Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Making bread is a pain in the ass. I just go to my local Italian bakery and fill up on loaves of nice crusty breads for a few dollars. Bonus they sell the most awesome pizza dough in a bag for $1.75/ea. Shit I even have a bread maker too and still cant get myself to make loaves. Although I do use it to make dough for shit like cinnamon rolls every once in a while.

BTW Lanx where the fuck do you store all of your cooking devices. Holy shit bro.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Making bread is a pain in the ass. I just go to my local Italian bakery and fill up on loaves of nice crusty breads for a few dollars. Bonus they sell the most awesome pizza dough in a bag for $1.75/ea. Shit I even have a bread maker too and still cant get myself to make loaves. Although I do use it to make dough for shit like cinnamon rolls every once in a while.

BTW Lanx where the fuck do you store all of your cooking devices. Holy shit bro.
thats why i'm getting the ceiling pot hanger, those pans are taking up valuable device space!

but i do have too many things "out" on the counter, but i use them all the time
coffee maker/grinder/milk frother
induction wok
instapot

i can say i should put away the kitchenaid, but everyone leaves it out cuz it's pretty, and it's fucking heavy

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx is going to have to get a bigger house just so he has room for all his gadgets
about the only gadget regret i have is the omega juicer i got years ago, since we both don't juice no more, and i have a real pasta maker so it wouldn't even do noodles good.

well that and the coffee heh

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
so i've been following this way to make ramen eggs
i even got an egg hole puncher
3e959f1c6b4fa1e884146edd68e0cdbc.png

cuz i saw this guy using it

so it's
1. boiling water
2. punch hole in base of egg
3. drop eggs in, 6mins
4. pull out into ice water bath

and my eggs still look like leprosy eggs, i can't peel for shit.

i'm gonna try 7minutes and see if thats better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
We make a lot of ramen eggs in my house, but I've never tried a hole punch. Will give it a shot.

Just had this over-engineered knife sharpener arrive yesterday and... well, my knives are really fucking sharp now.

View attachment 346705
send it back and get it for 30bucks on amazon, lulz

i have the same one
0e6bdbab406f22e3b93b9ca4508dfeda.png

get one of these if you don't have it
ecb7a173310988265f591a4c4c9dc9ab.png

it'll help you set your angle
Wixey Digital Angle Gauge Type 2 with Magnetic Base and Backlight

what you do is lay the protractor flat on the knife, zero it, then put it on top of the stone and move the jig up/down to get 15degrees and use a marker.

be wary of different sized knives, it'll throw the angle off half a degree, for instance i have knives from a pearing knife all the way to a chinese chef knife and it'll vary 2degrees, but thats extreme if you just have all chef knives, should be no biggie, also it's easy to readjust in seconds.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

first eastern European / Slavic / Russian cooking channel that I've seen that a) treats it seriously, b) is targeting the English language audience. He doesn't make a big point of where the stuff comes from but every once in a while there'll be a dish that is whacked out by our standards (breaking a cream sauce on purpose comes to mind) and you'll get glimpses of the Russian style mayo/catsup packs and or other similar packaging.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

first eastern European / Slavic / Russian cooking channel that I've seen that a) treats it seriously, b) is targeting the English language audience. He doesn't make a big point of where the stuff comes from but every once in a while there'll be a dish that is whacked out by our standards (breaking a cream sauce on purpose comes to mind) and you'll get glimpses of the Russian style mayo/catsup packs and or other similar packaging.
So Araysar Araysar started a cooking channel?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
if you use cream cheese for your poopers i want the recipe too

Slice jalapeños in half, get the seeds out.

Rinse with water (The longer you rinse, the more heat you take out, so rinse to heat tolerance)

Fill halves with with cream cheese.

Cut raw chicken tenders to size they will fit on the jalapeños.

Season them with what you like (Old bay, various chicken rubs, etc.) then place them on the cream cheese.

Cut a package of bacon in half (Thin or normal cut, don’t use thick)

Wrap each popper in a half piece of bacon, stab em with a toothpick to secure.

Lightly seasoned the assembled poppers with McCormicks Steak Seasoning (This is key, trust me)

Grill/smoke em til the chickens cooked. I start low heat, 150-200. Crank em up to 325 to finish em off and crisp the bacon up a bit.

DE3C8030-5F51-4110-913C-A1C262364E43.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So I normally do a pretty good job woth my bbq chicken on the grill, but I overcooked it a bit yesterday because I had a couple of evil children over and I kept having to check on them every 3 minutes.

I want to dial in a good crock pot meat recipe for parties, something that goes into tacos or sandwiches probably. A ton of people don't like pork so I don't really want to go that route.

Recommendations on a crowd pleaser?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So I normally do a pretty good job woth my bbq chicken on the grill, but I overcooked it a bit yesterday because I had a couple of evil children over and I kept having to check on them every 3 minutes.

I want to dial in a good crock pot meat recipe for parties, something that goes into tacos or sandwiches probably. A ton of people don't like pork so I don't really want to go that route.

Recommendations on a crowd pleaser?
A big old pot roast will never do you wrong. Get as much meat as you want, some potatoes, carrots, and onions. A couple cups of water or broth. Set crock pot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours and you are good to go. The meat will be soft enough to turn into shredded beef tacos if you really need to have tacos.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A ton of people don't like pork
2gelmg.jpg

You can make your grilled chicken ahead of time and then wrap it in foil and put it in a 200 degree oven or in a crock pot on "keep warm". You could even make it a day ahead and then reheat it in the oven. You'll just have to be careful not to dry it out. Stick a thermometer in it and don't let it go above 165 degrees internal. You can also put some BBQ sauce on it or even some water in the bottom to keep it moist. Ham, pot roast, corned beef, etc. are always good in a slow cooker. Also any kind of casserole or meatballs in sauce etc. you can make ahead and put in the slow cooker on "keep warm". Even pasta will hold up for a couple of hours. Lots of options. Also who in the fuck doesn't like pork?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I was looking for some kind of "wow I've never had that before!" thing, but I guess just doing pot roasts and playing with the spices or having 2 or 3 mini crock pots with different sauces would be fancy enough without getting too complicated

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I was looking for some kind of "wow I've never had that before!" thing, but I guess just doing pot roasts and playing with the spices or having 2 or 3 mini crock pots with different sauces would be fancy enough without getting too complicated

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users