Gravy's Cooking Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oven and Microwave are both surprisingly legit with bacon. I do both, oven just place them on a ridged baking sheet, no need for foil or anything. In microwave I do them on a plate and put paper towels between all the layers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Foil makes cleanup quite a bit easier
That's why I use foil. I'll also drain, then immediately use that greased up foil to cook potatoes or something. Like you said, it's just easier clean up.

Microwave is for reheating bacon. Not that you can't cook in it, but it's perfect for heating up for a BLT or quick breakfast if you have a bunch already cooked in the oven.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
4 minutes in the microwave, i have the Wowbacon bacon thingy. its not better or worse, its bacon. just faster and no mess.
wow-bacon-microwave-bacon-cooker.jpg
And you chug the grease?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bacon has a lot of fat. Don't fry it in oil, it will change the flavor and make it even greasier. Just render it in a pan with no oil/butter

Good idea. The greasiness is a real problem and drying them with paper towels doesn't get rid of all of it.

Rajaah Rajaah

Cook bacon on a cookie sheet lined with foil at 300-350. Just check it in 20 minutes or so and may need to flip. Just depends on whether it's gas or electric and how hot your oven gets.

When done cooking, drain the rendered oil and use it for something else, like pan fried sliced taters. It really is the easiest method that doesn't require you babysitting it. America's test kitchen says to put a little bit of water in the frying pan if you go that route, but I've not tried it. It's counterintuitive but apparently it helps facilitate Browning.

Smithfield is pretty good, stay away from Oscar Meyer (overpriced). We have better brands here in TX, and if I remember you live in a shitty state. Who knows there might be a local brand up there that puts out a nice product.

Get thick cut, and just look at the marbling to meat, should be able to find a decent pack that way. Costco brand isn't bad if you have one (Kirkland I think) especially for the price to quality. But I always go to a local butcher shop and probably get an even better product.

Alright I'm trying this next, oven with foil. Oven is electric. Smithfield is the only one I haven't tried yet so it's next. Definitely don't recommend Oscar Meyer. Have one remaining pack of that in the freezer and I think it'll just be an emergency ration if I run out of anything better and really need some bacon.

And yeah, my state is good at producing honey and maple syrup type products but not much else.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Good idea. The greasiness is a real problem and drying them with paper towels doesn't get rid of all of it.

Alright I'm trying this next, oven with foil. Oven is electric. Smithfield is the only one I haven't tried yet so it's next. Definitely don't recommend Oscar Meyer. Have one remaining pack of that in the freezer and I think it'll just be an emergency ration if I run out of anything better and really need some bacon.

And yeah, my state is good at producing honey and maple syrup type products but not much else.
Use the Oscar Meyer for making baked beans or smothered cabbage or something similar. Just any recipe requiring some bacon / pork fat. Hell, you could do coq au vin with it and I'm sure it'll be fine for that, just not on its own. It's not horrible, but cheap quality compared to the price. Even the shittiest bacon is still bacon after all.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I like Smithfield but prefer bacon from the local butcher that hasn’t been shrink wrapped in plastic. Don’t know exactly how to describe it but shrink wrapped bacon is more mushy and soggy. Also they way they wrap it at the butcher store makes it easier to reuse the wrapping and I’ll just do 4-6 slices at a time. When I get any shrink wrapped stuff I tend to cook the whole bag at once.

I cook my bacon on low and slow on medium low. It makes sure nothing gets burnt so that I can strain the leftover oil and keep it in a grease jar in my fridge. I use that oil to fry up potatoes and use it in place of butter for some stuff.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
or slather it up your asshole for your boyfriend. i dont judge.
Proud of you buddy, so progressive and accepting :D

On a bacon note, my 6 year old has a new found love of bacon. Asks for it for breakfast all the time

• 1Like
  • 1Trump

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Short notice but from my half beef doing 2 large thick rib steaks. Apparently basically bone in rib eye?

Recipe I kinda liked was sear then into the oven, but had once talked before, might as well pretend I'm 18 starting over learning to cook anything other than burger.

