Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Cuppycake said:
"Involved in the industry" = subscriber to MMO"s?
Yeah, I guess that could work. Looks like it"s time to update my resume. I"ve been involved in the gaming industry for 25 years now.

karuden_foh

shitlord
Soygen said:
Yeah, I guess that could work. Looks like it"s time to update my resume. I"ve been involved in the gaming industry for 25 years now.
Well Soy I"ve got you beat by several years so I guess we could start a company and claim to be the most experienced gaming company in existance.

I for one have to echo what Cad said. I have great hopes for 38 Studios but just don"t have a warm fuzzy. Too many failures in the last decade and so far only one real success and several luke warm ones. That is not a really strong track record for the industry.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
/nod I have hopes for 38 as well, but I"m far too "experienced" a gamer to get overly excited about a MMO these days. Wait and see seems the safest stance.

Eduardo_foh

shitlord
Soygen said:
/nod I have hopes for 38 as well, but I"m far too "experienced" a gamer to get overly excited about a MMO these days. Wait and see seems the safest stance.
Having been through a failure myself, I can state that there is no way the 38 Studios company will fail. These guys have set themselves up to be an industry leader, it shows, and will continue to be the case. Their first game will likely do well too, but similar to you I have a harder time getting excited about any MMO nowadays. However I think that has more to do with getting greater enjoyment out of my hobby and other pastimes (such as family life) rather than leveling up in a virtual world.

I like the new website, very nice work. Munch gives me something to play with while I download updates to my audio software Keep it up guys, looking forward to seeing more in the future.

I"m going to have to forge a metallic munch one of these days and mail it to "em. I"m just a beginner of a blacksmith, but i think doing munch would be an interesting challenge.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Watching the game today, and you pitched a pretty damn good game. 7 innings of 4 hit ball. your PC was at 104. if you would like to answer, is your PC at about 100 for now? Anyways, nice way to rebound man.

P.S Papeloban has a nasty spliter with a life freaking fastball.

Frax said:
Assume the genre is going to be fantasy ? If so, why?

There is room and untapped markets for quality MMO sports games these days I think, along with more sci-fi and racing style games.
Fantasy meh. No matter how good the Team and the game is the market is full. We have everything from LoTR to Vanguard to EQ2 and WoW in between. All those games will just get better and better.

What could they possibly bring to the mix? Even if it they execute it perfectly how could it compete with a game that has been out for a while if it is just a slightly new twist on the same old shit? Swords, Orcs, Kill 10 rats, 40 gold for a mount, Elfs, LFG, Crafting, harvesting, class balance, too many Rangers, maces, nuking, blah, blah, blah.

A new fantasy game will be Dead on Arrival.

Cadrid_foh

shitlord
I"m Rich Bitch said:
The only word on what kind of setting their flagship title will encompass is that it"s an original IP created by McFarlane and Salvatore, and that they"re not saying what it is. While I agree it is hard to imagine what kind of room is left in the Fantasy MMO genre, there"s no reason to get worked up over it when we a.) don"t know the setting and b.) don"t know what"s going on in the designers" meetings.

For all we know there"s a big resource that has yet to be tapped into concerning fantasy MMORPGs, unnoticed (or unattainable) for years.

(Footnote: I"m not implying you (or others) are getting uppity about it; just don"t let the idea bother you until it becomes an issue.)

Kuro_foh

shitlord
People have been saying "New fantasy games are doooooomed" since DAOC was announced. Afterall, who needs more when you already have UO and EQ!

There will always be new players, there will always be jaded players looking for a new game to give them that 2-4 month "hit" of "brand new world." You may be burned out on Fantasy settings, but there are plenty of people with credit cards out there that *aren"t*, and new players are exposed to these games every day.

Hell, they might even get some baseball fans that have never played MMOs before hehe.

I"m not revved up over the prospects for a new game, because every company goes into their game"s design/building hoping to make a cool, fun, good game. Few actually make it there, whether Fantasy setting or not.

Camdar_foh

shitlord
Kreugen said:
Why oh why did El Dookie have to come to the NL East.
He made us look like bitches. As a manager there is no reason to not let him try for the complete game that day, he got into a really good groove. I understand the call needing the run, but still, with a lineup like the mets you should have a little more faith in your bats.

But I"m happy, we"re off to a great start. 25 of our first 28 games are division games so it"s crucial we have a strong April. Can"t win the division in the first month, but you can damn sure piss it away.

