Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've basically stopped buying beef except for Chuck roast. I don't know how these prices are maintaining like this, it's hard to imagine enough people are still willing to buy it but I guess they are

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just assumed it was oxtail, but I'm sure it's just as expensive here which is retarded. I'll have to check to see if there's shank. I may be seen it a few times, but don't remember the price.

I mean both are wonderful for all of that collagen and bone marrow. You could always buy the split bones maybe just to throw in and then pull the bones out, especially if you're making a broth. Even those aren't necessarily cheap anymore.

That's my Bidenomics for ya, and the big TX cattle land fire is not going to make anything cheaper.
yea i don't know about other ppl, but i make chinese oxtail soup, more soupy, probably like this

the meat from the oxtail is better than any steak imo

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea i don't know about other ppl, but i make chinese oxtail soup, more soupy, probably like this

the meat from the oxtail is better than any steak imo

I don't know if it's better than any steak, but cuts like oxtail are much better for low and slow brazing because of all of that fat and connective tissue. I mean if you get a wagyu chuck roast or something, you probably get really good results you just wouldn't have to bone marrow just woke up. It's not like I take ribeye and cut it up for beef stew. It's just all the different muscles and portions of the cow have different flavors or elements that make them delicious.

Khane

I prefer short ribs/oxtail/chuck etc to steak cuts but I can cook a steak with tasty results in minutes vs hours.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I prefer short ribs/oxtail/chuck etc to steak cuts but I can cook a steak with tasty results in minutes vs hours.
Short rib is hard to beat. It's not exactly cheap either though, but it's rich enough where you don't end up eating much. When we did our sushi week for Valentine's, I picked some up and sliced it thin and made fake wagyu rolls that I just torches the beef to cook. Out of one pack of flanken ribs I think I got a roll per rib. Had brushed them with a bit of kewpie mixed with maybe some microplaned Ginger, maybe something else I don't remember before torching. They were delicious.

Don't even remember what else I put in with the rolls, think it was avocado, daikon, green onion, and maybe something else. Should have written down all of the combinations of the different rolls we made.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've basically stopped buying beef except for Chuck roast. I don't know how these prices are maintaining like this, it's hard to imagine enough people are still willing to buy it but I guess they are
This confuses me as well.

Beef is so expensive as to be prohibitive for most cuts these days but everyone still seems to be buying. I know I'm a cheap ass when it comes to grocery spending but there just can't be this many people able to afford $13/lb choice ribeye. What the fuck is propping up these prices?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
This confuses me as well.

Beef is so expensive as to be prohibitive for most cuts these days but everyone still seems to be buying. I know I'm a cheap ass when it comes to grocery spending but there just can't be this many people able to afford $13/lb choice ribeye. What the fuck is propping up these prices?
EBT

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Have you just been cutting your chucks into steaks and what have you? I always pick up one or two when they're on sale where I can get a decent size one for about $7. I've been sometimes treating them like roast beef on the grill I just monitoring the temp doing reverse sear, and as long as you watch everything and then cut across the grain for the different portions of the muscle, it's yielded pretty decent results at a fraction of the price.

I think the next one I pull out of the freezer I'm going to try and experiment for carne asada tacos or burritos.

Khane

No I slow cook them for like 6+ hours with various spices/veg/braising liquids depending on mood.

LiquidDeath

Have you just been cutting your chucks into steaks and what have you? I always pick up one or two when they're on sale where I can get a decent size one for about $7. I've been sometimes treating them like roast beef on the grill I just monitoring the temp doing reverse sear, and as long as you watch everything and then cut across the grain for the different portions of the muscle, it's yielded pretty decent results at a fraction of the price.

I think the next one I pull out of the freezer I'm going to try and experiment for carne asada tacos or burritos.

My family has been loving Top Round, believe it or not. I can get a 3-4 lb piece for $5.99/lb at Costco and then slice it thin against the grain to make either beef and broccoli or fajitas. As long as you velvet it or marinade it for a few hours with some oil and acid it ends up with a very nice texture, not at all chewy. Best part about Top Round, barely any trimming to do as it is pretty damn lean.

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
My family has been loving Top Round, believe it or not. I can get a 3-4 lb piece for $5.99/lb at Costco and then slice it thin against the grain to make either beef and broccoli or fajitas. As long as you velvet it or marinade it for a few hours with some oil and acid it ends up with a very nice texture, not at all chewy. Best part about Top Round, barely any trimming to do as it is pretty damn lean.
Top rounds great, or London broil, or I don't remember if they're the same damn thing, I buy it all the time. Like you all slice it and use it for different things, or cut it into steaks and just treat it like a sirloin, which I guess it's sort of is.

