Gravy's Cooking Thread

Tea_sl

shitlord
anyone ever make chicken tacos? I am thinking about just doing something simple like this:Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos with Cilantro and Lime | What Megans Making
but am open to suggestions.
All the time.

Dice some chicken and put in a pan with some oil on med-high heat. Add generous amounts of salt, pepper, cumin, paprika. A hearty dose of chipolte powder, and a little cinnamon. When you've got a minute left add in some minced garlic.

Meanwhile finely chop some cilantro and onion. You want a lot of cilantro. I use half a bunch when making them for my wife and I. Mix that together with the juice of one lime, add a dash of salt and pepper.

Make some tacos. I like a sprinkling of a nice queso and a few shakes of hot sauce. It's a little traditional a little tex-mex all amazing.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I get the reasoning of the article, and thanks for linking it.

So to get over your aversion to eating cilantro, eat more cilantro. Seems counter intuitive at the onset, but I understand why.

Don't like the taste of poop? Eat more poop! You'll learn to love it. Fascinating how the human body adapts to things.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I've eaten a fair number of things that I used to hate into submission. Fuck being picky.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
When does a taco stop being a taco? I just made the oddest tacos, but they were stupid delicious.

sirloin steak - cooked rare in an iron griddle, then marinated in miso paste, olive oil, black pepper, and a bit of sugar. Marinated after cooking for about 2 hours, and then sliced thin.

served on a warm flour tortilla with an underlay of a very yum wasabi mayonnaise

topped with a quick pickled finely shredded cabbage in rice vinegar, sesame oil, sliced chili pepper (with seeds), and lemon juice

top sprinkle of spring onions and chopped cilantro.

Sounds odd, but it was pretty a pretty delicious flavour combination.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I get the reasoning of the article, and thanks for linking it.

So to get over your aversion to eating cilantro, eat more cilantro. Seems counter intuitive at the onset, but I understand why.

Don't like the taste of poop? Eat more poop! You'll learn to love it. Fascinating how the human body adapts to things.
There was a very similar article about a child psychologist discussing how to get kids to eat things and basically he determined that you actually have to try something new at least 10 times to determine if you really like it or not. Every time you taste something new, you're developing new responses and they are all very malleable.

@Lurking: Sounds like an Asian taco. Some people call them tako's, as in most cases they are made with Korean style meats. Yours sounds more Japanese. Still a taco. That is the nice thing about fusion cuisine. You can make a classic dish from one culture with the standard ingredients from another culture and it seems all fresh and original.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All the time.

Dice some chicken and put in a pan with some oil on med-high heat. Add generous amounts of salt, pepper, cumin, paprika. A hearty dose of chipolte powder, and a little cinnamon. When you've got a minute left add in some minced garlic.

Meanwhile finely chop some cilantro and onion. You want a lot of cilantro. I use half a bunch when making them for my wife and I. Mix that together with the juice of one lime, add a dash of salt and pepper.

Make some tacos. I like a sprinkling of a nice queso and a few shakes of hot sauce. It's a little traditional a little tex-mex all amazing.
I'm going to have to make a ton of them so I am looking into something a little less involved. I will try something like this when it's just my wife and kid and I.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
That slow cooker chicken tacos recipe will be pretty good. I make stuff like that a lot--it will be good, but nothing special.

If you have to make a lot, maybe the carnitas in the first post would be a good idea. That makes a ton and is only slightly more involved than slow cooker chicken tacos.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was going to make carnitas but I wanted to make it at least once before I tried it for a big group because I am afraid I'll fuck it up... and I don't have time in the next week to do it so I am stuck with the chicken.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The carnitas is pretty hard to fuck up, imo you should go for it. Even talking about it makes me want to make it this weekend but I have gained back like 5 lbs and need to work on that shit so no to mouth watering carnitas goodness.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Going to be hosting a house-warming cookout at my house in a few weeks.

Doing the standard hot dogs, hamburgers, marinated chicken, steak tips, linguica - probably some corn, although I've never grilled corn.

What are some other things we can look into that might be a bit different? No seafood, no one really likes it. Preferably something I can make on the grill that won't take forever. I think I've hit every major meat category, but just looking for ideas.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I had a taco party one time for cinco de mayo. just another excuse to drink and eat. Anyway I made, shredded chicken and ground beef. Then set up a taco building station and people just made their own. With all the toppings, wraps, hard shells, etc on the side. People like building their own tacos.

I make my shredded tacos different... I braise the chicken breast in chicken stock, taco seasoning for like 1.5-2 hours. Then I shred it, and saute all that with diced peppers, onions, garlic, more taco seasoning or chili powder, salt, pepper, fresh cilantro at the end. If its too dry I add a bit of the stock it braised in. It adds an extra layer of flavor.

For the ground beef tacos, I braise that too for a long time. Then I come in with a potato masher and mash that shit up. It comes out perfect and has the texture of taco bell meat.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep, we are doing a taco bar for my daughters first birthday party. It's next saturday and my only problem is that Friday is my last day of work AND we have a wedding to go to, hence looking for crock pot stuff that my wife can just do on Friday and we can warm back up Saturday... so Carnitas is a good idea but I don't know if I'll be able to do it and she will probably be freaking out too much to want to figure it out on her own, plus she'll probably claim she has no time, etc. etc.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
On the kabob episode of Good Eats Alton made a long BBQ pit by putting down two long rows of bricks just the right distance apart for a kabob skewer and then putting charcoal between them. Then he had various kinds of meats, veggies, and sauces for people to build their own kabobs and cook them themselves. I always thought that was a cool idea for a party. Unfortunately it looks like the Good Eats full episodes have been pulled off of Youtube and now you have to pay $2 to watch it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Made a big bowl of chicken salad using Costco roasted rotisserie chicken. Goddamn is that good stuff. So much better than using canned chicken it's not even funny.

Just went with this recipe(basically had to double it based on the amount of chicken I got off of the 1 Costco chicken) but also added grapes, cut in half. Damn tasty.

Chicken Salad Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network

Gravy

Bronze Squire
On the kabob episode of Good Eats Alton made a long BBQ pit by putting down two long rows of bricks just the right distance apart for a kabob skewer and then putting charcoal between them.
Now was this on top of a grill, did he make some kind of platform? I love this idea. Love kabobs.

Edit: Also, you all having parties, there was a recipe in the Fast Food Thread, I think Joeboo put on there about hot rolls stuffed with ham and cheese and whatnot, then covered in buttery something? That thing looked great.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Now was this on top of a grill, did he make some kind of platform? I love this idea. Love kabobs..
It was right on the ground. He just lined up two rows of like 10 or 15 bricks probably 10 inches apart, poured some sand between them, and then put the hot charcoal on the sand so it's a long narrow pit that is just wide enough for the skewers to lay across. I wish I could find a picture of it but I can't.