Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Wife picked up two air chilled chicken halves for 50% of. Whole chicken was about 6 bucks. She bought it from stupid whole foods though, don't get me started. I think she went there to get some kind of vitamins, but then saw that deal, which wasn't bad.

Decided to do Mediterranean chicken with a 24-hour yogurt marinade with lots of dried herbs, garlic, lemon, on all kinds of spices. Figured I'd bust out the rotisserie.

IMG_20240427_181656986_HDR~2.jpg

Going to make Greek potatoes, some grilled squash and zucchini, already have hummus and tzatziki made, but going to grill up some kofta to go along with everything. Haven't done Mediterranean type food in the while, and now that it's warmer, it's perfect grilling fare.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My mother in law broght over some galbi the other night along with her little grill for us to use. While I was giving the grate a quick scrub (my father in law is all about speed and less about thoroughness :D ) I noticed some of the coating had been scraped off in a number of areas. This thing is from the 80's and I don't want myself or anyone else to have more teflon seasoning.

I need a recommendation for an indoor smokeless grill. Removable grates, some lip to help reduce splatter, a lid should be detachable, not too heavy.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My mother in law broght over some galbi the other night along with her little grill for us to use. While I was giving the grate a quick scrub (my father in law is all about speed and less about thoroughness :D ) I noticed some of the coating had been scraped off in a number of areas. This thing is from the 80's and I don't want myself or anyone else to have more teflon seasoning.

I need a recommendation for an indoor smokeless grill. Removable grates, some lip to help reduce splatter, a lid should be detachable, not too heavy.

You're not wanting nonstick going forward, or wanting a new nonstick just not chipped up?

As far as I've seen, they're all terrible. If they get hot enough to work, then I wouldn't feel okay with the nonstick coating at those temps if that's a concern. Most things you'd cook are just as good or better in a pan or air fryer or oven.

I had a flat press Breville years ago that was great for reheating leftovers and "cooking" things like warmed sandwices or quesadillas. Very limited usefulness for actual temp cooking, and any meat was ineffective. I miss it mostly for reheating mashed potatoes into little cakes, but can even do that in a pan if careful.

I honestly don't know how or why people can stand using the foreman grill style devices. Even panini presses you're mostly just getting novelty grill marks vs toasting in a pan or even oven. Mostly useful if you're in a dorm or barracks or otherwise limited for doa e or skill.

If wanting the novelty of doing grilling on the table top there are some options in Amazon, but I'd still argue what's the point and just get a single induction burner and flat griddle style cast iron pan maybe. Induction burner is also great for fondue or frying.

That said, Cuisinart griddlers get good reviews, but are biggish. And if a basic stainless press grill like Taco Bell uses I'd be more inclined to consider it, but the best grilled burrito truck in town just uses a flat grill, so I'd still argue with myself over what the point would be.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You're not wanting nonstick going forward, or wanting a new nonstick just not chipped up?

As far as I've seen, they're all terrible. If they get hot enough to work, then I wouldn't feel okay with the nonstick coating at those temps if that's a concern. Most things you'd cook are just as good or better in a pan or air fryer or oven.

I had a flat press Breville years ago that was great for reheating leftovers and "cooking" things like warmed sandwices or quesadillas. Very limited usefulness for actual temp cooking, and any meat was ineffective. I miss it mostly for reheating mashed potatoes into little cakes, but can even do that in a pan if careful.

I honestly don't know how or why people can stand using the foreman grill style devices. Even panini presses you're mostly just getting novelty grill marks vs toasting in a pan or even oven. Mostly useful if you're in a dorm or barracks or otherwise limited for doa e or skill.

If wanting the novelty of doing grilling on the table top there are some options in Amazon, but I'd still argue what's the point and just get a single induction burner and flat griddle style cast iron pan maybe. Induction burner is also great for fondue or frying.