Here"s to the chopshop.

PS - LOL @ Curts boy Millar doing the Ray Lewis.

Vali_foh

shitlord
I"m Rich Bitch said:
Fantasy meh. No matter how good the Team and the game is the market is full. We have everything from LoTR to Vanguard to EQ2 and WoW in between. All those games will just get better and better.

What could they possibly bring to the mix? Even if it they execute it perfectly how could it compete with a game that has been out for a while if it is just a slightly new twist on the same old shit? Swords, Orcs, Kill 10 rats, 40 gold for a mount, Elfs, LFG, Crafting, harvesting, class balance, too many Rangers, maces, nuking, blah, blah, blah.

I disagree.

Theres still alot of improvement to be had on WoW. Truth be told - I think it was leaps and bounds above the first gen games - eq / daoc etc. But it still has its rough spots.

Just look at the hype WAR is getting. Its fantasy - and don"t doubt for a second that it wont be a big title.

Fantasy or not - its not a streach to be unique.

Even a game based around Salvatores "Demon Wars" saga maybe enough to be another heavy hitter. At least caster gear progression would be "unique"

I still cant believe Microsoft fucked over Mythica for Vanguard. But alas - it was another unique fantasy setting - and I"d reckon would have outperformed vanguard just based on its evolutionary design.

-V

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Theres loads more to be had out of fantasy settings. The problem is that each new iteration sticks to so many of the fundamentals of EQ1, without applying lateral thinking.

i) six player party;
ii) 50 levels (or thereabouts);
ii) party needs a tank and a healer, the rest is, well who cares - some cc and mana regen would be nice;
iv) mid to high level monsters have so many hit points that no fantasy hero ever would be able to kill them.

It seems like the whole industry is subconciously deciding that EQ1 is THE model and nothing else will work.

Can you imagine Conan : "Rogue Barbarian looking for more for Tower of the Elephant, healer needed."

Drizzt : "Dark Elf fighter looking for more to kill Pinochet. Have fighter, archer, barbarian, a dorf and a halfing with a ruby pendant - last space for a healer."

Frodo : "Fed up waiting for a healer to come online Sam, but we need more if we are going to beat Shelob".

So, lateral thinking.

People have been crying out for years for solo servers. Build the game so it is scalable and dungeons are instanced. Solo servers, small group servers (2-3 people), group servers and hard core servers (where you need raids of 30-40 people for end bosses). The same game, different servers. There are so many things you could do based around this if you didn"t want to just leave it at that eg all start solo, when you hit 50 you can move char up to next level of servers (start at lvl 1 with no gear) or allow server transfers but only down to easier servers.

Whatever you do, instanced solo content is another thing the masses have been calling out for. As an aside, if there is a WoW killer, this is it. An option is to make the mobs scale up as more people enter in the party a la Diablo II online play. Its solo play, so go to town on life regen via weapons or skills for melees. Balance these kind of skills down across the different types of server.

Steal the most popular features from other games - what keeps players going back to those games :

i) 100 levels like Diablo or 200 like Anarchy Online is a winner, even if it takes no longer to get there than the 50 levels of EQ1 (balance the time taken according to player feedback). It will be more fulfilling, with more regular dings. As importantly, equipment can be upgraded more often. This means more loot can drop;

ii) more loot can drop - make the loot system like Diablo. Masses of it, it drop solo and has increasing levels of rarity. Incredibly rare pieces you might see every 3 years if you solo all day every day;

iii) Anarchy Online mission generator system;

iv) FFXI chain system. Other games have scratched the surface of this, but have been half hearted attempts.

This could go on forever, theres loads more could be said and each point could generate a lengthy thread, but you know what, it can be easily summarised :

Please don"t give us another enforced 6 player, level 50 experience, Its been done to death.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Camdar said:
He made us look like bitches. As a manager there is no reason to not let him try for the complete game that day, he got into a really good groove. I understand the call needing the run, but still, with a lineup like the mets you should have a little more faith in your bats.

But I"m happy, we"re off to a great start. 25 of our first 28 games are division games so it"s crucial we have a strong April. Can"t win the division in the first month, but you can damn sure piss it away.

Here"s to the chopshop.

PS - LOL @ Curts boy Millar doing the Ray Lewis.
I Think most pitchers are on a strict 100 PC right now. There are hardly any CG"s in the baseball anymore.

Anyways, my Dodgers started off 0-2 now 4-3. not to bad.