Gravy's Cooking Thread

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Do you normally have different levels of tolerances for sweets? Honeycrisp tend to be pretty sweet already.

I bet some vanilla ice-cream would have helped.

I'm just joking but it does sound really sweet.

Pie GIF
There is no such thing as too sweet for me, so maybe too much for him. Last time I’d tried I used some red delicious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Your husband may just be like me. I don't mind sweet things, I don't crave them but I don't mind then. But for some reason I really, really dislike apple in any savory dish. Most other fruit I don't mind but no thanks to apple.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Do you normally have different levels of tolerances for sweets? Honeycrisp tend to be pretty sweet already.

I bet some vanilla ice-cream would have helped.

I'm just joking but it does sound really sweet.

Pie GIF
That's my thought. Sweet is fine, but it's got to be balanced by spice or acidity. Add a bit of soy or garlic for umami.

I don't mind sweet flavorings on proteins, but if the dish tastes like a dessert why the hell am I not eating dessert. Chicken is also pretty damn bland, so the apples are just going to override any of the chicken flavor, or what little there is. Maybe if you have toned some of the sweetness down and did this with a pork loin or a thick chop, you might get better results.

Hey some people like it though so if it tastes good to you so be it, definitely not my cup of tea.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Oh my lol what have we been talking about? lol vanilla extract not people extract

edited for you lulz

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Isn't that just soaking the pods in a neutral alcohol for a really long time? Can't remember.

Yes, most people use Vodka - high proof - the longer it sits the stronger it gets. I think 3months is about the minimum - some people have 2+ year batches.

A big bag of like 50 B-grade beans on amazon aint that bad. I was going to make some for myself for use, and buy little bottles to give as gifts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I am currently in New Mexico, here to visit my in laws (Gravy's family).
I have not seen them since the FUNeral.
I arrived yesterday afternoon and am already in food heaven. My sister in-law, Liz made her chile Colorado last night. Holy guacamole (she made that too) was it good. I'm in the land of yum.
Will get some recipes while I am here!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I am currently in New Mexico, here to visit my in laws (Gravy's family).
I have not seen them since the FUNeral.
I arrived yesterday afternoon and am already in food heaven. My sister in-law, Liz made her chile Colorado last night. Holy guacamole (she made that too) was it good. I'm in the land of yum.
Will get some recipes while I am here!
Noice. I love just about everything made with Hatch chiles.