Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
acting was so horribad, could not watch
I was just more curious if it seemed legit and how it was built. I'm sure those dipshits are making a mint off of doing dumb shit like that on YouTube, though. I don't think I watch anything of that nature, but apparently there are millions upon millions of people that do. It's just goofy reality TV mindless entertainment.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Not sure if I'm a genius or idiot. I haven't had good luck with Alfredo. We had some cheese tortellini that needed eaten. So I just made a cheese sauce like I was making mac and cheese... Because while I can't make Alfredo, cheese gravy is no problem. Mac and cheese tortellini is pretty good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Not sure if I'm a genius or idiot. I haven't had good luck with Alfredo. We had some cheese tortellini that needed eaten. So I just made a cheese sauce like I was making mac and cheese... Because while I can't make Alfredo, cheese gravy is no problem. Mac and cheese tortellini is pretty good.
What with Alfred gives you trouble?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I do a lot of aromatics when I boil potatoes for mashing or whatever. Will normally throw maybe a clover to a garlic or do a bouquet garney of whatever herbs I have on hand. It doesn't typically overpower the flavor of the potatoes but it just adds a subtle difference.

I could see you boiling potatoes and clam juice or maybe a seafood stock really making it next level. I'm sure there are professional chefs that probably do something like that. It's almost no different than when you have boiled potatoes in a shrimp crawfish boil to soak up that flavor. If you did seafood stock you're just reinforcing that taste of the sea type deal.

Searing the potatoes, or Skillet frying would definitely give you some good crunchy bits instead of them just being soft, especially done in some butter for more richness. You could fry your pork fat, and then cook your potatoes in that along with your aromatics, and then do your roux. I guess it really just depends on what flavor profile you're going for, or if you're wanting to get just that contrasting texture. Hell you could even fire up the grill and bake the potatoes over charcoal first to give them some smokiness and then cut them up and toss them in the pot. You could even put your stocks of celery and onion or leeks and toss them on there too.
Steady puts a bit of lemon zest in mashed potatoes, it is delicious.
We tried mandarin zest too, which also was interesting.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Steady puts a bit of lemon zest in mashed potatoes, it is delicious.
We tried mandarin zest too, which also was interesting.
I've not done lemon in mashed potatoes, but when we do Greek chicken, I'll throw a lemon halves and a bulb of garlic, oregano or rosemary in with the potatoes we're roasting under the bird. All the fat and juices help spread that lemon flavor. Splash of white wine and chicken stock at the end to make a sauce. Always comes out well.

I bet lemon zest would be great in colcannon. Would really compliment the kale,parsley, and leeks. Mandarin, that's a different story. Maybe with rice or other grains.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've not done lemon in mashed potatoes, but when we do Greek children,
i've learned that
white ppl really love any kind of veal
51f5bd1322d59cbef941c4bde71c36a3.jpg

idk why my bias saw that as children, maybe cuz white ppl food was so tough

• 2Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
What with Alfred gives you trouble?

Well if I knew.... It just always splits a little and is grainier than I prefer. Or too thick. Might just be I prefer it processed from a jar though. I'm not too proud to admit one of the only things I like at olive garden is the dipping side of Alfredo that seems a bit smoky.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Have you tried making cheese sauce with sodium citrate? It's almost fool proof. But it does set a bit thick when it cools.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Have you tried making cheese sauce with sodium citrate? It's almost fool proof. But it does set a bit thick when it cools.

Not directly. Have done some cheese soup and Mac with Velveeta for that reason. I do okay with regular cheese sauces, it's just Alfredo I'm never happy with.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Well if I knew.... It just always splits a little and is grainier than I prefer. Or too thick. Might just be I prefer it processed from a jar though. I'm not too proud to admit one of the only things I like at olive garden is the dipping side of Alfredo that seems a bit smoky.
The cheat for Alfredo is to add some cream cheese, which might actually just be a way to get some emulsifiers in there.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not directly. Have done some cheese soup and Mac with Velveeta for that reason. I do okay with regular cheese sauces, it's just Alfredo I'm never happy with.
So just make some Velvredo.