That said, Cuisinart griddlers get good reviews, but are biggish. And if a basic stainless press grill like Taco Bell uses I'd be more inclined to consider it, but the best grilled burrito truck in town just uses a flat grill, so I'd still argue with myself over what the point would be.
Looking to replace with another non-stick. I think the main point is that a lot of these have a reservoir that you fill with water and it helps reduce smoke/grease/etc.

I could probably just go down to one of the little Korean home/appliance shops nearby and pick up whatever they have, but I’m lazy and it’s annoying to communicate with my terrrrrible Korean and their not great English.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looking to replace with another non-stick. I think the main point is that a lot of these have a reservoir that you fill with water and it helps reduce smoke/grease/etc.

I could probably just go down to one of the little Korean home/appliance shops nearby and pick up whatever they have, but I’m lazy and it’s annoying to communicate with my terrrrrible Korean and their not great English.
like your situation my friends for xmas had to replace their old bbq (they were entertaining), they got this model

these guys sound annoying but, you see it in action, pretty simple, fan on the sides suck smoke down to water pot on bottom, also comes w/ a flat griddle too.
Indoor Grill Electric Grill CUSIMAX Smokeless Grill Portable Korean BBQ Grill with Turbo Smoke Extractor Technology, Non-stick Removable Grill Plate, Tempered Glass Lid, Great for Party(Single Plate)

if youre getting this model, don't forget to click the 30$ coupon

also while those guys are annoying, they use wood and silicone thongs all the time to protect the grill

also on a related note, i was browsing the asian grocer and decided to pick whatever this is called for my yakitori grill,
73cd92e843ac93843863042123faea41.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Ooooh, that kind of grill. But what's the point? Sitting around cooking like you're still around a camp fire? Making it into a social event?

I get the outdoor actual fire grills, but some indoor electric grill. All down side and no benefit. May as well just do meat on a stick over a Sterno can or oil fondue that would at least have actual cooking benefits.

There are cast iron ones, at least.

Indoor grill with a lid? Why?

Watched some of the video reviews. People low temp cooking steaks on that thing on the stovetop. It's like, why. I'll make you 3 steaks in the time one will be done on that "grill." One review says hope it's as good as grilling outside. Lol?

Guess it's just an Asian culture thing. Like white women I know that fret over turning the oven on in the summer as if AC hasn't been invented.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ooooh, that kind of grill. But what's the point? Sitting around cooking like you're still around a camp fire? Making it into a social event?

I get the outdoor actual fire grills, but some indoor electric grill. All down side and no benefit. May as well just do meat on a stick over a Sterno can or oil fondue that would at least have actual cooking benefits.

Watched some of the video reviews. People low temp cooking steaks on that thing on the stovetop. It's like, why. I'll make you 3 steaks in the time one will be done on that "grill." One review says hope it's as good as grilling outside. Lol?

Guess it's just an Asian culture thing. Like white women I know that fret over turning the oven on in the summer as if AC hasn't been invented.
every asian household has a rice cooker and a portable butane burner
0aae3c6b0159ab8a6d6463b16cae703a.png

for hotpot at home
Chinese+Hot+Pot+Guide+How+to+Hot+Pot+at+Home-46.jpg

and you usually but this kbbq along w/ it, since you have it for entertaining anyway
cc7f2ff375a1842c13426d20d13fd682.png

it's "smokeless" too, you pour some water around the ring inside and convection is supposed to draw the smoke down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I'm on board with a bit of fire. But then having a gas burner inside with concerns the grill is smokeless is ironic. Just have even average ventilation. Then again in some cities even opening a window isn't a smokeless experience.

Electric and nonstick makes no sense outside of keeping the social aspects and/or bowing to convenience.

I've mentioned to people I want a small gas grill in my kitchen, just need to tweak the ventilation a bit, and had them confused and ask why I don't just get a nonstick raised grill pan or electric grill. Confuses me as much as I confuse them, I suppose.

