Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Anyone that knows me even a little knows that being "hands off" is not my way. I believe being a leader means running this company with people that make it so I CAN be away and things will run silky smooth. Brett is the President, CEO, he runs the development studio day to day and also works alongside our COO, and myself, in the larger projects focused on the future. Brett gives me the ability to not be there, and know everything is going great. We talk pretty much every day, sometimes more than once or twice.

Interested to see how the CNBC thing comes across. Can"t remember how it went since I"d arrived home from Texas at 5:30am after pitching Sunday night and was in the office by 10am after taking the kids to school and sleeping for 11 minutes.

Protest_foh

shitlord
Ya, I posted the bit about the CNBC piece on my blog this morning. I"m excited to see it, you pr people have got me all hot and bothered. good luck mang.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Anyone know what time the CNBC thing will be on today?

hope it doesnt interfere with the game tonight. Curt pitching on espn tonight.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Man, I wish news had more than 5% of what people were actually interested in. Nice to see 38 Studios getting more exposure, but we hardly heard from Curt at all! Totally weaksauce.

Maxxius_foh

shitlord
Heh, well, basically we have a person who loved playing EQ forming a new company to design a new game over many years, seeking a business partner to, presumably, foot a good chunk of the bill, giving such commitment mostly on faith.

Man this sounds familiar.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:
Heh, well, basically we have a person who loved playing EQ forming a new company to design a new game over many years, seeking a business partner to, presumably, foot a good chunk of the bill, giving such commitment mostly on faith.

I can"t see the future, so debating whether or not 38 Studios" initial venture into the games market will be a good one is pointless. However, setting 2010 as a potential release date doesn"t sound like a "long" development time-line to me at all. If anything, it sounds too short, especially for an MMO by folks seeking to turn the industry on its head.

Frax_foh

shitlord
Maxxius said:

Well considering who the other big names are, its a relatively safe bet their first product is going to be a fantasy MMO, or maybe a horror/fantasy MMO. We"ll learn soon enough, the game is so far away at this point it really doesn"t matter at this point if they are designing a Dilbert MMO. Hmm, i might actually play that!

runcade_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
Anyone that knows me even a little knows that being "hands off" is not my way. I believe being a leader means running this company with people that make it so I CAN be away and things will run silky smooth. Brett is the President, CEO, he runs the development studio day to day and also works alongside our COO, and myself, in the larger projects focused on the future. Brett gives me the ability to not be there, and know everything is going great. We talk pretty much every day, sometimes more than once or twice.

Interested to see how the CNBC thing comes across. Can"t remember how it went since I"d arrived home from Texas at 5:30am after pitching Sunday night and was in the office by 10am after taking the kids to school and sleeping for 11 minutes.
Thanks for keeping us informed. You are creating a hell of a following already just by showing some interest in what gamers think. I wish you luck and keep up the communication.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Paint not blood? Gary Thorne is a tool. It amazes me what announcers will say, the best part is that he said you did it for PR. PR!? He said it for PR, besides the "Baltimore Faithful" who has ever heard of Gary Thorne? Glad you were able to laugh it off and walk away from the whole deal with class.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Oblio said:
Paint not blood? Gary Thorne is a tool. It amazes me what announcers will say, the best part is that he said you did it for PR. PR!? He said it for PR, besides the "Baltimore Faithful" who has ever heard of Gary Thorne? Glad you were able to laugh it off and walk away from the whole deal with class.
HE calls alot of ESPN games. He"s like the 2nd crew behind Miller, and Morgan (cant stand Morgan).

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
kcxiv said:
HE calls alot of ESPN games. He"s like the 2nd crew behind Miller, and Morgan (cant stand Morgan).
Fair enough, that is my bad then ... but still you catch my meaning. It was a cheap shot at 38 and he should have confirmed the story before he ran his mouth. I was just trying to throw 38 a little love.

How can you not like Morgan?

IMO the worst announcer ever was the guy for the Mariners ... I think his name was Ron Farley. The local sports radio station (KJR AM) would make fun of him calling him "Farley Obvious." He would say things like "if the ball goes over the fence it is a home run."

Anyway thanks for catching my mistake.

Frax said:
Well considering who the other big names are, its a relatively safe bet their first product is going to be a fantasy MMO, or maybe a horror/fantasy MMO. We"ll learn soon enough, the game is so far away at this point it really doesn"t matter at this point if they are designing a Dilbert MMO. Hmm, i might actually play that!
If you guysmustdo fantasy, all you have to do is buy the design documents from Darkfall, put your own engine behind it and actually bring it to market. Make it look great and play on the majority of machines and you will be rolling in Groupies like the Boss Man without having to learn how to play baseball.

Darkfall

The "theory" of Darkfall is the holy grail of fantasy MMOs. If you are able to bring it to market you win!

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
I think I"m more than ok with a fantasy based story created by someone that"s overseen the creation of fantasy worlds for three decades. I"ll admit I am a biased fan but R.A. is as creative as anyone I"ve ever read. What"s being created is something pretty incredible.

Not to mention why bring a talent like R.A. into the fold and then grab something else that"s already been created?

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
I think I"m more than ok with a fantasy based story created by someone that"s overseen the creation of fantasy worlds for three decades.
So, is that confirmation the game will be set in a Fantasy universe?

Twobit Whore said:
Well, whatever it is.. I just hope there is a loot called "a bloody sock".
It was marker/ketchup/jelly/lipstick!!

Ngruk said:
I think I"m more than ok with a fantasy based story created by someone that"s overseen the creation of fantasy worlds for three decades. I"ll admit I am a biased fan but R.A. is as creative as anyone I"ve ever read. What"s being created is something pretty incredible.

Not to mention why bring a talent like R.A. into the fold and then grab something else that"s already been created?
I meant the "concepts" that are identified in that video not necessarily copy Darkfall.

The "concepts" identified in that video are concepts for a great game. I would like to see how an All Star Team like they have gathered could implement those concepts putting their own twist on things.