Grim Dawn

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I think I'll give GD a whirl then. Are DLC's must have? I only got the vanilla game as of now. For mods Grim Item Assistant for stash, Grim Internals for hp bars etc and Item Filter with colors seem to approve things a lot. As of now I'm not looking to mods that change the gameplay balance wise (much) or make things less grindy. I saw that mods that affect grinding/drop rates seem very popular.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think I'll give GD a whirl then. Are DLC's must have? I only got the vanilla game as of now. For mods Grim Item Assistant for stash, Grim Internals for hp bars etc and Item Filter with colors seem to approve things a lot. As of now I'm not looking to mods that change the gameplay balance wise (much) or make things less grindy. I saw that mods that affect grinding/drop rates seem very popular.
The DLCs are definitely very good, although you could just play through the base game first and see what's up, but the game improves a fair bit with expansion content, both for additional classes and just because the DLC content is harder and more fun as a result.

Item droprate stuff is popular because the base droprate isn't amazing, it's not horrible but there's like thousands of items so the odds of finding specific stuff for your build tends to be very low. It's a game that's more meant to be played over a fairly long period of time, where you level a bunch of different chars and farm various endgame sources to accumulate overall wealth(which is why stash size mods are basically necessary to even play imo) and THEN you can try fancy builds that rely entirely on item sets and stuff like that. It isn't like D3 where only stuff for your class drops so you can get your sets quickly and efficiently, and it isn't like poe where there's no sets and you can make most builds work with few or no uniques, there's quite a few things that don't work very well without the specific gear for it in GD. Still fun to do more standard builds though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
You should defiently give Grim Dawn a try if you're into ARPGs. The new season for D3 and PoE new league is out and I havent even bothered playing either of them.

Also just to add on to Pyros some items are targetable like the Dark Ones and Kriegs sets. I think the leveling set Lokarr is targetable too. But anyway you get those and then grind bosses until you get the items you need. Also there are faction grinds in the game for items and blueprints. I dont think it would take you months to max them out. I know the three witch cult factions can be leveled at the same time.

Pyros.... with Grim item assistant stash mod is it true that you can accidentally delete all your gear? I was afraid to install that mod.

Last edited:

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I've been reading up on stuff. It seems the game pace is a lot slower than in PoE. That suits me just fine.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I've been reading up on stuff. It seems the game pace is a lot slower than in PoE. That suits me just fine.

It's a lot slower which is neither good nor bad, just different. Killling takes longer but getting killed also takes more time so combat feels a bit less frenetic. The pace and the single player offline style are the two main things that are most different to PoE.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You should defiently give Grim Dawn a try if you're into ARPGs. The new season for D3 and PoE new league is out and I havent even bothered playing either of them.

Also just to add on to Pyros some items are targetable like the Dark Ones and Kriegs sets. I think the leveling set Lokarr is targetable too. But anyway you get those and then grind bosses until you get the items you need. Also there are faction grinds in the game for items and blueprints. I dont think it would take you months to max them out. I know the three witch cult factions can be leveled at the same time.

Pyros.... with Grim item assistant stash mod is it true that you can accidentally delete all your gear? I was afraid to install that mod.
The one I used, I forgot the name but it's the one that also lets you cheat if you want to, like full resets including base class and add items and what not, I used the cheats sparringly to fix shit I didn't care about like having to farm every rep and remember where every single stupid enchant and augment is sold and just instead dropped a bunch in the shared stash(they usually can't be put in the stash). It created backup files automatically so even if you fucked up something you could just load a backup. Can always make separate backups yourself too. I didn't run into any issue though and not entirely sure how you'd manage to delete everything, but maybe it was the other stash item that was simpler to use but had less features.

And yeah there's a few targetable sets but they only work for very specific builds, and farming them isn't that easy you need a fairly good character to begin with. Well Krieg is easy but Dark and Lokarr are fairly challenging. That's why Krieg is often recommended as a starter set using a Death Knight generic build where you then respec into Krieg DK specifically once you have farmed it. It takes quite a while to farm though, I think it took me 6 hours or something like that? Obviously it's RNG so could be more or less but it's not like that fast.

Then the generic sets are basically purely random so these are the ones that can take a stupid amount of time to farm. It helped with the Forgotten Gods set piece reroll thing, but that's costly as fuck(at least back when I played), so it's not the best solution either.

It's a great game if you think you'll play 200+ hours basically, and it's a good game if you just want to go through the story once, but if you're a bit inbetween it might be lacking since once you get to endgame there's not that much to do and it get repetitive pretty quickly but you don't gain stuff quickly so you have to go at it for a while. On the plus side, there's a lot of one-time loot(chests and shrines) which means every new character you get to max level will generate a ton of items the first time, so it heavily favors just rolling new stuff. I personally liked that aspect as I'm usually a reroll fiend but not for everyone I guess.

