Gravy's Cooking Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My pie crust game is s-tier. All the fillings were A+ though. Caramel Apple, Pumpkin, Pecan.

I need to go to pie crust remedial training.
Mine are fucking phenomenal when I use my grandma's recipie with lard. It's just too much work though, so we buy them now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That sound delicious too. Never heard of anyone using an air compressor to loosen the skin. Now I have to look that up.

Last time I cooked a turkey I hand-pulled the skin away so I could rub garlic butter under it, trying to make it not dry. Worked okay. I also then wrapped the turkey breast with thick-cut bacon. Probably the best turkey I've ever had. Still not as good as goose or duck.
I made a 10gallon expansion tank for my air compressor, just so i can use it for peking duck, peking duck is serious business

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can any of y'all hit me with the ideal nacho cheese sauce recipe? I want it to be more liquidy. I have it mostly right but I've learned that you really need the exact right kind of cheese for it to get the right consistency. Unless you use Velveeta or something which I don't want to do.

I have the flavor right but not the consistency.
Use Sodium Citrate to any melted cheese to make it smooth and creamy. It keeps it from forming clumps and separating out from any fats. It's the secret ingredient in Velveeta and American Singles.

The cool thing it, you can add it to almost any cheese you want, and make a perfect creamy melted cheese sauce of that particular kind. Want melty gouda, just add it and stir. Pure sharp cheddar and this makes great pretzel stick dipping sauce. If you're going nachos, probably just use pepper jack and a little colby.

If you don't want to buy a pack of it for a one-time use, throwing in a little Velveeta or a few American singles may have enough to get you there.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If pie crust is too much work, you're doing it wrong. Almost the whole trick is to do it quickly. If you've been working at it for a while, that pie crust is gonna suck.

This year I've been exploring the wonders of slow roasting meats of all kinds. Turkey was no exception. 250 for 8 hours was the best fucking turkey I've ever had. Moist, fall off the bone tender, so freaking good.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Here's one I very much recommend. Not sure of the right name for it but its essentially a Korean Style Beef Bowl. It's really extremely flexible which is why my woman and kid are so addicted to it.

Basic Ingredients:
  1. 1/3 pound ground beef (or more you do you)
  2. 1 tablespoon Gochujang
  3. sesame oil
  4. soy sauce.
  5. vinegar
  6. honey (or sugar).
  7. Julienned/matchstick carrot
  8. Sliced Green Onion.
  9. 1 cup cooked white rice (or more).
For the Gochujang. If you have family that dislikes super spicy the Gochujang you can buy in American supermarkets is generally a lot more mild than the actual Korean brands. Korean brands of the stuff offer a variety of spice levels but the whatever generic one that Walmart or HEB sell is mild enough that my kid doesn't mind it, and she hates spicy things so far. The wife too.

Beef and sauce is the key part here:

Mix tablespoon of gochujang with a tablespoon of honey and a small dash of vinegar, sesame oil, and soy sauce then whisk it up until smooth. Brown the ground beef then mix in the sauce. Cook it until it gets nice and thick. Then get your bowl of rice topped with carrot/green onion and the beef and sauce in there.

Optional mix ins I like:
  • Diced Jalapeno
  • Diced Kimchi
  • Fried egg sunny side up.
All in all takes like 15 minutes to make start to finish assuming you threw some rice in the rice cooker a bit before. Really ideal for weeknights when you don't want to spend much time feeding the monsters.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Made this tonight.

Shitake, bok choy, shallot, shrimps in a soy-mushroom broth.

1700987901791.png

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anyone here ever made puff pastry? Anyone have a good and easy recipe? I've made it, but it is so much damned work and takes so much time. I hate buying it because it's expensive and never as good as home made.

There's this think I make with spiced chicken and spinach inside puff pastry. Hand sized pies you can take anywhere and eat them warm or cold.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone here ever made puff pastry? Anyone have a good and easy recipe? I've made it, but it is so much damned work and takes so much time. I hate buying it because it's expensive and never as good as home made.

There's this think I make with spiced chicken and spinach inside puff pastry. Hand sized pies you can take anywhere and eat them warm or cold.
I don't think there's an easy recipe. We've always just bought it when needed. Too much of a pain in the ass to make, but I'm sure it's far superior homemade.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't think there's an easy recipe. We've always just bought it when needed. Too much of a pain in the ass to make, but I'm sure it's far superior homemade.
There is the reason most of the really good stuff was created by trad wives. Shit just takes way too long to make if you have a job.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, that, or you're a French trained pastry chef.

It's why I leave baking to the wife.
Yea the baking couple i know, i view the dude as the better baking one, cuz he has adhd, an engineer that takes up baking, you know something is wrong with him, but youll have bomb ass pies

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yea the baking couple i know, i view the dude as the better baking one, cuz he has adhd, an engineer that takes up baking, you know something is wrong with him, but youll have bomb ass pies
Yeah I'm sure I could really learn it and become good at it, but I don't have the patience to follow recipes so accurately, because if you don't you will really screw them up baking.

I like to try different things and it's not to say that you can't get creative, but it's definitely way more regimented, and there are always certain ratios of ingredients that have to happen to make it work.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
You didn't even shell your shrimp?
I cooked them from frozen, last item I tossed in. It was also just me eating it so just kept a bowl next to me and shelled as I ate. If I was going to serve it for other people I would have.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I cooked them from frozen, last item I tossed in. It was also just me eating it so just kept a bowl next to me and shelled as I ate. If I was going to serve it for other people I would have.
I see nothing wrong with this.

New Orleans style BBQ shrimp always has the shells on because it adds to the sauce / dish. As long as they're split and cleaned, you leave the heads on, just peel and eat. You really do get a lot of extra flavor for a sauce or a broth by leaving the shell on. Hell, all seafood stock is crustacean carapace and fish heads / bones.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Girlfriend made her chocolate pie using Lotus Biscoff cookies using the crust recipe from their website with some added cinnamon. Came out perfect, held together well, tasted good, firm but melted in mouth. No more stuck bricks or crumbling messes.

• 1Like