Grim Dawn

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What are the essential mods? I’ve read a bag space one or maybe it was stash space was a major need.
Gonna download the game off Steam to see how it is. I'm getting that ARPG itch again after the Wolcen clusterfuck. Plus it has a Diablo 2 mod I want to try.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Just the base game with no mods was so damn good for me. Loved finding shrines and playing no spoiler till going back after killing last boss.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The rainbow mod should be part of the base game imo. They said they like it but it would be unfair to color blind people so instead everyone has to suffer. I really hate their devs mentality sometimes. Since some people have a disability we’re going to make it like everyone has it, even though everyone uses the fucking mod anyways.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Anyone know how it works if I have a skill that converts 100% of physical to Acid but an item converts xx% of physical to something else?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know how it works if I have a skill that converts 100% of physical to Acid but an item converts xx% of physical to something else?

Only the skill would convert it. Conversion only happens one time for each type, in a hierarchal fashion. Skill is above item in that hierarchy.

A more in depth analysis from a reddit post that sounds right to me. It’s been a long time since I tried to understand It myself, I’ve just followed build guides for a long time.

“Conversion is a special stat found on equipment and skills that changes one damage type to another. The way it behaves is different depending on whether it modifies a skill or is found on a piece of equipment. The order of events for Conversion is as follows: Base Skill > Skill Modifiers > Conversion on the Skill or Transmuter > Conversion on Equipment and Buffs > Equipment, Auras and Passives If you have a skill, such as a Transmuter, that converts the damage your attack does, then this calculation is performed before any bonuses from other skills, attributes or equipment are considered. Skill modifiers are still applied first. What this means is that if you take a skill that normally deals Aether damage and use Conversion to make it deal Chaos damage instead, then the skill will benefit from % Chaos Damage bonuses instead of % Aether Damage bonuses. If you have an amulet with 10% of physical damage converted to fire, that means that 10% of all physical damage you deal (regardless of source) will be dealt as fire instead. This calculation is done before any bonuses you receive to physical damage from Cunning, skills and equipment. What this means is that you can change the damage your weapons and skills do to suit the % damage bonuses on your equipment, opening up exciting opportunities for hybrid builds. No matter where the Conversion occurs though, it is only applied once. What this means is that if a skill has its damage converted to another damage type via a Modifier or Transmuter (ex. Aether turned into Chaos), the converted damage cannot then be converted again by items (the Chaos damage from the earlier example cannot be then turned into Elemental via an item because Conversion has already occurred).“

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
As mentionned, if a skill converts, it takes priority. If however you have 2 sources of conversion of the same tier(for example 2 items) and the total converted is over 100%, then it weights them down to convert 100%.

Let's say you have a skill that does 50% phys to fire, and then 1 item that does 75% phys to cold, and one item that does 50% phys to lightning.

On a 100phys dmg hit, first you convert to fire because it's a skill modifier and takes prescendence, so you do 50phys 50fire. Then that remaining 50phys is converted by your items, you have 125%, so you do 100/125= 0.8 and you multiply that by the % of each to get their weighted value so you'd get 60% cold and 40% lightning, so 30 cold and 20 lightning.

Probably not explained very well but hopefull you get the point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Any suggestions on a good starter class/build that can get me to endgame to farm gear? Been reading may try occulist/necro or oathkeeper/occulist build. Would prefer a melee build tho.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
See, I woulda thrown u into the bottomless pit of theorycrafting and tweaking your own shit like I did.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone use Rainbow filter mod? I have GrimInternals up and running but can't get Rainbow to work. Do you put the file in your mod or Grim Dawn main directory folder?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Anyone use Rainbow filter mod? I have GrimInternals up and running but can't get Rainbow to work. Do you put the file in your mod or Grim Dawn main directory folder?

The instructions are here:

Sounds like it's an .exe file that you configure once it's installed.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Making sure the text files are in the right place tripped me up in the past.

Example Path taken from me: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn
|-- Grim Dawn
|-- ArchiveTool.exe
|-- Grim Dawn.exe
|-- settings
|-- text_en
|-- tags_items.txt
|-- tags_ui.txt
|-- tagsgdx1_items.txt
|-- tagsgdx1_storyelements.txt
|-- tagsgdx2_endlessdungeon.txt
|-- tagsgdx2_items.txt

Brikker

Trump's Staff
How does the Item Assistant work? I've got it up but not sure how to actually put gear in it...

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If it's the one I'm thinking of, you need to put it in the last shared stash tab, and when you walk away it'll upload to the mod

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How does the Item Assistant work? I've got it up but not sure how to actually put gear in it...

There are settings to decide which of your stash tabs sucks up the item. Like if it’s set to the last tab and you’re new and don’t have that one yet it won’t work, so need to change it to second tab.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah. I was thinking just wanting unlimited stash and good item filtering.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So this game is awesome, I shoulda played it ages ago. Gonna take a break for PoE league but definitely gonna come back to GD.

What are some awesome builds you guys like? The acid/poison dervish I started with should be good to farm everything.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had fun with spin to win, now I'm doing my first build from scratch, going with lightning retaliation based warder

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Had fun with spin to win, now I'm doing my first build from scratch, going with lightning retaliation based warder
Started off doing a primal strike warder but stopped playing it. I went ahead and made a vitality damage based ritualist and I'm having soooo much fun. Game is definitely underrated. Once I get geared and start farming I may finish leveling my acid/poison-based dervish.