Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hey I really tried to plate it up better than I normally do. I think that was the plate I made for my wife, mine was a little different. I was just tired of cooking and hungry. Really was delicious meal. Ended up making all that for her birthday.

View attachment 512911
That's more my speed...
Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded slipping in that pubic hair
dd5f61d94c535f0f6577779835cdd57b.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Yeah, we're only buying it when it's on sale typically, and even then the prices are stupid, well, like everything else. My parents did the same thing with always saving the grease, as did my grandparents. They always had a jar of it on the counter, and I've always done the same.

HEB does sell I want to say a 1 1/2lb package of off cuts of quality bacon, nice thick pieces, for about 4.50. I'll buy it when I just need bacon for a specific recipe, but you're kind of rolling the dice on whether or not you're going to get any large whole pieces. I'm also found it to be a little saltier than I prefer, but for the price it works.
Living in fly-over country with small family farms and neighborhood butchers still in existence has benefits, good, worth the price bacon is one of them!
(Bacon grease crock on my counter, too.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Does anyone know anything about restaurant equipment brands?

We are stuck with electric for right now and I can't find a kitchen range replacement that has a quality griddle I'm ready to pull the trigger on. I did see a bunch of restaurant and catering equipment suppliers sell countertop units that are in the 24-36" range that are meant for commercial use.

Are any of these quality and worth it to the point you can actually cook a burger or breakfast on it? We have a crappy $50 cheapy I use for pancakes if people are over or things like that but not happy with it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The only thing I've found that plugs into an outlet that can put a satisfactory crust on meat is an air fryer. Foreman grill, panini press, electric griddle, whatever, all seem to overcook the meat by the time a good crust forms.

Is a stovetop griddle pan not an option? You just have a stove and not a range?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
An induction burner and a cast iron pan will set your steak on fire if you want it to.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

We are stuck with electric for right now and I can't find a kitchen range replacement that has a quality griddle I'm ready to pull the trigger on. I did see a bunch of restaurant and catering equipment suppliers sell countertop units that are in the 24-36" range that are meant for commercial use.

Are any of these quality and worth it to the point you can actually cook a burger or breakfast on it? We have a crappy $50 cheapy I use for pancakes if people are over or things like that but not happy with it.
is a countertop griddle out of the question?
d4c98dce083ea4e5eed8c4ffd14d4389.png

22" 1600W Electric Countertop Griddle with Adjustable Temp Control - VEVOR

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The only thing I've found that plugs into an outlet that can put a satisfactory crust on meat is an air fryer. Foreman grill, panini press, electric griddle, whatever, all seem to overcook the meat by the time a good crust forms.

Is a stovetop griddle pan not an option? You just have a stove and not a range?
I don't think griddle pans work on at least electric ranges I've had but that's purely anecdotal. I'm cautious about upgrading because I'd like to bring propane to the house but it's a bigger project and it just hasn't happened yet.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
An induction burner and a cast iron pan will set your steak on fire if you want it to.
I have considered going this route but to be honest I've never had an induction anything and somewhat skeptical and I'm looking for better temperature control overall than generic electric which is God awful.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

You're not going to find a lot of industrial electric ranges. Everyone goes gas, which you should too, at the earliest possible convenience. If you find a commercial electric it's going to be more "plain" than residential ranges. No timers, no clock, nothing of that sort. This makes them functional, but not necessarily convenient. Bosch makes a nice one that I've used at a friends house, but it's expensive as all get out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think griddle pans work on at least electric ranges I've had but that's purely anecdotal. I'm cautious about upgrading because I'd like to bring propane to the house but it's a bigger project and it just hasn't happened yet.
Sure they do. I have an electric stovetop and it heats a griddle pan similar to a regular pan. You perhaps to be a bit more cautious wrt placement, handling, and hotspots, but it does work.

Perhaps we're talking past each other. I think griddle pan, I just think of the long rectangular pans that are designed to go over multiple burners.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sure they do. I have an electric stovetop and it heats a griddle pan similar to a regular pan. You perhaps to be a bit more cautious wrt placement, handling, and hotspots, but it does work.

Perhaps we're talking past each other. I think griddle pan, I just think of the long rectangular pans that are designed to go over multiple burners.
Yea that's what I mean I have tried two and neither work on my range very well. Temperature control is poor and hot spots are bad.

You're not going to find a lot of industrial electric ranges. Everyone goes gas, which you should too, at the earliest possible convenience. If you find a commercial electric it's going to be more "plain" than residential ranges. No timers, no clock, nothing of that sort. This makes them functional, but not necessarily convenient. Bosch makes a nice one that I've used at a friends house, but it's expensive as all get out.

Yes I know but that's why I'm looking for a good quality countertop griddle in the interim.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yea that's what I mean I have tried two and neither work on my range very well. Temperature control is poor and hot spots are bad.
I guess I've gotten used to electric over the past ten years. I load up a griddle pan with 8 slices of french toast. If I flipped them "normally", there would definitely be uneven cooking. So I have to babysit them a bit more, flipping on 2 axes instead of one and moving pieces around as they finish.

If hotspots are a deal breaker for you, maybe a cast iron griddle pan(do those exist?), or try induction like Brutul suggested.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I guess I've gotten used to electric over the past ten years. I load up a griddle pan with 8 slices of french toast. If I flipped them "normally", there would definitely be uneven cooking. So I have to babysit them a bit more, flipping on 2 axes instead of one and moving pieces around as they finish.

If hotspots are a deal breaker for you, maybe a cast iron griddle pan(do those exist?), or try induction like Brutul suggested.
i had a cast iron griddle pan, it was by lodge, i hated it cuz it warped

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Yes I have an aluminum and cast iron one. Sucks. :(

My range is maybe 15 years old and I hate it but I'm trying to wait. My HVAC guy said he might have spots for new propane installs this year but the permits are ridiculous and it's just a lot of work so I just haven't been motivated. Plus my existing stuff works great because it's all pre collapse kitchenaid, and I don't really want to replace all the kitchen appliances at the moment. Yes it's dumb but that's why I'd rather spend like $700 on some nice portable commercial countertop griddle and reevaluate in a few years if we're still in this house.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yes I have an aluminum and cast iron one. Sucks. :(

My range is maybe 15 years old and I hate it but I'm trying to wait. My HVAC guy said he might have spots for new propane installs this year but the permits are ridiculous and it's just a lot of work so I just haven't been motivated. Plus my existing stuff works great because it's all pre collapse kitchenaid, and I don't really want to replace all the kitchen appliances at the moment. Yes it's dumb but that's why I'd rather spend like $700 on some nice portable commercial countertop griddle and reevaluate in a few years if we're still in this house.
checking it out looks like 3000w is about the max for a 30in surface on 110, you want higher watt then of course that'll be going to 240 which is where it seems restaurant range is

Palum

what Suineg set it to
checking it out looks like 3000w is about the max for a 30in surface on 110, you want higher watt then of course that'll be going to 240 which is where it seems restaurant range is

Yea I noticed there were a few larger ones (29") but then they had really bad spacing on heating element so meh.

I think I might try this one, seems decent price/quality range and seems like probably same factory as some of the less expensive commercial ones on the restaurant supply sites for twice the price.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea I noticed there were a few larger ones (29") but then they had really bad spacing on heating element so meh.

I think I might try this one, seems decent price/quality range and seems like probably same factory as some of the less expensive commercial ones on the restaurant supply sites for twice the price.

yea they all look generically the same, that one does offer a 22in but it's 3k watt, i think i'd rather have the powa