Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Flight said:
Didn"t RA play a big part in developing Forgotten Realms, writing one of the first books and creating Drizzt, all at the insistance, btw, of a certain ..... Mary Kirchoff ?
Flight I knew I loved you for a reason.

Now take that name, and guess who is Curt Schilling"s "Coach" here on the forums. Considering she is the Chief of Marketing (For those that do not know) of his company.

Err, wouldn"t EJ have much higher target market traffic?
No. Because EJ is WoW specific. FoH gets more general MMORPG genre traffic than EJ. Plus, Kaubel or anyone else modding won"t allow grassroots promotions on our site. I cannot believe it is allowed here to tell you the truth. But in hindsight, it"s actually a good thing since most morons bring their shovel with them and bury themselves (And their product) here. Which in turn, is great for Blizz. Edit: (Oh hey Tred buddy) Lost Ranger pretty much beat me to the reply.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Vodo4321 said:
He"d be a retard not to start laying some of the groundwork. Yes, if it"s a shitty product it could blow up in his face. But we"re not all as cynical as you yet.
That isn"t my problem. My problem is someone posing as a gamer geek to make money off it because he saw the revenue from Sony. Then coming here in a vein attempt to pass himself off as such when he doesn"t give a shit about games or anyone else for that matter. It"s a fucking marketing ploy.

Period.

That"swhat pisses me off.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Genjiro said:
I"d say if you want the daddy of Forgotten Realms, you would have to look no further than Ed Greenwood. The amount of content and maps he did for FR could fill up an entire section of the library of Congress.
Personally, my fan favorite would not even be in that realm. It would be David Eddings.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Utnayan said:
I cannot believe it is allowed here to tell you the truth.
Ever thought to check if the people who own and run this site want that kinda thing here or not? Once again this isn"t your site and if Requiem wants people here generating hype that is his business and damn sure not yours. Seeing as I have never seen Requiem telling anyone to cut the shit I would have to say he doesn"t care. I can even see why he would WANT them here.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Utnayan said:
Personally, my fan favorite would not even be in that realm. It would be David Eddings.
Greenwood certainly wasn"t my favorite, he just churned out content for FR like a room full of indentured Koreans. Eddings is an amazing author though, the Diamond Throne series is one of my favorite fantasy sets I"ve read to date.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lost Ranger said:
Ever thought to check if the people who own and run this site want that kinda thing here or not? Once again this isn"t your site and if Requiem wants people here generating hype that is his business and damn sure not yours. Seeing as I have never seen Requiem telling anyone to cut the shit I would have to say he doesn"t care. I can even see why he would WANT them here.
Oh I know. I was just commenting on the fact that this entire forum was based on someone who is now one of the best designers in the genre. And that is direct competition. Yet, impressively I might add, other games and marketing campaigns are allowed to flourish which ironically enough, have all bit the dust. I would definitely let it keep happening. If anything, it keeps helping out Blizzard when those companies suck on the tit of fail.

findar_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
That isn"t my problem. My problem is someone posing as a gamer geek to make money off it because he saw the revenue from Sony. Then coming here in a vien attempt to pass himself off as such when he doesn"t give a shit about games or anyone else for that matter. It"s a fucking marketing ploy.

Period.

Eh? Didn"t Curt first start posting here about eq2? Then switched to wow and said how much fun he was having and how much he loved it? The guy is retired from baseball, is a gamer, and works in the game industry as an EP; it"s no shocker he has a lot more time now to sit around on messageboards. We started a thread about his baby and he contributes his thoughts on development / the industry as well.

Besides, most of the people that post on these forums are so jaded to the industry now we test things before we buy it, whether open beta or trial keys. Personally I"m going to wait on an open beta before I even consider playing this game as I"m sure most people here will. You are starting a little bit early on "this is the worst game ever", wait for beta to start rolling around so it at least seems credible.

