Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
reading material
View attachment 362432

btw the deck color is ugly, quick google says this is the best way to strip paint off a deck and railings
92ecb45c3483352738222930c6b34772.png
so far this bbq manifesto is more like a "dear diary"

2 out of 10, 1/3 reading it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That's pretty slick. If I could figure out a use for it, I'd probably try to make something like that myself. I'd want it to match the cabinets. I have precisely one knife that I use while cooking, though. I've used that knife for so long and gotten so used to it that I'd probably cut off a finger if I tried using another knife in the kitchen.
No. Use other knives and your ability to do shit will grow. Night and day difference, really. I did the one knife thing for years, too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't think you understand my love for this knife.

flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg
i still can't find where the fuck they packed my sharpening stones, i've been using the bottom of my mugs to sharpen my knife (i don't know where the other knifes are either), they musta mixed in some kitchen stuff w/ basement/garage stuff (which i still haven't unpacked)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20210716_135530.jpg

16 hour smoke 3lb brisket,

started at 8
i tested half of it using mustard binder, i don't think it did much but it did add a bit of heat, so i'll probably keep it, just s&p using full hickory pellets and a waterpan, at 4hrs in started spritzing it w/ apple juice to keep it really moist.

bagged it in the morning and just let it cook

i'd like to see more "juices" soon, wife said it's the best so far

i found a nice app called basket savings, it has real time prices on the grocery stores in your area

really makes a difference whole chicken at kroger is 2.99, aldi is 89c, for me they're practically a block away. looks like i'll also be getting a costco membership for the meat deals.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i reheated the brisket and it tasted saltier, or rather i could taste more of the salt

i guess the only way around this is to eat the whole damn brisket in a day

but then it could also be the way that i ate the brisket, i just cooked rice and put the brisket on top of it

i too can asian fusion!

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i reheated the brisket and it tasted saltier, or rather i could taste more of the salt

but then it could also be the way that i ate the brisket, i just cooked rice and put the brisket on top of it

i too can asian fusion!
Well you didn't exactly cook a full packer. If you coated it with salt and pepper pretty heavily like you would a traditional brisket, that seasoning is going to penetrate that smaller cut of meat more easily. If you cook a whole flat or a whole point, or the whole damn thing, you're not going to get near that amount of saltiness throughout the cut when cooked.

I don't know if it was lighting, but from the picture you posted I almost thought you had made pastrami from the redness of the meat. It still looked really good though, and you got some pretty good bark on it.

What type of wood did you use?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

i too can asian fusion!
I find myself pretty much not salting the things i cook, there's so much salt in everything now adays and it's so easy to add salt after the fact. I'd much rather rub a brisket up with mustard and non-salt spices. The limit of what salt I'll use is usually a brine and wash, actually coating meat in salt is usually too much for me to enjoy. The few times I use salt it's a strategic choice to dry the surface and get a nice sear.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I find myself pretty much not salting the things i cook, there's so much salt in everything now adays and it's so easy to add salt after the fact. I'd much rather rub a brisket up with mustard and non-salt spices. The limit of what salt I'll use is usually a brine and wash, actually coating meat in salt is usually too much for me to enjoy. The few times I use salt it's a strategic choice to dry the surface and get a nice sear.

This is a terrible way to cook unless you just love bland food. Salt is the most important ingredient in any kind of meat cooking. I honestly don't know how Lanx got his brisket too salty by only salting the outside unless he's into bland food as well. Maybe left it soaking in the juice from cooking? In my experience it's nearly impossible to oversalt a roast by salting just the outside. I mean crusting prime rib with 3 cups of salt is a really popular way to cook it.

• 3Truth!
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is a terrible way to cook unless you just love bland food. Salt is the most important ingredient in any kind of meat cooking. I honestly don't know how Lanx got his brisket too salty by only salting the outside unless he's into bland food as well. Maybe left it soaking in the juice from cooking? In my experience it's nearly impossible to oversalt a roast by salting just the outside. I mean crusting prime rib with 3 cups of salt is a really popular way to cook it.
I didn't say I don't use salt. To be more precise, I tend not to salt fatty meats that are long cooks much, but I will salt faster cooking meats. Prime rib I definitely salt the outside heavily, but I do a fast hot cook on that. Pork butt, brisket, chuck roasts and the like I tend to lean away from salting. Often I'll make a sauce for them and I find its easier just to control the salt content after the fact. My personal and family's tolerance for salt flavor is a lot lower than most people, so that plays into it too.

The beauty of cooking is you can make what you enjoy.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The beauty of cooking is you can make what you enjoy.

Sure, but putting a sauce on it is totally different than salting the meat itself. Making your food taste salty isn't the only effect of cooking with salt.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Sure, but putting a sauce on it is totally different than salting the meat itself. Making your food taste salty isn't the only effect of cooking with salt.

I mean I did literally say I'm good brining my meat in the first post. I know Salt can change the nature of the meat and I'll use it to that end, and in particular I like brined brisket. I just don't like lots of salt on a finished product, but to each their own.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What type of wood did you use?
hickory pit boss, thats all they have for now, i'm gonna stick with it so i don't change much variables

my lowes says they have ppl putting the fruitwood blend and pecan blend on order.

yea thats why i'm thinking about costco and buy me a full brisket to play with

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i was thinking it over, and i think it might be cuz i used my salt grinder instead of kosher salt

i hate peppercorn i can crunch so i make it table salt size, i think i'll go for kosher salt and keep fine particle pepper grinds.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I had picked up a wagyu chuck roast couple of weeks ago, and the plan was to cut it up into steaks. Beef prices shooting through the roof, figured I'd try to get something good out of something less expensive. Ended up making really great tacos for leftovers.

Cut the roast into two massive steaks, and reverse seared them on the kettle / slow and sear.

Was very pleased with the results. It's kind of awkward to break up the sections which I didn't pay attention to at first, but just watch the grain and you get nice succulent portions when you slice it.

Very rich though with all the intramuscular fat. It's definitely going on the list though if I want something a little more decadent. I couldn't distinguish it at all from a prime ribeye flavor-wise and tenderness, other than maybe the lack of the deckle.

IMG_20210711_202207213_HDR~2.jpg

img_20210711_202908838-2-jpg.362906

IMG_20210711_202722052_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210711_202908838~2.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't see any awesome "deals" for a costco membership now, just sign up and get a 20$ giftcard, i used to see that and you get like the value back in coupon mailers, or is that just standard costco?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Right on! Make sure to take a bunch of pictures.
yea i wanna do one mod first, to extend my smoke stack first, my fucking stores are weird

lowes has no water heater supplies, while HD (which i went to just now) has no flue pipes

i already visited lowes yesterday for more hickory pellets, but their like 10mins away from each other, so i guess i'll hit lowes another time.