The recipe is from serious eats and they have a long article about testing with different ratios of ingredients if you want to make adjustments for preference.
what do i use semolina for? i just have it to coat the pizza peel

Denaut

Trump's Staff
what do i use semolina for? i just have it to coat the pizza peel

It is a lot like bread, you can mix flours to get slightly different results that suit your tastes better.

For example, semolina is harder, has more gluten and is usually coarser. So if you were making an extruded pasta you'd need mostly/all semolina so that the pasta would hold its shape properly while being roughed up. With none you'd probably just end up with a pile of mush. There is a lot more leeway with sheets of pasta, here you can mix in as little or as much semolina as you like. More Semolina will give a slightly more pronounced "wheaty" flavor, and more texture to the dough. Less (or none) will producer a milder flavor and silkier dough. It is really preference.

To start I would recommend just making some with that Caputo flour since you have it already (not 100% sure which kind it is but both classica and pizzaria are fine). That will give you the smoothest pasta and then you can start adding in semolina to taste later. Keep in mind however that the semolina you dust with and the kind you'd really want for pasta are ground differently, you still want the semolina very finely ground. I have a cheap bag of coarse semolina that I dust with, but when I make pasta with it I use more specialized finely ground duram called semolato. However, it is very expensive and I already have 32487 kinds of flour in my cabinet, so I don't bother anymore. If, after you find you really like the semolina taste but the super silky texture of just 00, it may be worth using instead of regular semolina.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For example, semolina is harder, has more gluten and is usually coarser.
shit feels like sand
1f1.jpg

fuck, the semolina DOES get everywhere

i'll go check it out, maybe i'll just make whatever recipe in the included book (since those recipes are for the machine)