Oh, and the reason they don"t care about developers shilling(ironic term)/posting here is because it increases net traffic and opens discussion up. Look at Gallenite/Kendrick/etc and the effect of their presence in threads. Of course if the developer pisses in the pool they get run out of town by the posters(hi Brad) but Req seems more than open to letting this open forum trend continue.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Genjiro said:
Eddings is an amazing author though, the Diamond Throne series is one of my favorite fantasy sets I"ve read to date.
What"s even more amazing, was that he never sold out. (Which sucks in a way because I wanted to read more about Sparhawk) He never faltered on his committment to only 6 books even though money was tossed at him left and right, to bastardize that series like RA Salavatore did with Drizzt and company.

He died June 2nd. But those 6 books were the best I ever read.

But above all that, what I am more impressed with, is he wasn"t a sell out.

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
That isn"t my problem. My problem is someone posing as a gamer geek to make money off it because he saw the revenue from Sony. Then coming here in a vein attempt to pass himself off as such when he doesn"t give a shit about games or anyone else for that matter. It"s a fucking marketing ploy.

I"m having a hard time discerning if this is tongue in cheek or not.

Regardless...

One of our largest complaints is the lack of proactive communications by so many companies, due to the trolltastic behavior displayed when they try and have meaningful conversations. Your thread here makes me think you are stirring the pot for the sake of fun, or just to be a dick. Have at it, as this is FOH.

I"m not here to defend anyone, or a game that"s vaporware, but Curt is a longtime MMO gamer who actually discusses things.

The fact he"s playing Plants vs Zombies, which is a fantastic game btw, is the same reason so many of us are playing that, Peggle, Civ IV, Xcom, etc. We"re bored of the current crop of MMOs. Also because many of us are too old to play the weird Japanese stuff, because it"s creepy.

Anyways, back on tangent. Edding"s would be tough to use, as he passed away recently. I detest Terry Goodkind"s writings. The guy most akin to Salvatore would be Terry Brooks, as he does fantastic imagery and settings, but his stories are also a bit too linear and predictable.

Lately I"ve been reading Martin Millar"s Thraxas series, which are a great read. He does better stories than Salvatore, but has nowhere near the imagery or setting creation talent RA has.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Gecko said:
I"m having a hard time discerning if this is tongue in cheek or not.

Pretty sure he is on a wind up.

Utnayan said:
I have no hope for your IP. Because your IP is a pile of bullshit stamped with a concept from RA Salvatore (Even though he had jack shit all to do with the game - you bought his name) of which we will see glowing text of "his blades whirled as they whirled with quickness and tenacity of the whirl of blades that whirled" to fill in the blanks of another laughable entry into the world of MMORPG"s.
It"s common knowledge RA lives within a half hours drive of the 38S studios and goes in a number of times a week to guide and oversee their writing and lore.

Bizanich_foh

shitlord
I haven"t really read a better seriesset in Forgotten Realmsthen the Moonshae Trilogy. Out of date and print by now, I"m sure, but it was definitely a bit more gritty then the later stuff.

Too bad Ed Greenwood"s Spellfire didn"t take off in FR....a bit fan fictiony in terms of powers, but it was still a cool one too.

And despite the furor over Wulfgar and Chewbacca, I still think Salvatore did a great job with the Dark Elf Trilogy. Zaknafein was the man.

P.S. He"s a gamer, Ut, there were articles back in the day even of all the EQ love. He and Todd Pratt stick out as two baseball players who publically acknowledged playing MMO"s.

Granted, I"ve only knowingly killed Todd Pratt, unsure of Ngruk....

Sean_sl

shitlord
Ut"s power to get peoples" panties in a twist is really something not rivaled since Furor"s oldest flamewar days. Truths hurt people so much.

I love you man, don"t ever stop.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Please, for the love of all things just and right, do not defend me or anyone at 38 in here. I appreciate it, but I don"t and we don"t need it. If it even warrants a response, we"ll make one.

