Greece - A New Hope

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, no, you Yankee faggot. The South is still regionally and culturally distinct and we still despise you. I would rather be a fucking Mexican than lumped into the same boat as you.
Hey whats it like to live off the teat of the rest of the country?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought he was trying to say the EU changed the accounting rules because the greeks gamed the old system like a bunch of welfare brood mares.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I thought he was trying to say the EU changed the accounting rules because the greeks gamed the old system like a bunch of welfare brood mares.
Nah. Someone said Greece fudged books to get into EU. Someone else said that this is incorrect because at the time of joining, Greece met the requirements but when the requirements were changed later on by EU, Greece no longer met such requirements. But they were already in EU so the new reqs mean dick. Then dumb fuck gets on here and says that EU changing requirements is the same as Greece fudging the books. Shit is dumb.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yes, I followed all of that up to the last sentence. What I was saying is that I *thought* his point was that the EU had to change the rules because Greece gamed the existing rules like they were the patriots. Hey wait, is Belichick a greek name?

Sorry, don't mean to make threads collide like that. Anyway, I don't know one way or the other, just saying that was how I read it as I was reading all the posts. I am assuming that since this is a thread about Greek politics, the most knowledgeable people are not native english speakers and giving him some leeway based on that.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The South hasn't paid shit compared to what they got back. Now be our good little bitch and shut yer yap.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
They are an integral part of your heritage according to your kin.

With out the poor who will your leaders steal from??

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
The Greeks absolutely were fudging the books and gaming the system, they just didn't start doing it until after they were in the EU already. Secret borrowing when you have your own currency doesn't really work, you just create inflation. It's much more effective when you're on the Euro and you're small enough that your borrowing can't create noticeable inflation anymore.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
They are an integral part of your heritage according to your kin.

With out the poor who will your leaders steal from??
They were an integral part of the South when they worked. Now they just collect welfare, burn down corner stores when one of them gets shot by a white guy, and vote for liberals. How can you steal from a people that have and are nothing?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
They were an integral part of the South when they worked. Now they just collect welfare, burn down corner stores when one of them gets shot by a white guy, and vote for liberals.How can you steal from a people that have and are nothing?
You trick them into doing stuff.

I am beginning to think gadrel isn't actually greek, and I withdraw the grammar leeway I previously afforded him.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The problem with how they created the eu is they're trying to act like the united states of europe but every state still has a national identity, it took the civil war to change americans perceptions of what they belonged to. If it was america today and a state went bankrupt people would be more inclined to leave and look for work in another state.
^^^^^^^

But some leaders today, still think it is the right path.
And then Syriza came, later will be FN in France, etc...

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
This is not actually true. Greece met the criteria when they were admitted. A few years after they were admitted the EU changed their accounting methods and under those methods Greece would not have qualified in 1999, but under the methods used in 1999, they did qualify. .
The problem wasn't the accounting method, the problem was the figures Greece was reporting were a fabrication, and everyone knew it. It doesn't really matter how you add the numbers up if the numbers themselves are false. Here's an explanation of how they did it:

In the 1990s Miranda Xafa was working for an investment house in London, watching from a distance, as her native Greece got ready for membership of the euro.She knew - and advised her clients - that the country's economy was not ready, that the statistics its government was publishing did not reflect reality.

...The new fiscal treaty that 25 of the 27 EU member states agreed to this week is meant to ensure that in future no country has a budget deficit of greater than 3% of GDP. That same 3% rule was first enshrined in 1992, in the Maastricht Treaty, which led to the creation of the euro in the first place. But some countries did not respect it. In the case of Greece, not even from the beginning.Greece cooked the books to join the euro in the first place.

So how did this 'magic' work?

"Take the Greek state railway. It was losing a billion euros a year.. The Greek railway had more employees than passengers. A former minister, Stefanos Manos, had said publicly at the time that it would be cheaper to send everyone by taxi."

The authorities used a neat conjuring trick to make the problem vanish.

"The [railway] company would issue shares that the government would buy. So it was counted not as expenditure, but as a financial transaction." And it did not appear on the budget balance sheet.

So Greece fulfilled the Maastricht criteria and was admitted to the eurozone on January 1, 2001.
BBC News - How magic made Greek debt disappear before it joined the euro

Like I said, at the time it wasn't a secret what the Greek government was up to, but the Euro countries simply decided to ignore the issue because of politics, not economics. What we see now are the terrible consequences of that for the Greek people.

iannis

Musty Nester
Hey whats it like to live off the teat of the rest of the country?
Dunno. What is it like?

You think those cities feed themselves? You've got more apartment buildings and roads than you've got farmland.

To be completely fair, I do like cranberries. I will miss those when the revolution comes.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
BBC News - How magic made Greek debt disappear before it joined the euro

Like I said, at the time it wasn't a secret what the Greek government was up to, but the Euro countries simply decided to ignore the issue because of politics, not economics. What we see now are the terrible consequences of that for the Greek people.
They didn't just ignore it they were complicit in it. They knew exactly what was going on but it suited Germanys financial markets to have a place to put their money.

