Green Monster Games - Curt Schilling

Grave_foh

shitlord
Yeah, it"s pretty cool. Now that I"m seeing more about it, apparently it"s less to do with helping raid loot and more to do with mains having excess badges and nothing to spend them on. You can now use the badges on these items and give them to an alt.

Still though, now that the capability is in place they could do anything with it.

Khane_foh

shitlord
Cadrid said:
Wow, I may actually finish leveling an altwith that system in place.
Well it"s nice to see.

Currently it"s only weapon,shoulders and trinkets that you can buy via this system. Though the weapons themselves relieve a lot of the levelling grief and the shoulders come with a +10% experience gained for killing mobs mod.

Hopefully, they continue to add on until you can get a full set of gear. Also you buy it with Raid badges currently, not heroic badges which kind of sucks for non-raiders.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Curt, question.

First the introduction:
Now we all have been around the block and understand that wedon"tneedfancy groundbreaking shit in our game. We just want things like combat, quests, raids, abilities, etc to fucking work. There is no secret sauce to it, just make it work, as in the opposite of broken.

The whole reason we play is the social aspect, we wouldn"t be batshit insane over MMORPGs unless the social aspect is a large portion of the game.

What was amazing about Everquest is there was an immense amount of accomplishments that you could toss your cock around like it was a dressing shooter at your favorite all-you-can-eat buffet. You had tough quests that made it rare to get great looking items. When you saw someone walk by with an insane robe, weapon, bow, or decked out armor you always inspected and said "fuck that dude is leet."

THAT is what we want. Something to feed the epeen and allow us to achieve hard quests. hard missions, hard raids, and a hard experience. Every game is going the same route, tedious boring shit until max level than the fun begins. The road to max stopped being fun when it started getting easy. Shit is epic boring when it"s easy.

Question here:
Are you planning on making this a difficult game, or something that holds your hand until you are max level? What is your vague outline of start to finish, am I doing a bunch of quests and dumbed down instances? Will I be going toe to toe over the best camp spots with other players? Will there be competition on the road up or will it just be a happy-go-lucky hand hold session? How do you recapture this without segregating yourself to a smaller audience?

I"m not asking for direct information from within the game, just the Foresight(tm) on the direction you are going. I would guess from being a competitive person that this better be a game that delivers player competition?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You know he"s not going to answer that yet, they havn"t even released the name of their game yet. I"d wager you might get some answers after they tell you what they"re calling it.

Zhakran_foh

shitlord
I can answer that question without knowing anything about the game, because it"s been stated many times they want to create a behemoth; a game that can rival WoW for subscriptions.

This kind of game will be easy as you please. At max levels, of course, you"ll need to have challenging content, or hardcore and casual alike will wander off for lack of anything worthwhile to do.(see LOTRO)

But the levelling experience? Please. If there are in fact levels in this game it"s a safebet it will be a hand-holding, no stress, ease you into the game type of process without much grief associated with it. The WoW generation demands nothing less.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Nothing wrong with ease of entry through a leveling process. No need to give people a hard time 10 minutes of starting the game. It"s good design. The elder game can be as difficult as you want.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
I may be in the minority, but I want a game with balls. Something where you are fighting hard to get that +5 int robe on your caster that looks sweet as hell.

Create an environment where you have two options when logging in, low risk low reward or high risk high reward. Instances being catered towards easy and overland/open-dungeons catering towards hard.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Now how do you sell that to the people paying for development?

Edit:
Define "game with balls" and what encompasses "fighting hard to get that +5".

Tell me if it"s anything more than:
No "!" over quest givers.
No direction from quest hub to quest hub or map to map.
Harsh death penalty.
No instances.

What makes an instance hard or easier than non-instanced?
Can you make it more interesting without a PVP element?
Is it just racing against other people at random times of the day when something happens?
Is it the constant vigilance to guard a spawn?

How do you create a dynamic event that"s hard enough without it being a random rare spawn in an open environment when you have the potential of many people participating with and against that spawn in a single area. Remember hard and balls.

I"m not for or against any of this but just asking you to be distinct.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I don"t see how it"s off topic. The thread has "Curt Schilling" in the title. And there"s more substance to that, than the vaporware company he"s created.

And yes, were talking about the guy who will take a 7-figure contract, (more money than 99.9% of you folks will make through your entire lives), and not even throw a single pitch. Yet he"s clearly got enough moral high-ground to talk shit about all of New York, Manny, and anyone else who pisses him off.

So when the game comes out in 2025, he"ll likely turn on his playerbase and call you all traitors for not wanting to give him money for nothing. Hell Boston did it, why won"t you!?

For fucks sake Schilling, shut the fuck up with all your hate and your immediate passive-aggressive nature when attacked yourself. You hate Mariotti for doing his job (critic), but you turn around and do the exact same things. If you can"t be trusted to shut up and do your main job, how can you be expected to produce a quality game from your "hobby"? And no, hiring a couple Devs who are awesome at saying "Yes Mr. Schilling." doesn"t fucking count.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Well alrighty....

