Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Can't believe there isn't already one yet.

So I have some country style pork ribs, really nice pork. Anyone got any ideas about what to do with them to make them amazing?

Also, someone linked me this:http://www.foodnetworkstore.com/clas...6&rid=52630761

Pretty good pan for super cheap.

EDIT: Recipe index -

General Recipes

Slow cooker chicken
Found Recipe: KFC-Inspired Chicken : NPR

Carnitas with no lard
The Food Lab: Make Crisp, Juicy CarnitasWithout a Bucket of Lard | Serious Eats

Chipotle Chicken Chili
Chipotle Chicken Chili - The Pioneer Woman

Best Steak Marinade in Existence | Plain Chicken

Baked Ham and Cheese Party Sandwiches Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Sous Vide

Cook times and temps reference:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/chefsteps/s...eReference.pdf

Sous Vide Prereqs(courtesy of lanx):
1. foodsaver/vacuum sealer if you so choose, you can do ziplock displacement.Ask Jason: How to Use Ziploc Bags for Sous Vide - Modernist Cooking Made Easy
2. prepare all your aeromatics, butter? this article convinced me not toSous-Vide 101: Prime Steak Primer | Serious Eats
3. torch and/or cast ironflat (more surface area)
a.Amazon.com: Iwatani Cooking Torch, 9, 725 BTU/h: Cooking Torches: Kitchen Dining
i have that torch, it uses canister butane and is easy and cheap to use. goto any asian grocer and ask for butane and they'll have it for a buck a piece, even if you sear for a year, you'll maybe use up 1 canister if you live in bum fuck idaho where you can't even find an asian grocer then you can get em for 2bucks a piece or so
Amazon.com : Gas One Gasone Butane - Set of 8 - Fuel Canisters - 8 Cans : Camping Stoves : Sports Outdoors
b. of course any man needs at least 2 cast iron skillets around, either get a lodge one or maybe grandma has a super seasoned godly pan that is 40years old
Amazon.com: Lodge LCS3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Chef Dining

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They recommend it as a paella pan which is lol. I just figured if someone was in need of a relatively good pan for cheap I'd throw it up.

And bro, my pork is IMMACULATE.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love cooking. Do you have a smoker or a grill that you can smoke in? You want to smoke ribs about about 200-250 degrees for 3-4 hours until they reach an internal temp of about 170 degrees.

The night before take the silver skin off the bottom of them, season them with salt and pepper and then coat the top of them with yellow mustard. Put a brown sugar based dry rub on top and pack it into the mustard and you will get a nice crust.

If you can't smoke them just put them in the crock pot.

EDIT: Oh and Alton Brown has a pretty good method for doing ribs in the oven. I wouldn't use his dry rub recipe though, I found it way too salty.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

dolaan_sl

shitlord
My rib recipe:

I get heavy duty foil and place the rib in the middle.
Put a dry rub of your choice.
Add 1/2 cup of apple cider
Carefully close the foil and place in the oven for 4 hours at 250. Though I think it would work at a lower temperature.
When done I remove them from foil and cut into serving sizes ~4 ribs (basically just so it is easier to maneuver)
Glaze the ribs and put them on the grill to carmelize the glaze to the rib
Enjoy

My 2 glazes (cannot remember where I got these recipes but I have changed them around a bit anyway)

Apple glaze
3 cups apple cider
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup apple sauce
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup thinly sliced ginger
1/2 stick cinnamon
1tbs vanilla extract (bean if you have it but they are expensive)
6 cardamom pods
2 teaspoons allspice berries
3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoons salt
Place all of the ingredients for the glaze in a pot and cook over medium-high heat. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, allow the mixture to reduce about 30 to 35 maybe more you want it very thick. Remove the glaze from the stove and strain

Hoisin glaze

1 cup hoisin sauce,
6 tablespoons Asian chili sauce
1 tbs 5 spice powder

No other prep is needed it will be plenty thick

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah my smoker project got put on hold while I get my garden up and running plus a thousand other home projects. I do hope to have my smoker operational by summer. I think I'll try them in the oven, maybe I'll try Alton's dry rub, I haven't been able to get a good dry rub myself. It just never ends up quite right.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Can't believe there isn't already one yet.

So I have some country style pork ribs, really nice pork. Anyone got any ideas about what to do with them to make them amazing?

Also, someone linked me this:http://www.foodnetworkstore.com/clas...6&rid=52630761

Pretty good pan for super cheap.
I thought nonstick pans weren't good for long usage in the oven.

Sorry, no rib suggestions here, I hate ribs. Too much mystery meat in that area.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I made my first beercan chicken last night. Super easy, just rubbed down the chicken with some olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme, shoved a 1/2 full beer up its rear and baked it for an hour at 400. Super juicy and delicious. You can get an inexpensive rack to make the chicken more stable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
dwaeji galbikalbi - korean style porkDon't think I've had it this way exactly, but there are a ton of Korean dishes that use pork, and they generally kick ass.
This wins. 've never tried cooking anything korean and I love korean food, so I think Saturday I'm making the galbi marinade ones with some kind of slaw on the side.

Deathwing: nonstick pans can go in the oven as long as the manufacturer says they can. The only real caveat is that you have to make sure it has a metal lid and make sure to stay below the max temp. I think that according Mr. Brown the nonstick coating doesn't start releasing the poisonous gasses until 500+ degrees.

Isengard_sl

shitlord
I pay ~15? for charcoal grilled iberian pork, ribs, loin, the works at a restaurant 20min drive from my house. Can't beat that for superior convenience. Pig slaughters are quite nice too.

Isengard_sl

shitlord
Also, for general cooking i recommend watching Alton Brown, Anthony Bourdain, the Adri? brothers and Heston Blumenthal. Chef John (foodwhises) is quite nice too.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This wins. 've never tried cooking anything korean and I love korean food, so I think Saturday I'm making the galbi marinade ones with some kind of slaw on the side.
Could do a kimchi style slaw to go with it. Seems like there's quite a few recipes out there.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Alton Brown is the man. I am an awesome cook and he taught me most of what I know. It's a god damn tragedy that good eats isn't on anymore.

lindz

#DDs
Request that this be renamed The Meat Thread.

I came in here expecting to find some fun recipes and all I find is meat you silly men!

Lusiphur

Peasant
Request that this be renamed The Meat Thread.

I came in here expecting to find some fun recipes and all I find is meat you silly men!
Start a vegetarian cooking thread then. If this were another forum I would throw in a salty anecdote about women seeking attention but it would probably break the rules or sumthin ...