Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah mine is very liquid - so I do not know to strain it and get rid of all the excess rum- or do as they say and let it sit to firm up and let the alcohol mellow.

I have never used vanilla paste so I do not have a reference like I do with extract.

Homegoods or Marshals had some french real copper (and stainless, we know don't put food on raw copper...) cookware, but only had really odd pieces - looked up the common ones I would want and - for once the "Retail price / our price" sticker was true, the things were 300-500$ and they had em for 50-150 but only small quart pots and a sauce pot... and if I was going to go down that road I would want to get a full matching set.
Yeah you got to be willing to kind of mix and match. I bought some odds and ends here and there of other coatings just to try them out if they looked interesting, and a lot of the times it might be 10 or 20 bucks. It's pretty random on what they have though, but deals can be found on some quality stuff.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
speaking of cookware, i tried the pink stuff to clean one of my stained pots. it did alright not as good as bar keepers friend, but it smells better at least, and the "paste" is nice

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Couple things my sweet sweet fohbaes.

1. I've been on a pizza learning adventure. Until the past few months my dough always came out way too fucking elastic. Insanely hard to shape. My friend sent me this recipe and it's a winner:
The fix seems to be to increase hydration and proof a lot longer with less yeast. Let it do it's thing. I've been doing it in the oven on a stone and sometimes in the egg, but I find the egg too inconsistant at extremely high heat. It's a far better beast for under 500 cooks or things that dont require a really good even 650+ F heat distribution. I'm gonna get an ooni if I see a sale.

1709242014304.png

2. I took the same dough and did Detroit Style and holy shit I'll be making this every weekend for a bit. Blew cash on the nice aluminum pans.
1709242069071.png

3. I've been following this guy on Youtube who makes sashimi from Costco salmon. He has a solid curing process where sprinkle on salt and sugar, leave in fridge for 45 min. Wash it off. Dry. Wrap in paper towel and zip lock and freeze. Haven't gotten the shits yet. Also started making some tasty cilantro, garlic, and ginger oil.

1709242269330.png

4. My fave condiment right now is chili crunch oil. (also seen above.

Eggs. Sashimi. Mac and cheese. Put it the fuck on.

• 7Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 7 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Couple things my sweet sweet fohbaes.

1. I've been on a pizza learning adventure. Until the past few months my dough always came out way too fucking elastic. Insanely hard to shape. My friend sent me this recipe and it's a winner:
The fix seems to be to increase hydration and proof a lot longer with less yeast. Let it do it's thing. I've been doing it in the oven on a stone and sometimes in the egg, but I find the egg too inconsistant at extremely high heat. It's a far better beast for under 500 cooks or things that dont require a really good even 650+ F heat distribution. I'm gonna get an ooni if I see a sale.

View attachment 517139

2. I took the same dough and did Detroit Style and holy shit I'll be making this every weekend for a bit. Blew cash on the nice aluminum pans.
View attachment 517140

3. I've been following this guy on Youtube who makes sashimi from Costco salmon. He has a solid curing process where sprinkle on salt and sugar, leave in fridge for 45 min. Wash it off. Dry. Wrap in paper towel and zip lock and freeze. Haven't gotten the shits yet. Also started making some tasty cilantro, garlic, and ginger oil.

View attachment 517142

4. My fave condiment right now is chili crunch oil. (also seen above.

Eggs. Sashimi. Mac and cheese. Put it the fuck on.