My girlfriend mentioned a friend that usually "cooks" from frozen and boxes has an electric grill they use sitting on the stove specifically "for his steaks" and I'm like "you can't be friends with her anymore, her husband can't be trusted." Going to cover up the better tool with a worse tool. Just put the microwave in your oven while you're at it.

I still say if not gas, then a portable induction burner. Perfect for hot pot and there are probably cast iron grill plate devices where at least it's getting hot enough to get decent, quick cook on meats and a little color. Or a flat fajita style cast or pan would be preferable over an electric grill pretending you're doing BBQ.

Most people don't care, but I try not to cook with a condom on as I go through some motions just to feel like I'm doing the real thing.

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
these guys sound faggy but, you see it in action, pretty simple, fan on the sides suck smoke down to water pot on bottom, also comes w/ a flat griddle too.
FTFY...

I'm actually tempted to get one though. That looks pretty slick I want that coupon that's not expensive at all. Do you think it's worth getting the griddle addition?

Oh and that thing you're ordering is just a grill basket deal. I got one that I sometimes use for whole fish. They're really handy. You can use it for vegetables and stuff too. You'll get a lot of mileage out of it.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

I think it's mainly to entertain, where you got to small group of people sitting around drinking and eating all kinds of little cuts of meat and whatnot. Everybody gets to share and it's just kind of a big family or friends deal.

I've only been to a couple of Korean barbecue places, but it's always been a really fun time even if you're doing the cooking. None of my wife would probably enjoy something like that, just being able to sit at the kitchen table and have our Misen place ready to go.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Nonstick electric grills and griddles are for lazy old people with no taste and idiot gen-xers tricked into not having kids. Only reason to get a thing like that is if you physically can't use a stove or oven or outdoor grill anymore, maybe.

Think: 600 pounders who can't stand in front of their stove so have an electric appliance on a card table in their living room. It's not normal.

As a white American the revulsion to an electric grill should be the same as Asians seeing Americans get out the electric wok to make "oriental stir fry" on the lowest setting.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
FTFY...

I'm actually tempted to get one though. That looks pretty slick I want that coupon that's not expensive at all. Do you think it's worth getting the griddle addition?

Oh and that thing you're ordering is just a grill basket deal. I got one that I sometimes use for whole fish. They're really handy. You can use it for vegetables and stuff too. You'll get a lot of mileage out of it.
i'm against teflon coatings, i believe the burner kind come in different nonstick or cast iron options

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I think it's mainly to entertain, where you got to small group of people sitting around drinking and eating all kinds of little cuts of meat and whatnot. Everybody gets to share and it's just kind of a big family or friends deal.

I've only been to a couple of Korean barbecue places, but it's always been a really fun time even if you're doing the cooking. None of my wife would probably enjoy something like that, just being able to sit at the kitchen table and have our Misen place ready to go.

Yeah, I get the social aspects. At that point just buy whatever because it's not a good cooking reason. Why I mention fondue and was only half joking about just firing a skewer over a Sterno can.

Has an Asian sister in law for a while. Hot pot was fun. I'm not against social eating.

Hell, use a culinary torch and char your meat at the table like a man!

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I get the social aspects. At that point just buy whatever because it's not a good cooking reason. Why I mention fondue and was only half joking about just firing a skewer over a Sterno can.

Has an Asian sister in law for a while. Hot pot was fun. I'm not against social eating.

Hell, use a culinary torch and char your meat at the table like a man!
yea it's great for kids, especially when they get their own little basket
293fb0f191e39ab0d83fc56be4b35856.png

they'll just be watching that shit cook for hours and having fun cuz it's "their" food

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
yea it's great for kids, especially when they get their own little basket
293fb0f191e39ab0d83fc56be4b35856.png

they'll just be watching that shit cook for hours and having fun cuz it's "their" food

Grew up poor, but various fondue was a cheap and easy way to keep us kids fed and entertained. Did it often enough I thought it was poor people food. Who knew we was actually quite fancy.

Shit now I need to get a fondue and/or hot pot setup going.

• 1Like