Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You probably forgot to strain it!
dude i'm so asian i have a rice only strainer
269a17be12e5dc06282cdacb1b3aa30c.png

(b/c you don't want to wash your rice in the bowl to damage it)

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
i've made instantpot rice, in fact i have 2 instant pots

instant pot rice is garbage

maybe it's for white ppl rice, but that shit was unedible
I'm confused by this. I think we did it differently. I'm not saying you did it wrong of course, I dont know shit about rice. But definitely differently.

I don't understand why, but its not ready until about 40+ minutes after the timer says its ready. I guess it needs to steam for a while? Anyway if you open before that time its garbage. Wait til about 40+ minutes, open lid, fluff, and eat.

the rice I make this way is like exactly identical to Chinese food takeout white rice.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
dude i'm so asian i have a rice only strainer
269a17be12e5dc06282cdacb1b3aa30c.png

(b/c you don't want to wash your rice in the bowl to damage it)
Gotta wash your rice like a jogger washes they's chicken, no-wha-i-meen! Keeping it real.

I do know washing your rice is good, but you don't need a fucking specific bowl for it. Just use a goddamn fine mesh colander.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
He's also got a special rice only grill grate for when him and his hispanic buddies want to have a BBQ

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gotta wash your rice like a jogger washes they's chicken, no-wha-i-meen! Keeping it real.

I do know washing your rice is good, but you don't need a fucking specific bowl for it. Just use a goddamn fine mesh colander.
you can't swirl washing rice in a colander, you white ppl

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
you can't swirl washing rice in a colander, you white ppl
Honestly don't know what the hell that God damn bowl is. Is it fucking salad spinner for rice? Again I don't think you necessarily need to have something that goddamn Goofy, but to each their own. It's a free country and if you want to do a bunch of weird shit to cook your rice food or whatever then so be it.

I would imagine you know I'm just busting your balls. You're one of the good ones Lanx Lanx , well sort of...😉

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Honestly don't know what the hell that God damn bowl is. Is it fucking salad spinner for rice? Again I don't think you necessarily need to have something that goddamn Goofy, but to each their own. It's a free country and if you want to do a bunch of weird shit to cook your rice food or whatever then so be it.

I would imagine you know I'm just busting your balls. You're one of the good ones Lanx Lanx , well sort of...😉
we don't "goof" when it comes to rice

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
What would you determine is the top two or three things you can cook or bake, where you can just throw it together? Something you've made so many times, no written recipe, you just make it and it turns out defuckinglicious every time.
Me: gravy. 😁

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
What would you determine is the top two or three things you can cook or bake, where you can just throw it together? Something you've made so many times, no written recipe, you just make it and it turns out defuckinglicious every time.
Probably some type of bread pudding. It's so versatile, and as long as you know how to make a custard you can use whatever bread you got on hand, and any other sweet ingredients. A lot of the times during Christmas I'll do a bananas Foster bread pudding and I'll use croissants. I've done it with mixed berries as well. I know it might be cliched but the sky really is the limit when it comes to that particular dessert.

I guess the other thing would maybe be oatmeal cookies.

The wife knows how to do a New York style cheesecake without ever having to follow any instructions, and despite it being a long process it's probably one of the best ones I've ever had.

• 2Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Probably some type of bread pudding. It's so versatile, and as long as you know how to make a custard you can use whatever bread you got on hand, another sweet ingredients. A lot of the times during Christmas I'll do a bananas Foster bread pudding and I'll use croissants. I've done it with mixed berries as well. I know it might be cliched but the sky really is the limit when it comes to that particular dessert.

I guess the other thing would maybe be oatmeal cookies.

The wife knows how to do a New York style cheesecake without ever having to follow any instructions, and despite it being a long process it's probably one of the best ones I've ever had.
Bread pudding is the yum. I am so going to try it with croissants, now!
I love a good oatmeal cookie. I'm not a huge fan of them if they have chocolate chips in them. I am a fan of plumped raisins or cranberries though.
Lucky you on the wife's skill!