When I worked as a chef we would get live salmon, cut it to the shape we wanted, then freeze it. When salmon tartare was ordered we would use the meat slicer to cut it paper thin. It is almost instantly thawed, and because it was so thin it really took on the flavour of whatever we put on it. Usually lemon juice, capers, red onions, and a bit of white wine. It was absolutely delicious, even though the salmon was frozen,

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Goin back on cooper cookware and a bit on how people are morons or just have a really stupid way of talking and thinking -

while searching for copper cookware there is this:

“And while we have you, a rumor we'd like to dispel: Copper is 100% safe to cook in, so long as it is lined with another, non-reactive metal (and most copper cookware is). Most commonly, you'll find linings made of nickel, tin, or stainless steel.”

the “rumor” is you can’t cook ON copper, so you want to dispel it by saying - YOU CANT COOK IN COOPER DIRECTLY - WTF is wrong with people in this how all the bloggers and writers are? Hey someone said something true - but well I don’t like it so I have to say the same thing but not.

most good stainless pans when I was growing up had copper cores for heat and stuff- all the old copper only stuff was for display. And yea any copper stuff you buy made for cooking has stainless etc later for what you put your food on. The copper is for looks if it’s thin or heat if it’s thick like it should be. wife always makes fun of me for punching all the pans I look at to buy to gauge their thickness.

we commonly use an ikea 365 frying pan- we have had 4- they are well priced and last about 2-3 years- but they keep getting cheaper made sadly

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
When I worked as a chef we would get live salmon, cut it to the shape we wanted, then freeze it. When salmon tartare was ordered we would use the meat slicer to cut it paper thin. It is almost instantly thawed, and because it was so thin it really took on the flavour of whatever we put on it. Usually lemon juice, capers, red onions, and a bit of white wine. It was absolutely delicious, even though the salmon was frozen,
I'm addicted to it right now. I might die from Mercury poisoning

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx hey man, what starch do you use for Karage? I was thinking about making something this weekend and I know you posted some suggestions or a recipe but I couldn't find it trying to go back pages. Wanted to say it was from a guy that was doing sushi stuff, but that may have been tempura.

Speaking of which I have that whole week of making sushi and once I get the rice down, it was pretty good and I'm going to make more this weekend. Was my birthday earlier this week and for something reason I wanted to make more Japanese food, but the stupid grocery store had to shut down their seafood and meet market area due to renovations or something, so I'm trying to improvise.

I'll put a post together at some point with my sushi adventures and where I fucked up, but also what turned out great. There's definitely a learning curve and it's not something I've ever done before, but maybe that's why I want to make more of it because it's just of fun and tasty.

Want to get good at so I'll be able to make it whenever I'm in the mood.

Thank you for the information that you provided when I was going on that cooking adventure, it really helped, especially with the brand of rice. Once I got it dialed in it was amazing.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx hey man, what starch do you use for Karage? I was thinking about making something this weekend and I know you posted some suggestions or a recipe but I couldn't find it trying to go back pages. Wanted to say it was from a guy that was doing sushi stuff, but that may have been tempura.

Speaking of which I have that whole week of making sushi and once I get the rice down, it was pretty good and I'm going to make more this weekend. Was my birthday earlier this week and for something reason I wanted to make more Japanese food, but the stupid grocery store had to shut down their seafood and meet market area due to renovations or something, so I'm trying to improvise.

I'll put a post together at some point with my sushi adventures and where I fucked up, but also what turned out great. There's definitely a learning curve and it's not something I've ever done before, but maybe that's why I want to make more of it because it's just of fun and tasty.

Want to get good at so I'll be able to make it whenever I'm in the mood.

Thank you for the information that you provided when I was going on that cooking adventure, it really helped, especially with the brand of rice. Once I got it dialed in it was amazing.
i mix ap and potato starch

if youre doing anything japanese, besides panko, the coating of choice would be potato starch, maybe experiment w/ rice flour as well

potato starch is pretty expensive on amazon, get it from your asian grocer, probably like 3bucks a lb

which rice did you get the golden tamanishiki?