One of the best things that I do is cut it into one by one strips, and marinated in a bunch of Korean stuff, something I learned from one of my uncles, and then grill it and serve it with rice and vegetables and what have you. That's one of the things the wife likes more than anything, just for that clean beefy flavor.

Anytime I see it on sale I'll typically pick it up and vacuum pack. Makes good stroganoff too.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Top rounds great, or London broil, or I don't remember if they're the same damn thing, I buy it all the time. Like you all slice it and use it for different things, or cut it into steaks and just treat it like a sirloin, which I guess it's sort of is.

One of the best things that I do is cut it into one by one strips, and marinated in a bunch of Korean stuff, something I learned from one of my uncles, and then grill it and serve it with rice and vegetables and what have you. That's one of the things the wife likes more than anything, just for that clean beefy flavor.

Anytime I see it on sale I'll typically pick it up and vacuum pack. Makes good stroganoff too.
if youre gonna marinade round don't forget to put some baking soda (soda not powder) for cheap tenderizing, you need all the help you can get, round is the cut i always skip, it's fucking ass

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
if youre gonna marinade round don't forget to put some baking soda (soda not powder) for cheap tenderizing, you need all the help you can get, round is the cut i always skip, it's fucking ass
I'm starting to use pseudo velveting techniques with certain cuts of meat, by getting up sprinkle of baking soda.

Top round isn't bad you just really have to make certain it's thick enough when you go to grill it after marinating. Is that the best cat absolutely not, but can it still turn out tasty especially when you go to slice it on a bias against the grain, absolutely.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I velveted a ribeye the other day (because I"m fancy) except this time I accidentally spilled waay too much in. It came out crazy bitter, 3/10 do not recommend. Also rip $

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I velveted a ribeye the other day (because I"m fancy) except this time I accidentally spilled waay too much in. It came out crazy bitter, 3/10 do not recommend. Also rip $
Was actually thinking about trying to use that with a skirt steak, even though I can cook them nice and tender, I'm just more curious if using that as a tenderizing method I can get even better results.

Did end up buying one of those meat tenderizers that has all the little prongs of Amazon. I'd seen some video of a guy taking him pretty trash cut of me and turning into what seemed to look like a delicious steak, and figured what the hell I'll give it a shot and maybe I can take other things and repurpose them when I'm in the mood for steak night.

I like beat prices are going to come down anytime soon, I'm just trying to find ways to where I can still enjoy it with out it being stupid expensive.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was actually thinking about trying to use that with a skirt steak, even though I can cook them nice and tender, I'm just more curious if using that as a tenderizing method I can get even better results.

Did end up buying one of those meat tenderizers that has all the little prongs of Amazon. I'd seen some video of a guy taking him pretty trash cut of me and turning into what seemed to look like a delicious steak, and figured what the hell I'll give it a shot and maybe I can take other things and repurpose them when I'm in the mood for steak night.

I like beat prices are going to come down anytime soon, I'm just trying to find ways to where I can still enjoy it with out it being stupid expensive.
i hope you didn't get the retracting kind

that sucks, after a few times you'll get meat stuck up in there and it'll be nasty

the old ways are the best
31371d0d9e820ea844d0e918abf3b7b6.png

Meat Tenderizer with 21 Stainless Steel Piercing Spikes Wood Handle Stainless Steel Needle for Tenderizing Chicken Beef Steak Veal Pork

tho i use the mallet more

and also i need to use the plastic cutting board instead of my hunk of wood cuz the mallet causes dimples heh

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i hope you didn't get the retracting kind

that sucks, after a few times you'll get meat stuck up in there and it'll be nasty

the old ways are the best
31371d0d9e820ea844d0e918abf3b7b6.png

Meat Tenderizer with 21 Stainless Steel Piercing Spikes Wood Handle Stainless Steel Needle for Tenderizing Chicken Beef Steak Veal Pork

tho i use the mallet more

and also i need to use the plastic cutting board instead of my hunk of wood cuz the mallet causes dimples heh
I bought one of a big retractable ones. I just made certain a really clean it well afterwards. Like I used it on a couple of New York strips that were not a great quality that they were cheap, and it seemed to make a difference.

I have to order one of those poker style one's. For the money why the hell not. I've got to meet now at somewhere but I think it's boxed up in the garage with some of my other cooking implements from when we moved and we're just trying to get stuff sorted out.

I think they only wood cutting board I have we use for charcuterie presentations and other foods and I'll never really cut on it, the other ones I have are all giant plastic ones the size of a heater shield.

I was also thinking that the benefit of using such a device to perforate the meat some would help if you were trying to marinate or velvet to where everything can kind of get inside a little bit more, mainly with marinades.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord