Grim Dawn

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah playing on vet makes a HUGE difference. I originally started on veteran but went down in difficulty cause I wasnt killing shit fast enough and I was a fresh character with no leveling gear. So I think I will try vet again when I get the leveling gear when I make a new character.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Veteran was added during early access/beta back when there were only 2 acts, and it made a lot more sense then, but unless you really just want the "challenge", it's not really worth it.

Hell for rerolls it's not worth it either, if you go far enough in Forgotten Gods, you can get tokens that let you unlock difficulties instantly that you can drop in the stash. Iirc my normal level pattern after that was going ultimate at lvl 1 to get the first few shrines and hit lvl 18 from turning in easy quests(scrap and crystal turn in, talking to the respec lady, killing some zombies or a named fuck or whatever and doing the first main quest with the necromancer cave), then normal but only grabbing shrines and not killing anything(you've overlvled anyway) up until act 4 or whatever, then start playing on heroic at lvl ~30-35 with a bunch of devotion points. Oh and you need xp pots the entire time because they double quest xp, so when you're in that Ultimate difficulty at lvl 1 you pop a potion and it gives a shit ton more xp.

Honestly the process was super fast, it was like 1-50 in 2-3hours or something like that, helps a lot when you want to reroll.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't even aware there were leveling exp pots and how do you even get them? I'm currently still leveling my ritualist and I still dont know what I'll level next. It's definetly will be a melee class. Many people in discord suggested a death knight but I'm not a fan of that cadence skill. I thought about a spell scourge battlemage but I'm not sure what damage type they use. Guess I'll do some research while I'm at work on it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wasn't even aware there were leveling exp pots and how do you even get them? I'm currently still leveling my ritualist and I still dont know what I'll level next. It's definetly will be a melee class. Many people in discord suggested a death knight but I'm not a fan of that cadence skill. I thought about a spell scourge battlemage but I'm not sure what damage type they use. Guess I'll do some research while I'm at work on it.
From the top of my head, xp potion is max rep from the rep in Ashes of Malmouth last part(rebels or whatever). They're expensive at low lvl though. The stones that unlock difficulties are from the Forgotten Gods reputations(whichever you pick). Reps in general is something you want to max on your first char, then you can buy writs to give massive bonuses to rep grinding on alts so it's a one time grind basically(still have to grind after but goes a shit ton faster).

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You on Veteran? It makes a big difference in mob toughness (for 10% more exp and more heroes so more loot). I did the same class but went DW Melee and was melting shit, but didn't do Veteran.
Of course!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
From the top of my head, xp potion is max rep from the rep in Ashes of Malmouth last part(rebels or whatever). They're expensive at low lvl though. The stones that unlock difficulties are from the Forgotten Gods reputations(whichever you pick). Reps in general is something you want to max on your first char, then you can buy writs to give massive bonuses to rep grinding on alts so it's a one time grind basically(still have to grind after but goes a shit ton faster).

I think you get one for beating malmouth story content too but it’s been a while. Anyway once you get some you can trade them to your new chars in the stash.

Caeden

So I’ve just been exploring. Trying to quest and play blind like my first PoE playthrough. Picked a build that looked fun enough to learn the ropes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Of course!

Like people said veteran just kind of makes it slow if you don’t have leveling gear. Even if you do it just kind of makes it slow. Some of the boss fights are more dangerous but mostly just seemed longer. Had to kite a few, died more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Like people said veteran just kind of makes it slow if you don’t have leveling gear. Even if you do it just kind of makes it slow. Some of the boss fights are more dangerous but mostly just seemed longer. Had to kite a few, died more.
That is my exact experience. More kiting on bosses.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty much this. I can't believe I didn't try this game much sooner. I guess I was so tied up with other ARPGs that I never bothered to try it. Only real gripe I have with this game and it's minor for me is the lack of a true multiplayer and chat. There's no server you can connect to chat and play with other players. I believe it's peer to peer. Again I don't really group that often but at times I would like to do a party. I mainly play solo and this game leans towards a SSF playstyle. Also the design layout of Malmouth is pure cancer. I hate hate hate it.