As far as anyone "managing" me? Anyone that followed my playing career knows that never has and never will happen.

TCG"s?

My gaming history.

Spent STUPID amounts of money on Magic TG ONLINE!! Like an idiot. Loved it, but never pushed to be real good.

Played Pokeman, Yu-Gi-Oh and a few others with Gehrig as he was growing up.

First MMO stuff I did was WoW, then I did the SOE Legends stuff but I was done playing EQ2 when I played it.

The WoW stuff we had fun with, the SOE stuff I had fun with on my own, but I never had the cross over experience in game and out.

Physical TCG feels to me like a pure and simple $$ play. The only real tie in to WOW are the mounts and in game items that were there last I saw, but there is ZERO crossover on the two and I wonder what people think about that.

How do you get something in the way of fun and cool in game, while not crushing the immersion piece, adding a crap ton of tun as well?

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Bizanich said:
I haven"t really read a better seriesset in Forgotten Realmsthen the Moonshae Trilogy. Out of date and print by now, I"m sure, but it was definitely a bit more gritty then the later stuff.
The quality of storytelling is so poor for most of the FR series, it"s sad.

I think if one videotaped and transcribed random D&D sessions from the 80s, you"d get a better read than so many of these.

I think a lot of RA"s popularity is he was one of the few who could actually write novels that weren"t complete AD&D player/GM oriented story rubbish.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bizanich said:
II still think Salvatore did a great job with the Dark Elf Trilogy. Zaknafein was the man.
Yea, those books up through Icewind Dale were good. Then it got to the point where Drizzt and company could have been attacked by the entire pantheon of gods + invaded by the Empire and the Death Star all at once and there would have been a pile of chopped up dead god corpses while Drizzt threw one of his scimitars down the chute and blew up the Death Star. It was nearly as bad as Greenwood was with Eliminster/*cough*Gandalf with his bullshit pocket dimension and contingency spell that would send him there to heal anything bad that possibly ever happened to him.....kind of takes the mystery out of the characters ever dying.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Flight said:
Anyone who hasn"t should have a play through FFIX. Some of the dynamics are reminiscent of what to expect in FFXIV online, next year. Which is my way of leading into the subject of MMO in game mini games, viaTetra Master,the FFIX in game card game that they took to an out of game client.

Was a great little game. Would be cool to see these kind of things in an MMO and confined to Inns in an MMO; it would really give that "Tavern" feel where the community meets together for a beer and to chill out.
Only thing about this stuff I feel quite strongly about is the mini-games should not be tacked on games that have nothing to do with the world and instead be IN-GAME things.

Often it was mentioned that boat journeys in EQ needed some type of game to while away the time, Gems was pure fail. What the boat needed was dice throwing with the ship mates.

Making the Inn"s used for things would be awesome, the simplicity of putting a game identical to texas hold-em running much like the cash tables on any poker site and then allowing people to play poker for game money is a phenomenal idea. You could have all sorts of gambling types of games because in all reality back in the old days the bars were places where you went to drink and gamble and might hear the odd tidbit of info you wanted. Different bars all over the world could specialize in different games, some might not have poker but they have a roulette wheel, some might have Faro which is an old card game with simple. A Inn could also be the place where you get quests similar to dailies, One Eyed Joe at the bar in Kaladim wants the necklace of Three Eyed Pete who is said to be somewhere in the Cauldron.

Another clear mini-game would be betting on NPC arena matches. Alot of people like these types of things. Betting on the Chocobo races in FF7 was a phenomenal little mini-game that was done right, it was IN-GAME. WOW has alot of places where NPC"s are doing battle with each other, lets see some seedier areas of the world having gladiator pits where captured NPC guards or crusaders are put into the arena with a giant sand worm and they have at it, make the outcomes 50/50, or 25/75, have people bet gold and if their side wins they can win X number of tickets to buy some types of rare loot, mounts, ect...