I've never made Alfredo sauce. But I have made many cheese sauces with pecorino and cheddar. The pecorino always came out a bit grainy, but I didn't care cuz it's going in a lasagna.

If I were to guess, the higher protein on hard cheeses puts a ceiling on how smooth you can make the sauce without a bit of chemical cheating.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if I were to guess, the higher protein on hard cheeses puts a ceiling on how smooth you can make the sauce without a bit of chemical cheating.
is that why that instant pot recipe is used for alfredo to use pressure to break down the cheesey proteins?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've always just made it with heavy cream, butter, and a combo of Parmesan and Pecorino Romano. I've seen where you can add an egg yolk to help emulsify some, but haven't tried it.

Start reducing cream, add cold butter, toss in cheese in portions, constantly stirring. Add pasta, and doesn't have to be thoroughly dry. Reserve some pasta water, or splash with a little more cream for desired consistency.

I think a lot of it is just the right temp and constantly moving so you can make that emulsification happen. I guess if you were going to add the egg yolk you do it when you maybe have the butter, I don't remember but you would need to temper it first.

But send me what pasta or pasta water is going to help emulsify it some because of the starches.

I guess when I was learning to make it I broke the sauce a couple of times before I sort of got it down and at this point I just kind of know what to do, and if you do it enough you get a knack for it.

I don't make it from scratch very often any longer, not that it's hard, but I'll take a jar of the pre-made and then add more cream less butter and then whatever cheese I want. I find that if I'm putting together a whole bunch of other stuff and if I'm bouncing back and forth, the stabilizers in the pre-made stuff keep the sauce from breaking if I'm gone too long. I can literally shut it off and then turn it back on just to heat right before dinner, normally because I might be out on the grill with whatever protein. I honestly can't tell the difference that much between straight up scratch versus the doctored version.

Sometimes all grate some lemons zest or maybe throw a sprig or two of time or a bit of fresh basil in, and usually always have parsley. You can always add garlic to, but just soften that with a nob of butter and then add your cream. Can always splash a quarter cup of white wine in and cook the alcohol off when you're doing the garlic if you want additional flavor. Probably not Alfredo at that point but whatever, it tastes good.

I know the true blue traditional Italian doesn't use cream and it's literally just butter, cheese, and pasta water I think. Cream is the Americanized version.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
constantly stirring.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Part of my problem is halfway through I'm like why didn't I just buff up some from a jar. I think I was just trying to learn real Alfredo to impress an ex at done point. Might give it a go again just to say I can.

Same with risotto. Now we just do barley using broth with mushroom and I like it good enough and it's easy.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Part of my problem is halfway through I'm like why didn't I just buff up some from a jar. I think I was just trying to learn real Alfredo to impress an ex at done point. Might give it a go again just to say I can.

Same with risotto. Now we just do barley using broth with mushroom and I like it good enough and it's easy.
Risotto is definitely more time consuming. Have to toast, constantly stir, laddle your hot liquid, etc. I think I usually follow Kenjis method and it's never steered me wrong. It's worth the effort and I'll typically make wild mushroom risotto when I do duck or pheasant, but it's a special meal side. It can't sit long and has to be served fresh, so timing timing with the rest of the meal can make it a pain.

You can reheat it with more cream and wine, but it's never as good the next day. I have done box risotto before from the Italian area in my grocery store and it's pretty decent. Typically will get a couple of boxes when it's on sale to keep around for easy meals. It's much more forgiving, but doesn't compare to homemade. You can still jazz it up with wine, stock, cream, cheese, or appropriate stuff for whatever flavor it is. I don't remember the brand, but there's a couple out there that are tasty.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Now we just do barley using broth with mushroom and I like it good enough and it's easy.
I gave faro a shot the other day and it turned out pretty well, it's been a while since I've had barley so I can't really compare the two.

• 2Like