Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Here’s my go to sandwich to this day. Potato roll, 2-3 pcsweet bologna(seltzers is best), 1 pc copper sharp and copious amounts of mayo. Growning up we used hellmans and American cheese but my more refined palate prefers Dukes and Cooper now.

833F8D7D-0321-4594-A061-C2057E1A35F1.jpeg

B56A0F6E-955D-4DE7-A071-E2272083596A.jpeg

AD0AD8C7-B25C-4BBF-8C0B-99B3656F2B0B.jpeg

99833416-9089-4B41-9C63-65A22A0E21FA.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Here’s my go to sandwich to this day. Potato roll, 2-3 pcsweet bologna(seltzers is best), 1 pc copper sharp and copious amounts of mayo. Growning up we used hellmans and American cheese but my more refined palate prefers Dukes and Cooper now.

View attachment 456762

View attachment 456763

View attachment 456764

View attachment 456766
That looks like salami. I've never had it before but it looks good. I agree that dukes is the only mayonnaise worth buying.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Hung from top chef could have diced 30 onions in that amount of time.

I've got decent knife skills but I'm nowhere near that guy.

Man I looked up that that misono knife he was using, hopefully thinking it was like a victorinox or something in that price range, and immediately got sticker shock.

I got a handful of decent knives, but sometimes it's hard for me to justify spending that much if you're not using it professionally. If I spent 24/7 in the kitchen absolutely, but for our humble meals at home, I just can't do it.

Reminds me I need to order another victorinox. I beat the hell out of my 8-in chef, and I think it's time to finally retire it. I still think to this day it's the best bang for your buck for a nice hefty chef's knife. I have more expensive knives I've gotten as gifts over the years, but for the money it's still easily my favorite. It has enough heft to pretty much do anything, and you can use an abuse it. Just really feels good in the hand, at least for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I've got decent knife skills but I'm nowhere near that guy.

Man I looked up that that misono knife he was using, hopefully thinking it was like a victorinox or something in that price range, and immediately got sticker shock.

I got a handful of decent knives, but sometimes it's hard for me to justify spending that much if you're not using it professionally. If I spent 24/7 in the kitchen absolutely, but for our humble meals at home, I just can't do it.

Reminds me I need to order another victorinox. I beat the hell out of my 8-in chef, and I think it's time to finally retire it. I still think to this day it's the best bang for your buck for a nice hefty chef's knife. I have more expensive knives I've gotten as gifts over the years, but for the money it's still easily my favorite. It has enough heft to pretty much do anything, and you can use an abuse it. Just really feels good in the hand, at least for me.
i had both 8 and 10in victorinox and didn't like em, just didn't like the way they cut but of them, i preferred the 10in, maybe you should try it too since you've used the 8in enough

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i had both 8 and 10in victorinox and didn't like em, just didn't like the way they cut but of them, i preferred the 10in, maybe you should try it too since you've used the 8in enough
Now that I think about it I think I have the 10-in. It's the big one. Sorry for some reason I thought it was a standard 8 inch chef's knife since that seems to be the standard for most other brands.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Now that I think about it I think I have the 10-in. It's the big one. Sorry for some reason I thought it was a standard 8 inch chef's knife since that seems to be the standard for most other brands.
well about the other thing i can say is, maybe try a kai, it's the same price as a victorinox, kai is the shun value brand
a2314d84a525db2f29fa97f20fed36c3.png

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
well about the other thing i can say is, maybe try a kai, it's the same price as a victorinox, kai is the shun value brand
a2314d84a525db2f29fa97f20fed36c3.png
I'm not at the house right now but I've got another chef's Life my mom had got me for Christmas a few years ago along with a few different paring knives that are fantastic. I'll have to pull them out and see what brand they are.

I think it's something that Kenji Lopez pushes. They're sharp as hell and I use them for very fine knife work, but the problem I have is that they just feel too delicate. I really like the victorinox because it's just a nice hefty blade and I can get a good grip on it.

Thanks I'll definitely check out the Kai.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I'm not at the house right now but I've got another chef's Life my mom had got me for Christmas a few years ago along with a few different paring knives that are fantastic. I'll have to pull them out and see what brand they are.

I think it's something that Kenji Lopez pushes. They're sharp as hell and I use them for very fine knife work, but the problem I have is that they just feel too delicate. I really like the victorinox because it's just a nice hefty blade and I can get a good grip on it.

Thanks I'll definitely check out the Kai.
last i remember kenji pimping kan knives?
537b9f5e2360e2a0ddf2141c5745d863.png

they use vg10 so thats a vastly different feel when you cut, i'm sure

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Misen is a start up knife company that Kenji was promoting at least for a while. I have a couple and they cut shit just fine.

Misen Chef Knife - 8 Inch Professional Kitchen Knife - High Carbon Steel Ultra Sharp Chef's Knife, Blue https://a.co/d/30ww3tp

Screenshot_20230203-140452.png

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Misen is a start up knife company that Kenji was promoting at least for a while. I have a couple and they cut shit just fine.

