Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok, so I recently discovered Guga . . .

And I need to eat some Wagyu.

Any advice for a good sous vide thing and a cheaper version of an egg grill?
how soon do you want a sous vide? i'd wait for blackfriday/cyber monday for anova deals, imo

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

I have an Akorn and it's an ok substitute.

The paint on the inside of the lid flaked off after about 2 years, but it still works well enough for pork shoulders. Not sure I can keep it consistent enough for brisket.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx

I'll prolly hold off until cyber monday. Anova is the brand that's a good standard?

Ao- Ao-

Thx, will look at those later. Not sure if I want to go all out and get one with temp control and an app for brisket etc but thinking about it

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

I'm pretty happy with the Costco version of the egg made by Louisiana Grills. It's usually a couple hundred cheaper in the store vs the website. You'll want a truck and friend if you pick up in store. Thing was like 300 pounds and in a way larger package than expected.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx

I'll prolly hold off until cyber monday. Anova is the brand that's a good standard?

Ao- Ao-

Thx, will look at those later. Not sure if I want to go all out and get one with temp control and an app for brisket etc but thinking about it
yea it's the le creuset standard, all other companies are chinese clones of anova. a chinese clone is cheaper than anovas but cyber monday sales makes em the same price

just that alone will get you started, you can use waterdisplacement for cheap ziplock

of course you'll probably want to get a vac sealer later on if you don't have it, it's convenient to know that your food is super airtight and you can freeze your meats w/o freezerburn and dump directly into the sous vide

as far as which versons of anova to get, i bought their anova nano, the smaller version (cuz it was the one on sale too) and i used that thing for literally 30days straight when i was on carnivore. i just dumped meats in at different times (labeling it) and eating and it was fine.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've got an Anova and the vacuum sealer. The vaccum sealer is so convenient. No complaints about the Anova. Works exactly as advertised. Works really well with thicker cuts of meat like filet mignon.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
samsclub has kitchenaid mixer 5qt for 230 w/ additional mix bowl and accessories

its a good deal, this is the model w/ lift up bowl, instead of twist that all the bitches fawn over

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
samsclub has kitchenaid mixer 5qt for 230 w/ additional mix bowl and accessories

its a good deal, this is the model w/ lift up bowl, instead of twist that all the bitches fawn over

Damn, that's a good price. I paid probably double for mine about 10 years ago.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Damn, that's a good price. I paid probably double for mine about 10 years ago.
my kitchenaid is nearing 20years and the first major appliance purchase i made outta college

i think i have a gear out of whack, but i'm not opening that shit up, i saw a how it's made on them, they just dump like a stick of grease in there.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
my kitchenaid is nearing 20years and the first major appliance purchase i made outta college

i think i have a gear out of whack, but i'm not opening that shit up, i saw a how it's made on them, they just dump like a stick of grease in there.
It's easy.

Trust me.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Made a Andouille, pepper and Cajun Rice skillet in my cast iron. Amazing.

Attachments

• 13A79E57-6867-4CA9-865E-136DDD5DF3A8.jpeg
    13A79E57-6867-4CA9-865E-136DDD5DF3A8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

bestbuy has one for 200 w/o additional stuff

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm going to get a vacuum sealer as well, not sure if I want to go with a nice recreational one, or the giant box thing that's like 400$.

It will get hard use like two weeks a year, then occasional use...

Prolly just going to go with a moderate regular one.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm going to get a vacuum sealer as well, not sure if I want to go with a nice recreational one, or the giant box thing that's like 400$.

Just do the math on the bag prices and you'll get a number for your break even point. If it is a reasonable time frame then go with the more expensive one.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just do the math on the bag prices and you'll get a number for your break even point. If it is a reasonable time frame then go with the more expensive one.

What do you mean? Like the time it takes to do the vacuum sealing?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

the cheapest vac sealer is like 40bucks, i got my anova vac sealer for 40bucks and it works great, i mean obviously it works better than the old foodsaver i have (that still works), but that was also 40bucks as a combo sale, what are you looking at for 400bucks?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I will say there are times where I wish I had a more "professional" grade vacuum sealer. Particularly on meats with higher moisture content or if I want to seal something with a liquid for a quick pickle or the like. My Foodsaver simply sucks all the liquid out even when I use the "Moist" setting.

• 1Like