Gravy's Cooking Thread

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Going to try T bones, not sure if they are appropriate for cast iron or if I should try in my shitty ninja grill thing. What were the herbs yall said to do when I try to do the scooping butter over it as it cooks? Was watching one video where they put shallow cuts all across it supposed to help somehow.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Going to try T bones, not sure if they are appropriate for cast iron or if I should try in my shitty ninja grill thing. What were the herbs yall said to do when I try to do the scooping butter over it as it cooks? Was Iwatching one video where they put shallow cuts all across it supposed to help somehow.
Something to consider. I found that with tbone/porterhouse the bone more often then not was in the way and didn't give the meat proper contact to the pan. Now I always butcher them off the bone before cooking. Yes it loses some of that marrow flavor not being cooked on the bone, but the meat is always consistently cooked this way.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can cook a t-bone in a cast iron pan just fine. T-bones are generally hard to cook because it's really 2 steaks that are different sizes so it's tough to get them cooked evenly. I don't personally want any herbs on my steak either. Salt and pepper and you never make anything worse with butter.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Going to try T bones, not sure if they are appropriate for cast iron or if I should try in my shitty ninja grill thing. What were the herbs yall said to do when I try to do the scooping butter over it as it cooks? Was watching one video where they put shallow cuts all across it supposed to help somehow.
Rosemary or thyme are fine. Just go easier with rosemary because it can overwhelm quickly. I'd probably just roll with thyme and a clove or two of garlic with salt and pepper.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Rosemary or thyme are fine. Just go easier with rosemary because it can overwhelm quickly. I'd probably just roll with thyme and a clove or two of garlic with salt and pepper.
Since steak prices went way up the last couple years I’ve been buying pork chops(usually prime for like$5/lb) instead of steaks if I don’t see any good sales. I cook the pork chops exactly like this and they are amazing cooked this way.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
For T bone. Salt like 45 minutes before. Opinions vary, but I pepper after or the pepper can taste burned/butter to me.

Good amount of oil in the pan because the oil is also working to seer and a t-bone won't always make good pan contact.

Hot pan with a good time to get to temp. I usually do 10 minutes on low, the raise it for ten, then raise it again a few minutes before adding oil.

Oil should be going but not burning. Put steak in pretty quick after the oil. Hood fan on high. Don't be afraid to flip and baste to help even cooking.

Then I'd finish in oven as it's easier to control temps (and use the thermometer without oil splatters). I usually want the pan free to saute some veggies or deglaze a sauce, but can do that while it's resting too.

I don't do herbs in the pan. Will pepper during resting. Maybe some more course salt right before serving, after tasting an end piece. Sometimes a light dusting of cumin because I like the taste with beef.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone using ChatGPT for recipes?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Anyone using ChatGPT for recipes?
It's not great with recipes in my experience.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 18-59-32 ChatGPT.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users