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i mix ap and potato starch

if youre doing anything japanese, besides panko, the coating of choice would be potato starch, maybe experiment w/ rice flour as well

potato starch is pretty expensive on amazon, get it from your asian grocer, probably like 3bucks a lb

which rice did you get the golden tamanishiki?
So what on earth is tapioca starch used for? I swear it's for some sort of fried Asian protein. I was thinking it was maybe that or is it supplemental?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So what on earth is tapioca starch used for? I swear it's for some sort of fried Asian protein. I was thinking it was maybe that or is it supplemental?
boba tea and gluten free (i made a few things for a gluten free bitch in topeka)

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
boba tea and gluten free (i made a few things for a gluten free bitch in topeka)
Is it Korean fried Chicken that some recipes have tapioca flour? There's something out there recipe wise that I watched within the past year. Maybe it's just using it in a blend with whatever the hell else.

No potato and cornstarch for frying, and I guess cake flour for tempura are your big things.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is it Korean fried Chicken that some recipes have tapioca flour? There's something out there recipe wise that I watched within the past year. Maybe it's just using it in a blend with whatever the hell else.

No potato and cornstarch for frying, and I guess cake flour for tempura are your big things.
kfc is usually potato + cornstarch or potato + cake flour

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So my rice cooker that I bought for $15 at Walmart 20 years ago died. I see that I can get one that looks literally identical to it but with a different name brand for $19.68 on Amazon now....

Screenshot 2024-03-08 9.01.40 PM.png

On the other hand, WIrecutter says the best rice cooker is this one....

Screenshot 2024-03-08 9.03.26 PM.png

Can anyone explain to me, in a way that a basic white guy can understand, how my rice is going to be different out of this thing that costs 12 times as much as the one I've been cooking rice in for my entire adult life? I like to buy nice tools, but I have a hard time getting my head around this one.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So my rice cooker that I bought for $15 at Walmart 20 years ago died. I see that I can get one that looks literally identical to it but with a different name brand for $19.68 on Amazon now....

View attachment 518822

View attachment 518823

Can anyone explain to me, in a way that a basic white guy can understand, how my rice is going to be different out of this thing that costs 12 times as much as the one I've been cooking rice in for my entire adult life? I like to buy nice tools, but I have a hard time getting my head around this one.
Do you know the difference between Japanese rice and American rice? If not, it's probably not going to be worth it to you.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Do you know the difference between Japanese rice and American rice? If not, it's probably not going to be worth it to you.
It's been so long since I've had rice from a whitey cooker, that I can't really give a comparison. I remember that I was always annoyed by the splatter that comes out of the little vent hole in the lid though.

You can probably spend more like $100 and get 90% of the quality, but I have no idea where the sweet spot is for price/performance. I'm sure Lanx Lanx can give a better break down / recommendation.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 518822

View attachment 518823

the most basic way is to just trust the lanx rice cooker rating of
stove cooking 6/10
$20 rice cooker 7/10
$80 smart rice cooker 8/10
zoji 9/10

stovetop rice produces something most rice cookers(i've been told the korean ones can) can't which is the crispy rice on the bottom, the paella term for it is socarrat. i'm 43 and this is the method i have the most experience w/ b/c it was my nightly chore to make dinner rice from 1st grade to hs. so w/ that a basic $20 rice cooker is just a heating element and magnets, once the water is cooked out (steamed), it keeps it warm and thats it, basically a mechanically smart way of stovetop cooking.

once you get past the $20 pricepoint you get into all sorts of electronics, induction heating, pressure and they cooking by measuring moisture/time etc

if all youre doing is cooking rice from a bag that has no asian characters
Great-Value-Long-Grain-Enriched-Rice-5-lbs_1da28e14-0b14-46ef-87df-5821cf6b8370.452d1d949fa41fc6bfeb84e80b7371ac.jpeg

then yea a basic magnet rice cooker is all you need

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Another post implying that theres some mystical quality about "good rice" that only Asians can detect.

But without even a basic description of what makes a difference.

Rice is rice. Give me at least a description of the difference you imagine you're detecting.

I'm reminded of the famous stories about Brits who claimed they could detect whether you put the milk or the tea in the cup first. For those not familiar, these stories are a staple of statistics classes. The punchline is that hell no they couldnt actually tell the difference, it was all in their imaginations.

• 1Like