Did grab some crazy thick bacon to try as well so it's practically a skinny pork steak.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Short notice but from my half beef doing 2 large thick rib steaks. Apparently basically bone in rib eye?

Recipe I kinda liked was sear then into the oven, but add one talked about before might add well pretend I'm 18 starting over learning to cook anything other than burger.

Did grab some crazy thick bacon too try as well so it's practically a skinny pork steak.
I know I do talk to text a lot and it's sometimes pretty horrible but man.

What exactly are you trying to do? Can you link the recipe? If you have some really nice steaks I probably wouldn't use the oven to roast them unless it's an actual rib roast.

You can pan sear, and then finish them off in the oven if that's what you're talking about.

Sludig

I know I do talk to text a lot and it's sometimes pretty horrible but man.

What exactly are you trying to do? Can you link the recipe? If you have some really nice steaks I probably wouldn't use the oven to roast them unless it's an actual rib roast.

You can pan sear, and then finish them off in the oven if that's what you're talking about.

Sear and roast via something simple like this?

Edited to fix the middle that vomitted, I swype, and it likes to go between working well and being dogshit and I often don't notice it barfing as I'm so used to 95% of the time being at a keyboard where yknow what I typed went in. It's gotten to where it will struggle on some stupid shit basic word like "omen" and no matter how much i slowly draw the word it will kive me like "pork" when it's not even close on the keyboard.

Seems to get worse every time I add any dictionary word for something that's used often on FOH or internet slang in general. Fucks up the predictive for stuff not even what I'd call related nearby spellings.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Sear and roast via something simple like this?

Edited to fix the middle that vomitted, I swype, and it likes to go between working well and being dogshit and I often don't notice it barfing as I'm so used to 95% of the time being at a keyboard where yknow what I typed went in. It's gotten to where it will struggle on some stupid shit basic word like "omen" and no matter how much i slowly draw the word it will kive me like "pork" when it's not even close on the keyboard.

Seems to get worse every time I add any dictionary word for something that's used often on FOH or internet slang in general. Fucks up the predictive for stuff not even what I'd call related nearby spellings.
That'll work. If you've got a nice big thick ass ribeye a quick sear in cast iron with some aromatics and then toss it in the oven and probe for temp, you should get a decent steak.

For something like that the thicker the better. Guess that's why I asked whether or not you were doing a roast, but you're basically doing a mini roast. When you go to pull it out and let it rest, maybe make a nice pan sauce with all the crispy fond. Super thin sliced mushrooms and some shallots, splash of wine, bit of butter, you'll be eating well.

Enjoy, and post pics.

Sludig

That'll work. If you've got a nice big thick ass ribeye a quick sear in cast iron with some aromatics and then toss it in the oven and probe for temp, you should get a decent steak.

For something like that the thicker the better. Guess that's why I asked whether or not you were doing a roast, but you're basically doing a mini roast. When you go to pull it out and let it rest, maybe make a nice pan sauce with all the crispy fond. Super thin sliced mushrooms and some shallots, splash of wine, bit of butter, you'll be eating well.

Enjoy, and post pics.
Allergic to mushroom. Doing quick and dirty after work and farm chores. I was wrong and 2 thinner slices attacked in package. Part of not knowing what I was ordering on the cut sheet

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Allergic to mushroom. Doing quick and dirty after work and farm chores. I was wrong and 2 thinner slices attacked in package. Part of not knowing what I was ordering on the cut sheet
Don't sear and pop in the oven. By the time you get a good crust on a thinner steak you'll go to pop it in and you'll have over cooked it. Just pan sear and flip repeatedly.

Even without mushrooms you can still use the pan drippings and fond to make a sauce with onions and whatever else you got on hand.

• 1Like

Sludig

Don't sear and pop in the oven. By the time you get a good crust on a thinner steak you'll go to pop it in and you'll have over cooked it. Just pan sear and flip repeatedly.

Even without mushrooms you can still use the pan drippings and fond to make a sauce with onions and whatever else you got on hand.
20231025_192811.jpg

• 1Like

Sludig

Enjoy, and post pics.
aromatics, like the 5 year old Italian seasoning at the back of my cupboard? I might be one step below people who wash their chicken in dawn

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users