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Bread pudding is the yum. I am so going to try it with croissants, now!
I love a good oatmeal cookie. I'm not a huge fan of them if they have chocolate chips in them. I am a fan of plumped raisins or cranberries though.
Lucky you on the wife's skill!
The croissants really add a another level of richness to the dish. My mom used to make one that had masticated cherries and I think almonds and amaretto, but also had this vanilla cream sauce where you used the whole vanilla bean. The tartness of the cherries really plays well with the creamy richness of the pudding.

I haven't had it in a good long time, but hell I think I need to make it now.

• 1Solidarity

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Chocolate chip cookies - America's Test Kitchen recipe is burned in my brain, down to the fact that I know you need to add 2 extra tablespoons of flour. I can knock out a batch and have it baked in 30 minutes, and most of that time is spooning it out and 20 minutes bake time. If you like your chocolate chip cookies thick and chewy, its a go to.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Chocolate chip cookies - America's Test Kitchen recipe is burned in my brain, down to the fact that I know you need to add 2 extra tablespoons of flour. I can knock out a batch and have it baked in 30 minutes, and most of that time is spooning it out and 20 minutes bake time. If you like your chocolate chip cookies thick and chewy, its a go to.
Yeah, a lot of their recipes are rock solid. I know if we make homemade biscuits we use their layering method for the dough with a ton of butter and oh my God they're pretty fantastic. Little bit more work but that's why I make the wife make them at times on the weekend.

She probably knows that one by heart at this point.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, a lot of their recipes are rock solid. I know if we make homemade biscuits we use their layering method for the dough with a ton of butter and oh my God they're pretty fantastic. Little bit more work but that's why I make the wife make them at times on the weekend.

She probably knows that one by heart at this point.

Their pie crust is another example. Really good, but who has time to cut in butter, than cut in shortening, then add in chilled water, and then add in chilled vodka. I like a good crust as the next guy but I'm not making a pie for the king of a country who will behead me if he hates it FFS.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Snowstorm curry, just potatoes and carrot

Obviously i am cheating with premade curry that i have "lying around" lulz

Wife is happy, so who cares really
0115241537_HDR.jpg

Made more rice cuz she also said she wanted fried rice tonight, gonna see how that is gonna happen since its all snow outside and i prefer to use the outdoor wok for fried rice.

• 2Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

I have a knack for seasoning dependant sauces. Like BBQ or finishing sauces. Pan sauces. Extend that to dripping gravies or seasoning chili or stroganoff. I'll try to look at recipes, but get annoyed and wing it.

Or once I was trying to follow a recipe for a finish sauce for pulled pork and ended up doing the first half of one recipe then the second half of another. It tasted off, and realized what I did, so just winged it to bring flavors back into line.

l get asked for recipes on things like that I couldn't replicate if I tried, and find most people's versions lacking, so must be doing something right.

Can't make Alfredo sauce, though, recipe or no just never works for me and winging it usually ends badly. After it's already made I can get the flavor just right though.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tried my first ever cake from scratch. Cooking is fun. Baking is stress-filled work. Made the cake and buttercream icing. Went just vanilla/vanilla for the first attempt.

20240115_181242.jpg

20240115_181253.jpg

20240115_185153.jpg

edit: Came out pretty damned good. Real moist and nice strong vanilla flavor. I used the vanilla I bought in the DR on vacation (the one that is 1/10th the price of here in the US). I'm genuinely surprised how it came out.
20240115_190523.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Tried my first ever cake from scratch. Cooking is fun. Baking is stress-filled work. Made the cake and buttercream icing. Went just vanilla/vanilla for the first attempt.

View attachment 509436

View attachment 509437

View attachment 509438

edit: Came out pretty damned good. Real moist and nice strong vanilla flavor. I used the vanilla I bought in the DR on vacation (the one that is 1/10th the price of here in the US). I'm genuinely surprised how it came out.
View attachment 509441
Nice crumb!