Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ngruk said:
Please, for the love of all things just and right, do not defend me or anyone at 38 in here. I appreciate it, but I don"t and we don"t need it. If it even warrants a response, we"ll make one.
In the last page of replies I didn"t see jack shit. What in the Christ are you talking about?

As far as anyone "managing" me? Anyone that followed my playing career knows that never has and never will happen.
Oh really?

I finally did figure out how to manage this thread
Thanks Mary.

Spent STUPID amounts of money on Magic TG ONLINE!! Like an idiot. Loved it, but never pushed to be real good.
Popular IP insert familiar with the gaming public #1.

Played Pokeman, Yu-Gi-Oh and a few others with Gehrig as he was growing up.
Popular IP insert familiar with the gaming public #2 with complimentary name drop. (Oh Hi Mary)

The WoW stuff we had fun with, the SOE stuff I had fun with on my own, but I never had the cross over experience in game and out.
You had "fun" with SOE products because you were paid. And then that idea took a new turn when you retired from ball.

Physical TCG feels to me like a pure and simple $$ play. The only real tie in to WOW are the mounts and in game items that were there last I saw, but there is ZERO crossover on the two and I wonder what people think about that.
Let"s discuss crossover over some tea and crumpets. You wonder because instead of just going in head first with an idea, you want to analyze it to make sure it sells first.

How do you get something in the way of fun and cool in game, while not crushing the immersion piece, adding a crap ton of tun as well?
Are you making a fucking Atari game? River Raid, the MMORPG with whirling and dancing scimitar jets hovering over the fuel dump? Come on. I am damn near starting to feel sorry for you.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I am going to post my gaming history. Schilling, protip: gamers see through your bullshit, especially when you mention only the popular ones.

Wing Commander (On a 3.5" fucking floppy on a 386 SX 25 packard bell with a damn 20 meg hard drive and 4 megs of ram)

First online experience aside from playing door games on BBS"s like Tradewars and Operation Overkill: The Sierra Network - Red Baron Online and Shadows of Yserbius. I also popped my head into Leisure Suit Larry land of which I can proudly say a chick from Vegas wanted to fly me in and have sex with me.

AOL - Neverwinter nights online.

Any lucasarts adventure game. Or any Sierra adventure game. But to name one that isn"t popular, Codename: Iceman was the best damn adventure game ever written besides Grim Fandango.

I was utterly disgusted with Outpost.

Strike Commander made my new 486 SX 33 beg for death. So I bought a math co-processor so I could use the advanced HUD in Falcon 3.0.

I was playing Command HQ and winning when we started bombing those arab fuckers in 1991.

First portable game was Tetris on a black and white game boy. The gamegear was better but the battery life sucked.

I plugged in a friends 3DO which was $799.99 at the time and shit my pants at graphics.

I bought Street Fighter II for the Super NES at $74.99.

I was paid $5.00 an hour by Nintendo to play Super Castlevania with a Nintendo apron on when I worked at Software Etc back in 1993 while in college. And I told a 5 year old to shut the fuck up when he tried to tell me how to play it.

I played Battlefield 1942 with somethingawful goons and never laughed so hard in my entire life at Jeep deaths.

I played EQ and didn"t need to get paid an endorsement fee from SOE to talk about it.

I came back to WoW and saw my guild leader and his cohort have NPC arena people named after them. And when I first came back, I wondered why Gurgthock was yelling in Nagrand all the fucking time and I thought he lost his mind. Then I saw Wodin. Then I realized it was NPC"s and then I asked Zoid how the hell they got NPC"s named after them and he said, "because he is a god" and Zoid left to go back to make Left 4 Dead fun from a server point of view even though I liked Metroid Prime better and he invented capture the flag in 1993 BC.

I played in Dragonblight and told my girlfriend to hold up while I was playing and she said why the fuck do you always play this game and I said because of THIS... And I showed her the cut scene and how the land scape changed and she was so impressed we had crazy monkey sex in my computer chair.

Now Curt, THIS is a gamer. I... am a gamer. You, are a fucking marketing gimmick who just tossed around 3 games that you probably saw played by a kid while you were warming up in the bullpen.