In a way the game is a bit like a rogue-lite, where you're improving your account as a whole rather than a specific character.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Actually six hours to farm a full set isnt that bad at all. Pyros let me ask you this about end game farming. (Btw anyone know how to tag someone using the forum?)
I know drops are 100% random so what is the I guess most efficient/easiet way to farm gear? I know they can be acquired through dungeon bosses and can you get sets through that event in the conclave area (forgot it's name) with the three witch factions where you do the timed dunegons? I'm guessing people will farm the easiest and fastest boss to get gear since it can drop off anyone of them?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Actually six hours to farm a full set isnt that bad at all. Pyros let me ask you this about end game farming. (Btw anyone know how to tag someone using the forum?)
I know drops are 100% random so what is the I guess most efficient/easiet way to farm gear? I know they can be acquired through dungeon bosses and can you get sets through that event in the conclave area (forgot it's name) with the three witch factions where you do the timed dunegons? I'm guessing people will farm the easiest and fastest boss to get gear since it can drop off anyone of them?

Just put @ in front of their user name Pyros Pyros Nola Nola

I’m not sure the fastest way but the portal thing in forgotten realms has a massive amount of drops. If I was purely farming it would be that. You can also transmog and transmute now to get new sets or items within the same set. That’s the best way to finish sets that I’ve found.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Just put @ in front of their user name Pyros Pyros Nola Nola

I’m not sure the fastest way but the portal thing in forgotten realms has a massive amount of drops. If I was purely farming it would be that. You can also transmog and transmute now to get new sets or items within the same set. That’s the best way to finish sets that I’ve found.
Hateyou Hateyou wait... you mean you can convert one set to another? Heh I never knew that. I guess I gotta stop re-rolling and stick with one character to max level so I can start farming. My highest one is level 61 and I keep finding interesting builds trying them out.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hateyou Hateyou wait... you mean you can convert one set to another? Heh I never knew that. I guess I gotta stop re-rolling and stick with one character to max level so I can start farming. My highest one is level 61 and I keep finding interesting builds trying them out.

Yep. Once you progress so far in FG one of the quest guys allows you to take a set item and you can either change it to an item in a different set, or change it to a different item within the same set. So if you end up with three helmets in a set you can reroll them to get the pants, boots, etc within the same set. It takes components so it’s not cheap to do but it’s the best way to finish out sets. It’s nearly impossible to finish a set by relying on drops alone unless you play for thousands of hours.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I mentionned that quickly but it's very expensive to do, so you need to spend some time farming. That said I haven't played since FG's release and they added a new dungeon in there so maybe it drops some of the rare materials you needed to do the recipe which would definitely help. It's still something for when you get dupes of a given set while also having most of it finished, so it's like after a lot of hours.

As for how to farm, I'm not sure what's the most optimal method now. The "rift" system thing was not so good back when I played but I assume they buffed it a lot, it is however fairly gear dependant so you need good gear to farm the higher floors to get the better loot.

They have these dungeons like steps of torment otherwise that they call "rogue" dungeons where if you die you can't re-enter until you close the session(go back to char select basically). They have one for each type of main monsters and are a good way to raise your negative reputation with these monsters(which leads to Nemesis special bosses to spawn, which you can farm for stuff too but also in general make it so this mob type spawns more heroes and champions so more loot). They're not too hard and reward some loot, the beast one also has a vendor that sells low lvl recipes which is great to get all the low lvl recipes in the game so whenever you open a shrine or whatever you don't get some lvl 23 shit you don't need. This is important because most(all?) endgame sets have one crafted piece from a high end recipe. The bosses in there also have unique rare loot which can be useful for some builds(and unique MIs too).

As I mentionned too just leveling a new character is actually quite profitable, especially if you keep all the one time chests in the highest difficulty to open them once you're... 84+? I forgot what's the lvl where all the last tier of stuff drops but basically at that point. It's definitely not the most efficient though but for me it was a good thing to mix up with normal grinding, I'd generally level a new char, open the chests, then do a full clear of all the rogue dungeons, then roll something else unless I liked the build then I'd farm a bit more.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
SR runs are by far the fastest way to gear up in GD. You don't even need to do anything super high to get loads of loot, you get shitloads of chests.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Every god has several movement skills, although they differ in how they move, some are not targeted but have lower range/higher cooldowns. Also iirc they can be dropped in your shared stash so you just need a char in each faction to get them all. You also get the better higher level versions from recipes which iirc aren't tied to faction.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Shattered Realms is the best loot/hour if you are already geared. Crucible as well but it seems less popular and I haven't bought that yet. On the first playthrough SR is pretty unforgiving as you need a good setup to tackle the higher tiers which is where the loot density is. I'm not a huge fan of it and once I got to SR60 I stopped and developed my own farming route that hits some random points for mats and the two remaining drops I need. Steps of Torment is probably the easiest way to garantee legendary drops before you've got a fully built character. Port Valbury and the one in Ugdenbog are sort of shitty, Bastion of Chaos is ok and Tomb of the Heretic is good but will be hard as hell unless you're already pretty geared out. It's almost exactly like D2 in a way. Get to end game then pick areas to farm for gear to make more characters to farm different or even the same areas. Pushing SR or crucible is a good challenge to test your build/skills that keeps scaling up so there is somewhat of a point to trying to make more powerful builds so theres at least that.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I made the mistake of using GrimTools to play at 2x speed to level a new char through the base game and now normal feels like molasses...

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Saw this drop and got excited cause I never seen it before and realized what it doesn't do.

hh.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users