FF7 did mini-games right, if you want to see them in a MMORPG then just follow that games lead and work off of it.

Tropics_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Trust me if the barriers to making that happen weren"t ridiculous in capital and nightmarish in IP laws/rules/regs it would have been choice #1.

Bringing the Drow city alone to life in an MMO would have been worth it ten times over.
Pretty happy that it was that hard. I like starting a new character with a new story in a new world. I liked reading up on the gods and choosing which I wanted to commit myself too (although I think this should be done in game with a quest-line and that has specific rewards much like a racial attributes).

If it was RA Salvatore"s world I would just end up looking for areas I read about instead of blind exploration and discovery.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Flight said:
It"s common knowledge RA lives within a half hours drive of the 38S studios and goes in a number of times a week to guide and oversee their writing and lore.
RA Salvatore is to this game as Clancy is to any Ubi-Soft game. A name and an endorsement.

I still think Salvatore did a great job with the Dark Elf Trilogy
Streams of Silver was actually the first D&D type book I ever read. I hopped right in and then read the Halfling"s gem and the Dark elf trilogy. 6 books that were perfect (I read the crystal shard later) After that, done. Bastardized. Sold out for cash.

The fact that those people are now working for the company doesn"t say much. It means you have people who sell out and mass produce garbage for their pocket book and now rely on a name. Similar to what Curt Schilling is now doing here.

This genre does not need another one of those. But yet they continue to come. They continue to fail (Which is a good thing, or a bad thing when publishers see it and stop funding of what could be great games) but yet they also continue to make money and those people go bye bye after they cash out.

But this all goes back to one original point I was trying to make earlier. Hiring names and flashing them around points to one marketing ploy to sell a product. It does not point to a good game. When I say make the fucker (TM) I mean just that. Enough of the marketing fluff, enough of the blitz campaign, enough of flashing fantasy names everywhere (Especially when those people are washed up sell outs).

And for Christ sake, enough of posts like "I am sick of all these games and am bored. What are you all playing? Oh by the way my new game named after one of Doc Browns dogs will not be like those games you are bored of. Ok thanks bye!"

It"s painful even watching it.

Mary, who guides his postings, also doesn"t have the first clue about grassroots marketing. She uses marketing tactics that were taught in a state college back in 1976. She never took her shoes off the hook and chased the new cheese in a different corner. It shows here.

At the risk of stating the obvious, but from reading the marketing campaign here of Curt maybe it isn"t so obvious: The trick to a grassroots campaign is to get people fired up about your product without them knowing you are the one selling it. I hate grassroots campaigns because I am a firm believer in letting the bullshit walk and having your product talk. But good christ, Curt, hire someone who head up your marketing department that knows their shit and doesn"t make it so God Damn obvious.

Bizanich_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Physical TCG feels to me like a pure and simple $$ play. The only real tie in to WOW are the mounts and in game items that were there last I saw, but there is ZERO crossover on the two and I wonder what people think about that.

How do you get something in the way of fun and cool in game, while not crushing the immersion piece, adding a crap ton of tun as well?
It most definitely is a money play. That being said, I"ve heard some people actually enjoy the game itself, but it"s no Magic TG.

I think so long as there"s no ingame advantages offered by the cards, I"m okay with it. S"far as I know, there are none. Ialmostgot suckered into it when they released that rocket mount. Tauren on a rocket? Yes please.

Luckily, as I stared at the box longingly in the store, I talked myself out of it. If the game were as good as Magic TCG and I had company to play it I"d have been sucked in to it.

As for the immersion piece, I don"t think that"s ruined by the HOW we acquire the items (be it card prize or ingame raiding), but just that what is acquired meshes with the overall gameworld.

Spectral Tiger? Sure. Rocket? Stretch, but gnomes / goblons rule.

The Murloc Marine might be a bit much in that regard .. .