Grim Dawn

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
LOL, I have not played in a while but is there even bows on GD? I thought it was just 1h guns and 2h rifles?

There's crossbows, big ones

inquisitor is a very fun ranged build to do, maybe mix in demo or soldier

rifle cadence soldier i did with flash bangs was one of my faves

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I forgot about crossbows. Never used on in GD. It was always ranged with guns in GD for me.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So I'm giving up on Wolcen for now after the 2nd time my characters story progress reset to 0.

Time to give this another run. I don't own any of the DLC for it - should I grab those for a fresh start, or are they mostly end game content?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I'm giving up on Wolcen for now after the 2nd time my characters story progress reset to 0.

Time to give this another run. I don't own any of the DLC for it - should I grab those for a fresh start, or are they mostly end game content?

Think of them as an added "act". Malmouth adds one and the new one adds another. New one is better than Malmouth but because Malmouth seemed like youre stuck in corridors all the fucking time, but still its a good exp which adds a ton of content, gear sets at the highest difficulty and I think it added the necro class. The new one also added a new class to mix and match with the other existing ones. Kind of like a captain america type shield thrower.(It also added spin to win) Forgot the name. If you get Malmouth dont forget your aether resist. :D

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Coincidentally game is on sale now, $5 for game, $5 for crucible, $10 for each DLC.

ronne ronne

I’d skip crucible unless they have changed it recently. The latest DLC does crucible mode so much better than the actual crucible does, imo.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Lol amazing, it wasn't on sale earlier.

Someone in their marketing team must have gotten wind of the Wolcen dumpster fire.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Lol amazing, it wasn't on sale earlier.

Someone in their marketing team must have gotten wind of the Wolcen dumpster fire.

Good point. $25 for the main game and both major expansions is a lot of non buggy game for almost half the price of wolcen.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How important is it that I find some build to follow? I've tried this shit a few times in the past but always manage to hit a wall endgame cause my build is bad and iirc the respect options were pretty limited?

Still need to build relatively optimal to finish it all?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah this game is pretty unrelenting later if you dont have your shit straight. 1st play through is EZ, 2nd is hard, 3rdd you better have your ducks in a row.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Lol well I'm getting absolutely shithammered in the first area trying to play on Veteran or whatever is.

Might have to be a puss and go back to normal mode.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Lol well I'm getting absolutely shithammered in the first area trying to play on Veteran or whatever is.

Might have to be a puss and go back to normal mode.
Veteran has a weird curve and is more something they added back in the days when the game was way shorter to make players rerolling not feel as bored in their normal playthrough. It can be rough especially if you don't do cookie cutter strong early builds(which generally involve picking specific skills and maxing them asap which is pretty boring imo since you end up with not many skills to play around for a while).

There's really no shame in turning it off since it's not really that useful, and the game's difficulty will scale eventually once you reach act 5+. You can turn it back on too if you feel it's too easy.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
How important is it that I find some build to follow? I've tried this shit a few times in the past but always manage to hit a wall endgame cause my build is bad and iirc the respect options were pretty limited?

It's quite important to follow a guide the first time as it can get a bit complex with gear and devotions etc and having a bad build is a bit shit in GD.

All these builds are good for a first playthrough:

Brikker

Trump's Staff

I've seen this one mentioned a few times as a very good starter. I haven't played GD yet but picked up the Definitive Edition this sale to try out when Wolcen gets stale.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've seen this one mentioned a few times as a very good starter. I haven't played GD yet but picked up the Definitive Edition this sale to try out when Wolcen gets stale.

Acid dervish is pretty nice if you want to melee with a fairly fast char, scales well into endgame too. There's definitely a lot of good starter builds though, anything+oathkeeper or soldier tends to be pretty decent since those have great support passives/actives that'll make anything tanky enough.

The big thing about new players and builds is following a devotion guide(which is included in most guides), that shit's really not intuitive especially once you get into it and find out you can refund stuff to optimize things, and it's very hard to figure out what you're supposed to get at all until you've done a few builds and seen how people generally do it. Once you get it, it's pretty cookie cutter stuff for most builds but it's an absolute mindfuck if you try to figure it out yourself, you'll just put points into random shit and probably waste everything. And devotions are a huge part of builds, quite often they'll provide like 1/4 to 1/2 of your total damage and for some weirder builds even more, while also providing a fair amount of your defenses, so if you fuck it up you'll be a ton weaker than you could be.

• 1Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
GD is pretty similar to PoE with respect to needing to just play the game and all the ins and outs of gearing and character building make sense over time. Following a build guide is always the best way but most build guides are godawful and centered around gear you’ll not have for a long ass time. They also don’t detail how to get to that point so finding a good noob friendly one that explains itself is key. Finishing the campaign and getting to 100 should be relatively trivial with a decent build and prior arpg experience.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Don't sky away from high resist green items with your given damage type. Some of my best in slots were those.

From there, it's huge you figure out how to min max all your resists, craft whatever is needed and upgrade your relic.

Best farming spots before moving on to the next difficulty are the areas before skele key dungeons like steps of torment and the big rift above a4.

• 1Like