You can use one of my new tag lines.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read:Market the fucker (TM)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Camerous said:
Yeah I hadn"t heard it either. He was by far my favorite writer of all time. *sighs*
Actually I didn"t know it either until today when I went to check out the Mallorean series which I still have not read yet, and saw it on Wikipedia. His wife also died in 2007.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Utnayan said:
I am giving you an E-hug and a mafia tap on the cheek (3 times) as we speak.
lol

Anyway I enjoyed the first RA drizzt stuff. My favorite works of his are the Artemis stuff though. Drizzt himself is boring and nothing but a cash cow at this point. If he would write more stuff on Entreri I would buy/read it for sure.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Bad guys are always so much more interesting anyways. Savlator"s Forgotten Realms stuff kinda went downhill after the homeland trilogy though. The Cleric Quintet had the same effect. Cadderly was an awesome character up until he became infallible.

Unfortunately books about unkillable near-god"s tend to get boring after awhile. I like them better when they "meddle" in the affairs of lesser mortals. Elminster for example is great when he shows up in someone elses adventure and deus ex machina"s for them.

But the Elminster in Gell book was goddamn -terrible- and felt like I was reading some shitty fanfic.

Could just be me of course. I"ve always enjoyed the supporting characters in books more then the actual protagonist. Mostly because you know the protagonist is going to win. But the redshirts? Those guys are fucked.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lost Ranger said:
lol

Anyway I enjoyed the first RA drizzt stuff. My favorite works of his are the Artemis stuff though. Drizzt himself is boring and nothing but a cash cow at this point. If he would write more stuff on Entreri I would buy/read it for sure.
Don"t give the guy any ideas. We do not want to turn Entreri into Drizzt.

I can see it now...

Mary: "Hey Salv! We need more money for 38"

Salv: "I can write another book about Drizzt. He will whirl, and dance, and the only original thing about it will be that I create an unused adjective for speed and place my new word on dictionary.com."

Mary: "Will it sell?"

Curt: "I will market it on the FOH Forums. I already managed my post."

Mary: "Ok well post it, and it automatically goes to my computer for approval"

Curt: "Hey guys! It"s me... Schilling. I used to play for Boston and watched Gehrig play a game with a green dino in it... I wanted to ask your opinions today on creative adjectives. What types of adjectives do you use and find to be fun in book reading? I read books all the time. Since I was 7. I love books. Bookie book bookaroo! Oh shit by the way, I love Drizzt books. Have you read a Drizzt book? Did you know there is a new one coming out???"

Mary: "Very good. I made a few changes. "

Curt: "Hey guys! It"s me... Schilling. I used to play for Boston and and Gehrig and I played Yo-Gi-Oh when I was warming up in the bullpen because if you have not heard I used to play baseball for Boston. I wanted to ask your opinions today on creative adjectives. What types of adjectives do you use and find to be fun in book reading? I read books all the time. Since I was 7. I love books. Bookie book bookaroo. And when I was playing for Boston I would look around and try to pick up color adjectives from my fans because I used to play baseball, in Boston. And little Gehrig has a nintendo and he plays that green dino game. He was playing it while I was warming up as a baseball player, in Boston. Oh poop by the way, I love Drizzt books. Have you read a Drizzt book? Did you know there is a new one coming out??? Do they have a store in Boston where I was a baseball player to buy it?"

Spoiler Alert, click show to read:Boston!

Gecko_foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
RA Salvatore is to this game as Clancy is to any Ubi-Soft game. A name and an endorsement. .
Clancy was deeply involved with Red Storm entertainment before it was purchased by Ubisoft. Saying he was just a name is a bit of a disservice to him. Obviously he is now since it"s a large corporate entity.

p.s. Ut! You listed Wing Commander, but not Privateer 1 & 2. Your opinions therefore are worthless.

Oo__foh

shitlord
It"s kind of funny to first blame Salvatore of selling out and then bringing out Eddings. The man who started his literary career when he saw Lord of the Rings in book store in its 78th printing and realized that that crap was still selling. Although I guess it"s not really selling out if you"re in it for the money right from the start.

Anyways, Eddings seemed otherwise pretty cool guy from what I"ve read/heard of him. He considered himself as a writer who introduces people to books, but after that they can move on to "real literature".

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Does anyone here, actually I should say IS anyone here old enough to remember, and have played Wizardry? The entire series until it went big business and became a suck azz franchise?