Misen Chef Knife - 8 Inch Professional Kitchen Knife - High Carbon Steel Ultra Sharp Chef's Knife, Blue https://a.co/d/30ww3tp

View attachment 456804
That's the one. It's a hell of a knife but the blade feels delicate when I go to cut things. That's why I only use it for very fine work. I don't trust it to sit there and actually chop through something because it feels like the damn edge is going to break off.

It feels like a perfect sushi knife or something. The paring knives are wonderful though, and I use them for all different types of purposes, the chef's knife is just not my everyday blade.

My mom bought me a few of them for Christmas a handful of years ago, and as much as I love them and appreciate her going out of the way to find me a nice knife, I kind of wish I had just had a big set of the victorinox. I still make good use of it though.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I have a basic Dexter Russell chef knife my mom bought me 20 years ago that has been decent. But most of my newer knives are Victorinox Fibrox. That's what my mom used in the restaurant industry her whole career. Hard to beat the value vs quality. She used to say they were cheap enough to replace if you had to, but rarely did.

Still have her larger chef knife she used to chop through fish spines with the help of a rubber mallet and it's still in near perfect shape. Only drawback is strangely the Fibrox handles started to smell bad when she was going through chemo I think. Like the handles were absorbing the chemicals. Inherited her Victorinox knives, but they're all in storage for smelling like fucking chemo, which is weird and bad memories.

Also have a set of her Chicago Cutlery knives that I remember from when I was kid so are probably 45+ years old. Very sturdy, so much so I haven't been able to sharpen them really. Think I need to take them to a pro to grind them. Wouldn't use them, but are good nostalgia. Remember as a kid Mt brothers and I always laughing at the knife with "boner" printed on it.

Was using the wood block, but meh. Finally build a drawer insert knife holder out of wine corks. Not the most elegant thing, but I like way more than a block or magnet.

• 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
IMG_20230203_203006983_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_203016229.jpg

All Victorinox except a cheap Mercer bread knife that is great, the Dexter Russell, and a Mad Shark knife on the far right was a gift, and a piece of shit. Wanting to get another basic chef knife or curved meat carver.

Got all the corks set just to try out before gluing. Works fine without glue though so left it. Not fancy, but I'm a utilitarian.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx

I am a big fan of the Chinese style chef knife. I have been using one I got for $8 at the Korean market for like 6 years and I always liked it. If I wanted a nicer one... what do you think of smth like this?

if youre still looking for the shibazi, i had a friend order from aliexpress
126e207499eb8ee748e2526cb6d34232.png

it took 2 months to get there, he lives where BrutulTM BrutulTM is so i was talking to him about the balloon and he said he picked this up and liked it (asian boy)

same knife i linked b4 (if you need link again)
SHI BA ZI ZUO Kitchen Knife Professional Chef Knife Stainless Steel Vegetable Knife Safe Non-stick Finish Blade with Anti-slip Wooden Handle (9 inch)
it's 40bucks w/ a coupon on amazon now

you don't save much, i'd honestly rather goto amazon, even tho i've bought alot from aliexpress also, but if you don't like the knife you can just return it to amazon

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Looking for recommendations on cooking ware (pots, pans, etc) that won’t give me cancer Lanx Lanx I believe you said this thread was place to post for plan of attack

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Looking for recommendations on cooking ware (pots, pans, etc) that won’t give me cancer Lanx Lanx I believe you said this thread was place to post for plan of attack
yea you want to stay away from anything that has a nonstick/ceramic coating, they can and will eventually lose their bond to the pan either through repeated use or an accidental scrape, just don't deal w/ it and depending on your cuisine of choice you'll choose

stainless steel vs. cast iron(carbon steel) or a mixture of the 3, i don't have any copper pans or experience, so i can't talk about that.

note: if you have or plan to have an induction stove, look for stainless steel pans that are induction ready (cast iron/carbon steel is naturally inductive cuz it's just a hunk of iron)

if you know you do not have the patience to treat cast iron/carbon steel w/ extra care (wash by hand almost immediately after cooking, never dishwasher, build up to seasoning the pan)

you might want to just stick w/ stainless steel

you should start with a great skillet, 12" should cover your needs

cuisinart/all cald /tramontia (all clad clone from brazil)/kitchen aid /cooks standard, maybe BrutulTM BrutulTM has tried the misen cookware too?

best of the best is gonna be an all clad d3 12in and it even comes w/ a lid
9ed8f526d2cb0f9ec022033db621fb2a.png

All-Clad D3 Stainless Cookware, 12-Inch Fry Pan With Lid, Tri-Ply Stainless Steel, Professional Grade, Silver

12in skillet will most likely be most anyones daily driver for cooking, of course they get cheaper from there, they will be lighter and loose heat faster, they'll have a 3ply disc instead of having an all around design.

aside from that, saucepans/pots from 2qt to 8qt really don't need to have as much quality b/c lets be honest, you're just boiling water, even just a 3ply disc on the bottom will be fine.

lets start w/ the skillet and work from there, or if you are intested in cast iron/carbon steel, thats another game plan too

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users