Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Great, easy too. Pretty much learn all my japanese cooking from this site.

I mean this shit is nothing more than breaded pork chops (Or chicken) with some sauce. This shit is def not Japanese because as a little kid my moms made this shit all the time sans the sauce in Poland. We did not use panko, just reg bread crumbs but shit, calling this shit Japanese? Like they somehow invented pork chops? LOL?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I mean this shit is nothing more than breaded pork chops (Or chicken) with some sauce. This shit is def not Japanese because as a little kid my moms made this shit all the time sans the sauce in Poland. We did not use panko, just reg bread crumbs but shit, calling this shit Japanese? Like they somehow invented pork chops? LOL?
Pretty much the reason to do this over various European/traditional schnitzel is that panko makes it a lot crispier and less oily than it would normally be. Katsu sauce is also dope.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One of the best videos on classic schnitzel I've seen since we're on the topic.

I always find cooking so relaxing that doing that job would be awesome. But it would probably be different if it was my actual job.

Now I want a classic wiener schnitzel. Has anyone ever beer battered a schnitzel?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I always find cooking so relaxing that doing that job would be awesome. But it would probably be different if it was my actual job.
I cooked my way through college. Cooking for a living is the farthest thing from relaxing -- its art under pressure on a strict time table where chaos constantly tries to intervene and fuck up your timing.

It was exhilarating sometimes but far from relaxing.

Most career chefs I knew were serious alcoholics and many also had other substance abuse issues on top of it.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I cooked my way through college. Cooking for a living is the farthest thing from relaxing -- its art under pressure on a strict time table where chaos constantly tries to intervene and fuck up your timing.

It was exhilarating sometimes but far from relaxing.

Most career chefs I knew were serious alcoholics and many also had other substance abuse issues on top of it.
What kind of places did you work at our of curiosity? Was this all in Oregon too? But yes I completely agree.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
No, almost all NY (Long Island, in the Hamptons.) Ranged from little cafes with basic diner type food to a couple fancy ass Hamptons restaurants with Mediterranean influenced menus. Also did a short time in a chain restaurant in VA to save up some cash for a used piece of shit car. I guess 6 different places altogether.

I miss those days terribly and especially anytime I step foot in a restaurant. Probably for the best I left it behind but I'm never really sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Now I want a classic wiener schnitzel. Has anyone ever beer battered a schnitzel?
I seriously considered going into cooking school when I got done with college just because I enjoyed it so much. But then I sat and looked at the fact you're working nights and weekends and don't have time for pretty much anything else. I love cooking but I'm not that God damn devoted to it. There are other things that I enjoy in life that being a professional chef would not give me the opportunity to enjoy. My other biggest worry was I would burn out and start to hate the thing that I love being spending time in the kitchen making good meals for my family and friends.

However, I ended up getting into construction and my favorite projects was always doing restaurants. It was so much fun to be involved in building a place where great food was going to be made. The added bonus was after the project was completed you could always go into the restaurant and you got better service than anybody else in there, and a lot of the times your tab was picked up. I just really enjoyed learning about the back end of building out a kitchen and a restaurant, and just getting to talk with the owners and chefs about how they run their business. Was just a really fun experience to have helped build something that is making a great life possible for somebody that's dedicated to the culinary arts.

/Dear diary 😉

Edit: Aldarion Aldarion hit the nail on the head. I would imagine it's a huge rush and a lot of fun to have a great service on a weekend when a restaurant is just churning out covers. Talking with some of the folks I worked with on projects, they're definitely a different breed. A lot of them are heavy drinkers, it's one of the reasons it was so much fun to hang around with them. I just can't imagine doing that day in and day out, and I guess that's why there's heavy substance abuse.

Chefs are the equivalent of painters in the construction industry. The only non-substance abuser on a painting crew was typically the owner of the company.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I worked in small restaurants for a few years and yes, no matter where you work it sucks balls. First issue is the unpredictability. One Tuesday you could be standing around with your thumb up your ass all day and the next you're getting slammed non stop. To add to the stress is the people. Certain things tend to turn peoples asshole dials up a few notches. One is driving, the other is waiting for their food. The way they'd look at you while pacing, you'd swear you raped their mother or something. Then add in to the fact that most of your coworkers will be fuck ups, or just not show up at all, and you have a recipe for a job that will lead you to an addiction and/or a early grave.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The broccoli soup posted here frequently. I'm a big fan of stuff that's under 20 mins beginning to end.

PXL_20230108_172112713.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The broccoli soup posted here frequently. I'm a big fan of stuff that's under 20 mins beginning to end.

View attachment 452033
Is that the Gordon Ramsay recipe?

The wife brought home one of his books the other day when she was doing her volunteer stuff. I haven't dived into it yet but I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that I can incorporate into our normal meal stuff. I guess at this point I don't necessarily follow recipes to the tea unless it's baking or something very very specific, but they're always good for inspiration.

IMG_20230108_113655663_HDR.jpg

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is that the Gordon Ramsay recipe?

The wife brought home one of his books the other day when she was doing her volunteer stuff. I haven't dived into it yet but I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that I can incorporate into our normal meal stuff. I guess at this point I don't necessarily follow recipes to the tea unless it's baking or something very very specific, but they're always good for inspiration.

View attachment 452038
Sure is. I don't really follow recipes either. For the broccoli soup you need a salty soft cheese to really make it taste good. Just put it at the bottom of the bowl like he does and let it melt through by pouring the hot soup on it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you have romantic views about working in restaurants and you haven't already, you owe it to yourself to read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain. My only restaurant experience was as a dish washer/delivery boy at a Chinese restaurant. I'm sure it was a far cry from the booze and sex and coke fueled kitchens in new york in the 70's and 80's but I felt I learned some good lessons there, primarily how to work a lot faster than I thought I could.

I can still imagine myself taking a job manning the omelette bar at some champagne brunch buffet somewhere.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

I have a buddy thats was a chef for a time. Stressful as all hell.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
If you have romantic views about working in restaurants and you haven't already, you owe it to yourself to read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain. My only restaurant experience was as a dish washer/delivery boy at a Chinese restaurant. I'm sure it was a far cry from the booze and sex and coke fueled kitchens in new york in the 70's and 80's but I felt I learned some good lessons there, primarily how to work a lot faster than I thought I could.

I can still imagine myself taking a job manning the omelette bar at some champagne brunch buffet somewhere.
That man really knew the craft and the trade of being a professional chef. I think I've watched all of his different series and I think I've listened to most of his books.

Have a very vivid memory of a going out to the bars back in college, and the group of us went to somebody's house, sitting around having a few more beers and somebody turned the TV on. A Cook's Tour was on food Network at the moment, which was I believe his first series, and it was the episode where I think he was somewhere in Asia and he eats the beating Cobra's heart. I just remember all of us sitting there watching and saying it was just crazy. This was 20 plus years ago. Ever since then though I've been a big fan of his, and his knowledge really gives you a pure understanding of exactly how the industry works.

I think Ramsay is the only other kind of no bullshit guy. It's fascinating watching his different series and stuff because he's a great chef, but he's a more amazing businessman.

Edit: sorry was trying to talk to text

Last edited:
  • 2Like