And on the heels of that the original Bards Tale stuff. I get a bit teary eyed at the Wikipedia images of the game boxes, that was state of the art then.

I can remember running into "hard core" Wizardry players in a computer store, seeing them with their party and they had 2 EVIL Lords and I was screaming CHEATERS! Then I learned how to make it happen, thought I was some sort of genius hacker at that point.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oo_ said:
It"s kind of funny to first blame Salvatore of selling out and then bringing out Eddings. The man who started his literary career when he saw Lord of the Rings in book store in its 78th printing and realized that that crap was still selling. Although I guess it"s not really selling out if you"re in it for the money right from the start.

Anyways, Eddings seemed otherwise pretty cool guy from what I"ve read/heard of him. He considered himself as a writer who introduces people to books, but after that they can move on to "real literature".
Salvatore is a sell out because the dumb son of a bitch doesn"t know when to stop, or actually write something that doesn"t come off the hind end of a pre-existing character piece. Eddings could have written a million more sequels and pre-quels revolving around Sparhawk to make cash, but he didn"t. Because he respected his characters andwasn"ta sell out.

But sure, cannot wait to see this Corporunncis thingamajob, I mean Salvatore stops in once a day to shit in the toilet on his way to the bank.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Utnayan said:
First online experience aside from playing door games on BBS"s like Tradewars and Operation Overkill: The Sierra Network - Red Baron Online and Shadows of Yserbius.
Wow someone else that played Shadows of Yserbius. I loved that game. Expensive as shit too.

I played Tele-Arena 3.0 afterwards which led me to SojournMUD which led me to...

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Lost Ranger said:
God damn I loved Privateer. This thread is starting to make me nostalgic you bastards. Wing Commander was amazing too.
It was very good. And Gecko, you are right. I am sorry. Privateer was one of the best fucking games I have played since that four color version of strip poker on an Apple II GS.

Does anyone here, actually I should say IS anyone here old enough to remember, and have played Wizardry? The entire series until it went big business and became a suck azz franchise?
/facepalm.

You need to make it more believable buddy. Like this: (Of course, I am actually a gamer and not a walking billboard which is probably the key factor in all of this)

"I loved Ultima underworld. The thing that pissed me off though was when I had to burn the fucking carpet with my candle for a key and it took me 5 months of bashing my face against the wall and $5.00 in 900 tip line calls to advance. PS: I am an old fucker. Like Ut. And back then we didn"t have Gamefaqs, we had to call "gaming counselors" who actually spoke English and weren"t in a third world country to ask questions like, "Where the fuck is the wooden sword I can"t find the fucking thing"

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Draegan said:
Wow someone else that played Shadows of Yserbius. I loved that game. Expensive as shit too.

I played Tele-Arena 3.0 afterwards which led me to SojournMUD which led me to...
$59.99 for 50 hours or some shit. And at one point I had a bill for $400.00 on my first Visa card I ever had. Then I played AOL"s NWN, and that was 5 hours a month for free, and $3.95 an hour after.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Yes I played the first Wizardry. That and Ultima 1. 1981 was a good year for RPG video games. For what it"s worth my old ass also played pong when it was still cool.

Edit: Ut you got to stop man. You keep mentioning all the old classics like Ultima Underworld and it just depresses me when I realize there hasn"t been shit that good in a long time. I STILL load up Ultima 4 from time to time (all time favorite game).

Oo__foh

shitlord
Utnayan said:
Salvatore is a sell out because the dumb son of a bitch doesn"t know when to stop, or actually write something that doesn"t come off the hind end of a pre-existing character piece. Eddings could have written a million more sequels and pre-quels revolving around Sparhawk to make cash, but he didn"t. Because he respected his characters andwasn"ta sell out.

But sure, cannot wait to see this Corporunncis thingamajob, I mean Salvatore stops in once a day to shit in the toilet on his way to the bank.
I"m not disputing Salvatore"s selloutness or salivating over the game this thread is loosely about, I"m just trying to put down Eddings who just wrote his one story over and over again, maybe sometimes changing the characters" names and drawing a new world map for the first pages of his book. Eddings"s books were crap and he knew it and was proud of it (and the last one"s why I have some respect for him).