Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
When my polock mom makes pickles she only uses water, salt, pickling spices, fresh dill peppercorns which are crushed and garlic. You dont need vinegar. IT makes itself sour just by the pickling process, just like sour kraut, which is again, only salt and a bit of water. BTW pickles take about 10 days, but they are usually gone from the big jar well before the 10 days, lol.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
When my polock mom makes pickles she only uses water, salt, pickling spices, fresh dill peppercorns which are crushed and garlic. You dont need vinegar. IT makes itself sour just by the pickling process, just like sour kraut, which is again, only salt and a bit of water. BTW pickles take about 10 days, but they are usually gone from the big jar well before the 10 days, lol.
if you're doing the process that takes 10 days, that's lactofermenting, so yeah, you don't need vinegar as all the natural yeast will burp up its own alcohol and vinegar would just kill it. I assumed he was talking about a quick pickle that you could eat the same or next day.

Although, I have made some lacto-fermented half sours doing the longer method, and love those as well (probably better than quick pickles), but I find quick pickles fit my life better since when I decide to do a big smoke, its usually less than 10 days out from what I am gonna want the pickles for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a sucker for most kinds of Japanese quick pickle. probably because they end up being somewhat sweetish. Can't stand American style Dills and bread and butters.

• 3Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The thing I like about natural pickles and sour kraut is the wonders it holds for your bowels. :D My mas makes that shit all the time cause shes old and bored now. Bring her a bag of frsesh pickling cukes, come back a week later and go to town.

• 3Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm a sucker for most kinds of Japanese quick pickle. probably because they end up being somewhat sweetish. Can't stand American style Dills and bread and butters.

See, I'm going to stop you right there. I'm not a huge fan of bread and butter pickles, but they have their place. And in the right context, they are a tremendous addition to a dish or sandwich. Texture and flavour.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
All pickles are good. Don't be shitting on pickles.

I like the fermented ones a lot, but vinegar ones are also great. Downside of fermented ones is you have to keep them in the fridge.

All hail pickles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wait a minute, I thought it was the other way around. Quick pickles require refrigeration and fermented pickles can just be stashed in the basement.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fermented pickles have to be refrigerated or they will keep fermenting and get super sour. Quick pickles aren't fully pickled so they will rot/mold if not refrigerated. Vinegar pickles can be kept outside the fridge indefinitely if they are sealed and they won't change much and pretty damn long even if they're not sealed. At least I think that's how it works.

• 3Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Made some Thai red curry and coconut milk shit today. Fucking awesome, 98% like the restaurant. Except can't source kefir lime leaves or thai basil local, at least not yet.
20210611_145040.jpg

• 3Like
  • 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Made some Thai red curry and coconut milk shit today. Fucking awesome, 98% like the restaurant. Except can't source kefir lime leaves or thai basil local, at least not yet.
View attachment 357985
Dude post the recipe. Haven't made Asian in a while and we try to rotate different types of cuisine when we plot out meals. I think this would be a great addition.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Quite simple really

Heat some oil in a wok, maybe 1/4 cup maybe a bit more?
Add in red curry paste and saute about 4 heaping tablespoons, maybe 5?(I cut the corner of the bag thats in the tub below and squirt out amount that looks good, lol.)
add 1/2 diced or chopped onion med size , and minced garlic to your liking 4-5 cloves?, continue saute Wife does not like texture of onion so I chop it fine, but you can add strips, chopped whatever.
Add some heat from pepper flakes if you like spicy (the red curry paste is "american spicy" but I like more)
Saute some more maybe 7 min total?
Then add chicken which has been velveted (see below)
Saute few min more (This is also when you would add in some kefir lime leaves and thai basil if you can find some)

Add in coconut milk, one can full fat
Add 1 cup of chix broth (I use 1 cup hot water and bullion)
brown sugar and salt to taste. Usually like 1-2 tablespoon of brown sugar. You can also use fish sauce for salt. You want a nice balanced flavor. If its bitter from curry paste add in a but of water, you used too much.
then add in veggies, I like bell peppers, bamboo shoots, broccoli, mushrooms, but add in whatever you like. Usually like a handful each?
Then just stew until veggies are done to your liking.
Serve over rice

You can also add in a couple heaping tablespoon of penut butter to above for peanut curry. To change it up.

You want this paste right here. If you cant find in store you can get it on amazon... Ive tried others but this shit is the real deal. One small plastic cup like this will make about 4 of above maybe 5 you can freeze but keep refrigerated after bag is open.