Anyone wanting to try this here is a list of builds. There are so many to choose from and there is a beginners section.

This guys build layout is generally much more comprehensive than most of the builds you find on the official forums. Especially for beginners.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
This guys build layout is generally much more comprehensive than most of the builds you find on the official forums. Especially for beginners.

Heh.... I posted one of his builds in the GD discord and everyone in there went bat shit crazy. Appraently he's an outcast in the GD community. He got banned from the discord and the official forums. Story goes he was posting bad builds and copying other player builds taking credit for them. When he got feedback on them he would off on people. It got to a point where Zentai(sp) a rep from GD had to intervene. So he made his own site to post GD builds. I've seen a few of his builds but never really tried them.

• 1WTF

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Heh.... I posted one of his builds in the GD discord and everyone in there went bat shit crazy. Appraently he's an outcast in the GD community. He got banned from the discord and the official forums. Story goes he was posting bad builds and copying other player builds taking credit for them. When he got feedback on them he would off on people. It got to a point where Zentai(sp) a rep from GD had to intervene. So he made his own site to post GD builds. I've seen a few of his builds but never really tried them.

The crate forums have always been full of people that use tools like GD stash to make builds that are very good but if you want to obtain half the items required legit you'd have to play for hundreds of hours. Crates forums are toxic for anyone new to come in and post a new build or guide and on top of that they are ultra cunty to new players for the most part.

Anyway it's a bit like poe or diablo 3 in GD. One skill path will usually be really optimal and one gear set will usually be optimal.

I think he's done a fantastic job of making guides that are very newbie friendly, something that crates forums are sadly lacking. His builds require some faction grind in places, but they are realistic in that you don't need a drop from Callagadra in ultimate to make it work.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

The GD forums people are terrible and Zentai encourages their douchelike behavior. I don’t know about the guy I linked but I agree with his sentiment about the Official forums. I tried participating there and just couldn’t do it. Bunch of autistic fucking nerds that attack anyone with a different opinion, or questions. Not everyone there is like that but the cool people are drowned out by the potatoes.

• 1Like

Caeden

This game seems to have a fairly small community overall. Finding builds as starting points was terrible.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Lol at that, hadn't heard it. I tried two of his builds (meltycakes and the skelly necro) and found both great. Especially liking the skelly necro, got it near 70 now.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Found this build. I can level to it max, farm targetable gear and then farm end game gear. It's a conjurer that's a tanky dot based build. The creator of this build has been streaming the build SSF from scratch on hardcore and he's been rolling through the content without leveling gear. Damage is excellent, survivability is very good and it's a caster but plays like a melee build.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
ok, since the PoE's new league has bored the fuck out of me after just one day, I need a time sink. My question is Grim Dawn, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Divinity Orginal Sin 2 or something else in that genre? I need something that actually has a story to follow and something that doesn't require a bunch or 3rd party tools to enjoy

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Grim dawn is solid ARPG, I would probably rate it #2 behind PoE. Never played the others. You could also try Division 2 which is sort of like ARPG but 3rd person shooter and great leveling story and missions.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
ok, since the PoE's new league has bored the fuck out of me after just one day, I need a time sink. My question is Grim Dawn, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Divinity Orginal Sin 2 or something else in that genre? I need something that actually has a story to follow and something that doesn't require a bunch or 3rd party tools to enjoy

Grim Dawn's great if you like loot and arpgs. It has a story and it's very underrated, it has enough content to keep you occupied for 100s of hours if you enjoy it.

You will need a couple of 3rd party tools for quality of life in Grim Dawn, you don't need them as such, but they enhance the game a shitload as your stash is very limited and the default loot filters a bit shat.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

All of em

• 1Like