Grim Dawn

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
At this point I'm waiting for release, they said they're on track for end of the year, so I'm just gonna wait as I know I won't be able to bother playing the game again in a few months if I play now(also S4 in D3 so whatever). I did log in to check the new class, looks kinda nice and means you can have some variety in pet builds now rather than just Occultist pets. Also has 2H specific stuff for those builds, rather than just boring Soldier stuff.

Caliane

yeah. logged in yesterday to check it out. shaman seems fun. nice elemental/nature summons.
Still can't say I'd recommend the game over PoE ever. Probably not even over diablo.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They just released a new update this morning and the game is feature complete now. Still technically in EA, but there shouldn't be any more than just tweaks for balancing between now and release.

I wasn't going to buy it until full release but now seems like a good time to get it while it's -40% (not the lowest it's ever been, but it's only like a buck-fifty difference anyway). Whenever they do a full release early next year, it will probably be full price.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Might go down lower in the first big sale after the release, but that's like spring or whatever, so in several months, so yeah probably worth grabbing now. Although, expect potentially some issues that will get hotfixed later this week/next week, always happens with new builds. Still that's a pretty big step and the game has quite a lot of content now it seems. It's been like 2 years since this entered early access so it's pretty cool to see it being actually finished.

Vorph

Only played a couple hours so far, but I'm loving the game. The engine seems very well done, maxed out all settings and it never budges from v-synced 60 fps. Nice lighting and shadows, movement and attack animations are very smooth, etc.

Playing a Nightblade and hit L10 just before I had to leave for xmas eve stuff. What second class pairs well with it?

Caliane

yeah. to repeat mostly what I said before.
the game itself, in a vacuum is pretty good. visuals are good. the storyline/worldbuilding is great.(better then poe) skills are pretty impactful.

mastery system is a letdown. based on Titanquest. and largely the same. flaws included. skills are very limited, with very limited modifications of them. there simply is not endless builds like in PoE.

This recent patch added the domains, which sortof like PoE's passive tree. a neat addition, adds new skills, and more stats mostly.

the game does not use procedural generated content. the map does not change, save minor "roadblocks" at chokepoints to force you to run different paths from time to time. Otherwise, farming content is farming the same stuff over and over. there are also once per character chests throughout the world as well. It DOES have hidden content, along these lines. Which is neat. but also, does not play into the replayablity of ARPGS well.

Stats and gear are not perfect either. be aware, it is like POE with +damage adding together. it all adds together. ADDS. so like +550 damage from spirit, +400 cold damage from various gear, +200 cold from skill, gives you 1150 cold damage. then, another skill which reduces damage by 50%. well, that just subtracts 50 from your 1150. But unlike POE, lacks the "less", "more" or local vs global to make it more complex, and effective. Its simple version just trivializes any individual source of damage, or debuff.

All around, worth a playthrough. I won't be ditching PoE for it though. even disregarding the price point.

Vorph

That's ok with me, I ditched PoE long ago and I still think it has the worst loot system ever devised by mankind. I'm really not interested in anything but single player or LAN coop in my ARPGs, so any game that balances loot drops around a shitty 'economy' is never going to work for me for very long.

Torchlight 2 is more my style, except that I never found any of the classes fun in the long run. Hoping that the TQ-ish design turns out better here.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I like Titan quest more than Diablo, and grim dawn more than Titan quest. Glad I finally picked it up. Going Shaman/Soldier focus on passive AOE+bleeds and trauma dots. Mix in the ground slam that chain lightning+stun I am wrecking stuff.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Skills seem strange so far. I'm doing occultist/pyro stuff right now and have some pets, but I don't really have any spells to cast to do damage with. Wound up just using a generic fireball skill from one of the components I found as my bread and butter damage, which feels kinda backwards, but whatever it's working.

Caliane

yeah. along the way they did realize the class trees weren't enough for skills.
so, did add them to gear.

so now you can get skills via, gear, class tree, or constellations. A bit more robust then I probably suggested. the class tree skills have more talents, and builds directed for them. but doesnt mean much as long as you are geared for any given skill, with proper stats.

most of my play is pure arcanist. skyshards primary skill.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I made a summoner style guy, occultist and shaman hybrid with 3 pets so far, more later once I'm further in the tree. It's effective so far on veteran difficulty, but a little dull. I mostly just walk around doing nothing while pets fight. I may restart as a more active build, some flavor of the rogue tree maybe.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is the latest steam build map complete or are they adding more levels and areas before release?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Story I've seen is that it's "complete" and will just be balance/bug fixes until release now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is the latest steam build map complete or are they adding more levels and areas before release?
It's content complete. However as is typical with their new builds, there's a bunch of potential issues so unless you want to play it now, you might as well wait another couple of weeks for the hotfix patches. They'll do balancing passes and adding new items and stuff potentially until it's in a release state, planned release date is around february.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's content complete. However as is typical with their new builds, there's a bunch of potential issues so unless you want to play it now, you might as well wait another couple of weeks for the hotfix patches. They'll do balancing passes and adding new items and stuff potentially until it's in a release state, planned release date is around february.
It's on sale right now though :p

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's on sale right now though :p
Yeah what I meant is, you can buy it now(or well before the sale ends, which is in 2weeks), but you might want to wait a bit on playing it. I know I'll wait some more at least. It's playable atm but there's some potential gamebreaking issues currently with the last content added as well as some other annoying stuff.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Game is a blast, comparing it to PoE is kinda silly because it's not really the same spirit of ARPGs, it's mostly an offline game with traditional D1/D2 style multiplayer, it's not a forced online/multiplayer like PoE and D3. PoE will definitely keep you busier in the long run if you can tolerate the loot system.

TQ was an epic game, I loved it and supported Grim Dawn from day 1 before they did their kickstarter. It's awesome to see what its grown, esp since being part of the very first alpha builds. It's well worth the $15 cost right now, IMO.

Caliane

yeah, see I consider BNET and D2 online mp to be a key aspect of its success. I never had an offline char in D2 over level 10.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Been playing this for a couple years and this latest build is fantastic. They added over 500 new items, half of which are more powerful versions of low level epics. The new legendary stuff is great though my main isn't high enough for them yet. The build diversity in this game is much deeper than people who haven't spent a lot of time with it yet say it is. Builds can be built around skills that come from weapons or components, not just from your class trees. The new difficulties, legendary skills and Devotion trees made this game so damn good. Full modding tools will be released soon as well, it's going to be solid for years.

The best part is that the loot system is reasonable unlike POE. You can play for a few hours and farm something useful for one of your characters. I remember going weeks in POE and getting jack shit other than currency.

This game is well worth full price.