Capture005.PNG

Velveting chicken...

Cut chicken into thin strips
Add in some soy and salt and mix up and marinade for 30+min
Get some water boiling in pot
When done marinading add in one egg white
Add in like 2 heaping tablespoons corn starch mix well with hand
Then drop into boiling water and turn off heat after 1-2 min you dont want to boil this, you just want to get all chix white and 50%-70% cooked. Drain and set aside.
This shit is the most tender chicken ever for stir fry.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Quite simple really

Heat some oil in a wok, maybe 1/4 cup maybe a bit more?
Add in red curry paste and saute about 4 heaping tablespoons, maybe 5?(I cut the corner of the bag thats in the tub below and squirt out amount that looks good, lol.)
add 1/2 diced or chopped onion med size , and minced garlic to your liking 4-5 cloves?, continue saute Wife does not like texture of onion so I chop it fine, but you can add strips, chopped whatever.
Add some heat from pepper flakes if you like spicy (the red curry paste is "american spicy" but I like more)
Saute some more maybe 7 min total?
Then add chicken which has been velveted (see below)
Saute few min more (This is also when you would add in some kefir lime leaves and thai basil if you can find some)

Add in coconut milk, one can full fat
Add 1 cup of chix broth (I use 1 cup hot water and bullion)
brown sugar and salt to taste. Usually like 1-2 tablespoon of brown sugar. You can also use fish sauce for salt. You want a nice balanced flavor. If its bitter from curry paste add in a but of water, you used too much.
then add in veggies, I like bell peppers, bamboo shoots, broccoli, mushrooms, but add in whatever you like. Usually like a handful each?
Then just stew until veggies are done to your liking.
Serve over rice

You can also add in a couple heaping tablespoon of penut butter to above for peanut curry. To change it up.

You want this paste right here. If you cant find in store you can get it on amazon... Ive tried others but this shit is the real deal. One small plastic cup like this will make about 4 of above maybe 5 you can freeze but keep refrigerated after bag is open.

View attachment 358045

Velveting chicken...

Cut chicken into thin strips
Add in some soy and salt and mix up and marinade for 30+min
Get some water boiling in pot
When done marinading add in one egg white
Add in like 2 heaping tablespoons corn starch mix well with hand
Then drop into boiling water and turn off heat after 1-2 min you dont want to boil this, you just want to get all chix white and 50%-70% cooked. Drain and set aside.
This shit is the most tender chicken ever for stir fry.
for that i usually portion out the the rest of the sauce in 2oz ice cube trays
d70d9020cccb265e7060c8ad88aef598.png

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
.... Except can't source kefir lime leaves or thai basil local, at least not yet.
I picked up a thai basil plant at Lowes a couple years ago, grew fine in the backyard. Didn't use it nearly enough but looks awesome and smells amazing.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I picked up a thai basil plant at Lowes a couple years ago, grew fine in the backyard. Didn't use it nearly enough but looks awesome and smells amazing.

I always grow way more basil (and lots of other herbs) than I can use in the summer, and I freeze them in ice cube trays with a little water, and then keep those cubes in ziplocs in the freezer so I have access to "fresh" herbs all winter long. It's awesome.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Except can't source kefir lime leaves or thai basil local, at least not yet.
View attachment 357985

I have a SE Asian grocery not even a 20 minute walk away and I've been a few times but you can only buy kaffir lime leaves in ridiculous quantities. It's like a dollar for a bag but still. Even if I try to go ham with the Thai cooking I rarely even make it through have the bag before they start losing their punch and turn color. It's also in the middle of the TL and it's very unpleasant outside.

I've been getting really into cooking fish lately. It's been the primary meat I've been buying. Broiled black cod with some bok choy sautéed in sesame oil and garlic. Bok choy has to be the easiest veggie to prepare.

20210614_195940.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Moving to a new place

Knife storage ideas?

For 10 yeas ive been using a 16in mag strip

Chinese chef knife, gyuto, santoku, smaller santoku, pearing knife

Also later on i want have a permanent tormak clone setup in the garage for easy sharpening
Screenshot_20210618-222733.png

Its really messy tho from what i seen and i wont really have garage space until i hilk smash that storm shelter.

I was thinking about putting in a utility sink and putting the grinder next to it in the laundry room.

I wanna get stackable front loaders for the space saving