Not gonna go with Jait"s level of vitriol, but 308 pages of posts on FoH about something that really is vaporware, without the merciless shredding you know Brad, Smed or anyone else would get, is pretty remarkable.

I hope that whatever Schilling and Co come out with kicks ass on the galactic scale, because anything less, and a whole bunch of normally bitter and cynical folks who put aside their normal hate filled rantings and venom for a chance to kiss some pro-athlete ass will be mighty pissed that they didn"t go all Utnayan and have "told ya so" bragging rights. Shit will be hardcore up in here if this game doesn"t materialize into bona fide WoW killer.

Maybe that"s what Jait is doing, planting his told-ya-so flag right now to have exclsuive rights to being the first one to say this game would be shit.

Well played sir.

Gnomedolf_foh

shitlord
Who knows how the game will end up playing, but I think Curt has a good understanding of what is needed these days. While he is not a professional game designer, he has played these types of games for a long time, so I hope his gaming experience leads him in the right direction.

Heck, it could turn out to be Baseball Manager Online for all we know, but whatever it is, I BEG of you to make sure your game is polished to a high sheen before release. Make the damn thing work and you"ll keep some subs.

Ngruk_foh

shitlord
Jait said:
I don"t see how it"s off topic. The thread has "Curt Schilling" in the title. And there"s more substance to that, than the vaporware company he"s created...
Blah blah blah
Save it dude, you"re the idiot wasting your life talking about someone you hate, why? Go do whatever it is you do with whomever you do it with.

People ask me questions, I answer them how I feel, you have a problem with that don"t listen, turn the channel, don"t open the thread, go away.

Oh and your Mariotti defense is perfect, because he"s in that group of people that are complete tools at what they do, and always have been. He"s as much an "expert" on sports as I am on Kayaking. You he and Stuart Scott need to hang out.

Let me quess, Democrat as well?

Perfect.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Gnomedolf said:
Who knows how the game will end up playing, but I think Curt has a good understanding of what is needed these days. While he is not a professional game designer, he has played these types of games for a long time, so I hope his gaming experience leads him in the right direction.

Heck, it could turn out to be Baseball Manager Online for all we know, but whatever it is, I BEG of you to make sure your game is polished to a high sheen before release. Make the damn thing work and you"ll keep some subs.
Hey, roger that. I am not the Utanayan wannabe, and I always hope for new games that are polished, fun and worth the money.

I was just remarking on how placid and aggreable the normal vicious and fucking ruthless FoH crowd is towards Curt"s game, and that by not venting it now, if the game is subpar in any way, that all that stored up hate will be pretty merciless down the road.

Figure a longtime player with a big bankroll, good story writers, and a good dev crew who all play games, you should be on target to pull off a winner. I just have never seen FoH this agreeable, and I chalk it up to Curt being who he is.

Jait"s taking the road less traveled in this thread, but certainly a well trodden road for FoH.

gnomad_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
... some Bullshit comments...

Perfect.
Let me guess, arrogant spoiled rich kid asshole as well?

Until you show some product you are no different then Brad McQualude. You just don"t blow your horn and lie to us as much as he did (yet I might add).

I don"t care about the "almighty" beta that all the sychophants on here want to get into by being "nice" to you (and that is the ONLY reason they treat you with kid gloves).

I want quality and I have said it before and will again that I doubt you can deliver, and you come off like a total ass being the head of a company and responding like you did to Jait.

Just because you play a game doesn"t mean you can make a game.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
I am on the fuck Mariotti bandwagon as well, but i dont give a fuck what Manny was like in Boston. I do know he"s batting .403 since he became a Dodger and is fucking it up. I could care less if he"s playing for another big contract (which by the way he"s going to get somewhere). I just care how he"s playing right now. Putting him in front of Either has been wonderous. Keep it up Manny!!!!!! He even tucks in his dreadlocks now.

Manny for the Dodgers gets a A++++++.

Venjenz_foh

shitlord
Ngruk said:
OK, now that might get you some FoH hate. In the subgroup of the population known as "hardcore gamer" Republicans are the only people on Earth held in lower regard than game developers. Matter of fact, I think if you were to poll FoH, republicans might fall below pedophiles and terrorists on the likeability chart. At least that"s the sense I get anytime I see any political topic in any section of this forum.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Ngruk said:

Perfect.
Really? For serious? You shouldn"t have gone there. Support my game or the terrorists win?

So you can"t argue the merits of your actions in baseball or gaming effectively, and feel the need to expand the argument to a vague, pointless arena? Or do you have the simple idea that merely accusing your opponent of being a democratisvictory when the discussion is baseball and video games?

What is a democrat anyway? Define your terms. Someone who is registered as a democrat? I guess they"re all awful people that define scum of the earth eh?