Grills

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
We are going to look around / hopefully pick up a natural gas grill tonight. Does anyone have any strong recommendations for brands?

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
This is what I went with. The #8 didn't fit so well on the lower.

rrr_img_19469.jpg

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
No recommendations for gas. But I am still debating with myself over the better flavor of a charcoal grill versus gas. Had gas 5 years ago for a few years then moved and left grill as part of house sale (for some extra cash). Bought a charcoal one now and been using it. Really to me its weighing the better taste to me versus the inconvenience of not having gas (having to always start the coals, get them going, etc... sometimes seems like a big waste of effort and time just to cook up a couple hot dogs or 3 burgers for just me and my wife).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have this one;

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Inf.../dp/B002DM5DV4

It is on the expensive side but it is an extremely good grill. It is only me and my GF so I didn't need a giant grill. This one can get hot as fuck which is good because we both like seared steaks. Very well made and effecient in it's gas use even though I generally heat it up to 750+ degrees. Only major downside is you pretty much *must* clean it after every use. Just get the wire brush and the provided steel tool. It only takes a few minutes but with the grate design it doesn't let the charred stuff fall through and will taint the flavor if you don't clean it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I feel like if you want to do steaks then it is a must. If you mostly cook hot dogs and burgers I don't know if it is mandatory.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Infra-red costs more, but it does heat up faster, and cook faster. Infra-red is not needed for a good sear on a steak. Stolen from a grilling website:

Why Infrared: The one basic and most important fact about infrared grills and burners is that they generate much higher temperatures than normal grills and can heat up much faster. It isn?t uncommon to hear that these grills can reach surface cooking temperatures well over 700 degrees F in as little as 7 minutes. Pretty impressive, but what does this do for you. Infrared grill makers promise that these units sear meats quickly, lock in juices, and cook faster than any other grill. The problem with these claims is that searing doesn?t work that way. Searing does not lock in juices, it causes browning and caramelization on the surface of meats (read ?searing? for more information on this). This process of browning, called the Maillard reaction, happens at temperatures between 300 and 500 degrees F. So what this leaves us with is that infrared cooks faster. That is something you can not argue with. It is this fast and hot cooking that is infrared grills greatest advantage.

Problems with Infrared Infrared cooking can be brutally powerful. While solid and dense meats can hold up to the heat of an infrared grill, fish, and vegetables can be harder to cook on this type of burner because of the intensity of the heat. While there are grills out there than offer all infrared, many grill makers have turned to putting in a special, dedicated infrared burner so you can have the best of both worlds. Regardless of the equipment you buy remember that infrared cooking takes some learning and practice. Don?t expect to get a perfect steak the first time you try out an infrared grill. I?ve seen professionals make serious mistakes on an infrared grill. For most food you cook on infrared you need the maximum temperature for a very short time, around a minute per side, before reducing the temperature or moving to a non-infrared part of the grill to finish cooking

Health Concerns: I said before that browning and caramelization occurs at temperatures below 500 degrees F. Burning and charring, which can create cancer causing substances, occurs quickly at temperatures above this point. When cooking on infrared is it very important that you keep a close eye on foods. Since your cooking time is reduced you can burn meats very quickly. Burnt food always presents a cancer risk and needs to be avoided at all costs.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I got my grill from Costco, propane, not natural gas (can they be converted?). It has held up very well and was probably the best value in features-to-price ratio. I have the infra-red and I love it. It can help heat the whole grill faster and when cooking steaks, I use the method outlined above where I sear each side for about 2 minutes per side before moving to low heat on another part of the grill to finish cooking. Also great for cooking up things like carne-asada.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They sell some kind of conversion kits, not sure if they are propane to natural gas or the other way around.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Oh and I forgot to mention my first grill (the gas one) was hooked right into house line natural gas, as mentioned by others... not dumb propane tanks running out mid grilling, or anything crappy like that. If I was going to give up the flavor of charcoal to go back to gas, it would only be for natural gas and not tanks I have to take and get new ones, etc... even if that happens 1 out of every 50 times over a summer, that is enough hassle to annoy me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I have a nearly 30 year old Weber (still have the receipt and manual my parents gave me when they handed it down, October 1987 baby) on my patio that has had basically zero maintenance or care, and it just keeps trucking along. I don't know if the sparker has ever been replaced, certainly not in the past 10 years that I've had it anyways.

That said, the grilles themselves are just about done, nearly oxidized all the way through in a few spots.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
15+ years with the current Weber. Literally not one issue with it. Very happy with it.

rrr_img_23522.jpg

rrr_img_23522.jpg

Psypher_sl

shitlord
Are Weber's really worth the premium you pay for them?
I used to buy cheap grills...until my friend convinced me otherwise. So while I'm typically cautious when it comes to what seem like overpriced products, I can say without a doubt, FUCK YES, Webers are worth it. It may have a higher upfront cost, but while your cheaper, Chargrill crap turns to dust, a Weber will still be standing. My charcoal is a Weber Performer and I love it. I'm looking at getting a gas one this year and it will either be a Weber Genesis or a Summit depending on how my extra contract work goes this year.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I used to buy cheap grills...until my friend convinced me otherwise. So while I'm typically cautious when it comes to what seem like overpriced products, I can say without a doubt, FUCK YES, Webers are worth it. It may have a higher upfront cost, but while your cheaper, Chargrill crap turns to dust, a Weber will still be standing. My charcoal is a Weber Performer and I love it. I'm looking at getting a gas one this year and it will either be a Weber Genesis or a Summit depending on how my extra contract work goes this year.
I too have a Weber Performer and love it! My father has the 22" Weber (plain kettle) for nearly 30 years and aside from replacing the wood handles on it, it's still in remarkable shape.