BBC News - Did Germany sow the seeds of the eurozone debt crisis?

Further, in the very article you linked it underlines that Germany and France were equally as guilty of breaking the rules, linking to :

Whos Responsible For the Euromess? | Mother Jones

What needs to be understood here is that Greece swallowed the bitterest of pills that was put on it to to meet their obligation to the debt but the IMF and the EU got it horribly wrong in the policies it inflicted on Greece and what it would do to its economy. Nobel Prize winning Economist Krugman is worth a read on this :

To understand the political earthquake in Greece, it helps to look at Greece's May 2010 "standby arrangement" with the International Monetary Fund, under which the so-called troika - the I.M.F., the European Central Bank and the European Commission - extended loans to the country in return for a combination of austerity and reform. It's a remarkable document, in the worst way. The troika, while pretending to be hardheaded and realistic, was peddling an economic fantasy. And the Greek people have been paying the price for those elite delusions.

You see, the economic projections that accompanied the standby arrangement assumed that Greece could impose harsh austerity with little effect on growth and employment. Greece was already in recession when the deal was reached, but the projections assumed that this downturn would end soon - that there would be only a small contraction in 2011, and that by 2012 Greece would be recovering. Unemployment, the projections conceded, would rise substantially, from 9.4 percent in 2009 to almost 15 percent in 2012, but would then begin coming down fairly quickly.

What actually transpired was an economic and human nightmare. Far from ending in 2011, the Greek recession gathered momentum. Greece didn't hit the bottom until 2014, and by that point it had experienced a full-fledged depression, with overall unemployment rising to 28 percent and youth unemployment rising to almost 60 percent.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, but if the Greeks went Nazi they'd just decide to holocaust the Turks, so the west wouldn't care.
And muslims and gays.... (not that they would be missed... zing)

But yes, Greek doubled down on trickle down economics... and it failed them hardcore.

Yes, I'm biased... but I'm a government worker and 30% of my paycheck goes to taxes, 60% gets spent. 10% gets saved.

Cut my salary by 20%, and you've reduced the amount of money I give to the government in taxes, but more importantly the 60% that I normally spend is now reduced... so companies that I normally give money to, forecast lower profits, so they cut back (fire people) and sit on their cash reserves. Those fired people in turn, decide to stop spending money, because they are worried about survival.

The entire engine of the economy slows to a grind... lots of people (corporations) have money, but no one is working, nothing is being produced, and shit goes downhill fast all because of GOVERNMENT BAD meme that infected business schools for the past 20 years, and the even worse meme (fire people when sales are down) that EVERYONE in business began following.

And Krugman's analogy is perfect:
Austerity is the same thing as "the beatings will continue until morale improves"

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Dunno. What is it like?

You think those cities feed themselves? You've got more apartment buildings and roads than you've got farmland.

To be completely fair, I do like cranberries. I will miss those when the revolution comes.
You must be confusing the south for California and the Midwest. Nobody likes Okra up here.

http://wherefoodcomesfrom.com/Articl...6#.VMo192jF-Sq

It is shameful.. for all your Farmland.. South Carolina, the heart of the confederacy, for example has 1.43% of the population, yet only produces .69% of the food, and thats supposed to be its strength? Virginia produces .88% yet is 2.5% of the population, Louisiana is 1.57% of population yet produces .92% of the food. Tennessee has 2% of pop, yet produces only 1% of the nations food. Alabama is 1.5 pop with 1.3% of food. Kentucky is 1.4% of pop with 1.3% of food. Florida is 5% of the population yet produces only 2% of the food. Texas is 7% of the population, yet producing 6% of the food.

Cmon now.. lets not act like the South is some sort of bread basket. It seems to be the home to a great deal of poorly used land.

At least you are the leaders in Meth addicts.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
They didn't just ignore it they were complicit in it. They knew exactly what was going on but it suited Germanys financial markets to have a place to put their money.

BBC News - Did Germany sow the seeds of the eurozone debt crisis?

Further, in the very article you linked it underlines that Germany and France were equally as guilty of breaking the rules, linking to :

Whos Responsible For the Euromess? | Mother Jones

What needs to be understood here is that Greece swallowed the bitterest of pills that was put on it to to meet their obligation to the debt but the IMF and the EU got it horribly wrong in the policies it inflicted on Greece and what it would do to its economy. Nobel Prize winning Economist Krugman is worth a read on this :

All good points.

I listened in on a debate about how the EU really needed a fiscal transfer mechanism in order for the Euro to work properly. something that was mooted for a long time (http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2013/wp13198.pdf). What was eventually put in place was the European Stability Mechanism, which gives out funds but only by imposing such drastic conditions on the recipient that they end up virtually locked in a downward economic spiral, never mind the domestic political consequences of surrendering your country's economic policy to an unelected foreign commission.