Grim Dawn

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So we've had plenty of links for starter builds and such, but does anyone have some end-game builds? I'm talking the highest end, requires a bunch/full specific legendaries, sets etc and just destroys the game?
I'm currently leveling this conjurer build. It's high dps and is very tanking and kinda plays as a melee build.

It uses the Dark One set but you can use it to farm gear for other builds. After I get all the gear I need I plan on playing this build.

Or this one. Whichever I feel like doing next.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yeah I saw Eye of Reckoning is GD's Spin-to-Win, might give it a go as a next guy. I'm only just now bursting through Elite base game on my Necro (level 81). I did a full-clear of normal with all expacs since it was my first playthrough. Will do a full-clear again for Ultimate and I expect to be 100 long before I get to the end.

Really enjoying the necro/occultist Crunchybones build because it's all passive DPS and pretty damn strong.

• 1Like
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I saw Eye of Reckoning is GD's Spin-to-Win, might give it a go as a next guy. I'm only just now bursting through Elite base game on my Necro (level 81). I did a full-clear of normal with all expacs since it was my first playthrough. Will do a full-clear again for Ultimate and I expect to be 100 long before I get to the end.

Really enjoying the necro/occultist Crunchybones build because it's all passive DPS and pretty damn strong.
Yeah I may do the melee build too just for kicks and nostalgia. Imo the spinning type of attack is probably the most famous melee or skill in general in ARPGs. To me it's that skill that comes to mind when you think of ARPGs like whirlwind from Diablo and Cyclone from.

I'm currently level 61 in the Malmouth expansion. Not really a fan of the starting city, I like the concept but maneuvering through the city is a pain in the ass. Especially coming from the older zones. Gonna try to grind out to 100 and start farming the Dark Ones set and the Lokarrs leveling gear.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Diablo 2 whirlwind was very different than these modern ones.

You clicked a targeted area and spun to it without being able to stop.

These current ones, you can hold the mouse down and adjust on the fly.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kids these days with their new fangled spin to wins. We used to have to spin in one direction uphill in the snow

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Diablo 2 whirlwind was very different than these modern ones.

You clicked a targeted area and spun to it without being able to stop.

These current ones, you can hold the mouse down and adjust on the fly.
That's how Cyclone was in PoE until Legion and the melee rework(or maybe it was the league before), so only like last year. People fucking hated it cause it felt like shit and you had to keep your cursor close to your char to do minimal spins and shit. It was terrible and I assume if they could have done/had thought of the modern cyclone it'd be like that in D2 too.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Okay just finished Malmouth expansion and it was very lackluster. I'm currently level 61 in level 50 gear and steamrolling through the content. I started the Forgotten Gods expansion and all the gear that's dropping it's too high for me to equip. So will my gear become obsolete once I go further in FG content? I'm guessing I need to start over in elite so I can play catch up in gear or grind at normal level until I'm high enough to equip them?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Okay just finished Malmouth expansion and it was very lackluster. I'm currently level 61 in level 50 gear and steamrolling through the content. I started the Forgotten Gods expansion and all the gear that's dropping it's too high for me to equip. So will my gear become obsolete once I go further in FG content? I'm guessing I need to start over in elite so I can play catch up in gear or grind at normal level until I'm high enough to equip them?
The gear has "tiers", and while at low lvl the tiers are very close to each other, as you level up they get more spaced out so that happens. I forgot the exact tiers but it's something like 50, 68, 74, 82, 94 and 100, so when your level is "inbetween" you'll get gear from the next tier you can't equip for a while. You can continue in normal but difficulty might be too easy so you could start over in elite for more difficulty, up to you. FG scales all the way up to 100 on any difficulty iirc, but for example if you start in elite, the early main acts only scale up to, like 60 or 70 or whatever so you might outlvl them.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider

I usually skip FG until ultimate. Unlocking rep in the starting city is a good idea but other than that just move on to elite. You won't find it any harder anyway. Its the same for ultimate, even if you finish Malmouth in elite you can move to ultimate and you won't notice a difficulty increase. Unless you have something you want that you can target farm the best bet is just to get to 100 and then decide which areas you like farming and grind them.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
That's how Cyclone was in PoE until Legion and the melee rework(or maybe it was the league before), so only like last year. People fucking hated it cause it felt like shit and you had to keep your cursor close to your char to do minimal spins and shit. It was terrible and I assume if they could have done/had thought of the modern cyclone it'd be like that in D2 too.

Try playing D2 HC barb with all those curse spams in chaos sanctuary, iron maiden is an insta death

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The gear has "tiers", and while at low lvl the tiers are very close to each other, as you level up they get more spaced out so that happens. I forgot the exact tiers but it's something like 50, 68, 74, 82, 94 and 100, so when your level is "inbetween" you'll get gear from the next tier you can't equip for a while. You can continue in normal but difficulty might be too easy so you could start over in elite for more difficulty, up to you. FG scales all the way up to 100 on any difficulty iirc, but for example if you start in elite, the early main acts only scale up to, like 60 or 70 or whatever so you might outlvl them.
Okay it makes sense now why the lack of gear. I didn't realize gear was tiered like that with such a huge gap. I'm just going to go ahead finish elite and once I open up ultimate go from there.

I usually skip FG until ultimate. Unlocking rep in the starting city is a good idea but other than that just move on to elite. You won't find it any harder anyway. Its the same for ultimate, even if you finish Malmouth in elite you can move to ultimate and you won't notice a difficulty increase. Unless you have something you want that you can target farm the best bet is just to get to 100 and then decide which areas you like farming and grind them.
That seems like a plan hit 100 and start farming gear in ultimate. I read the wiki and all the good gear drops in ultimate anyhow. Even though Malmouth took me about 3 hours to complete on normal I would have still skipped it until the ultimate difficulty to start farming.

Holy shit the jump from normal to elite and not having capped resists make a huge difference. I'm getting chunked left and right popping pots to stay alive. The only thing that keeping me alive is I have so much life leech to help sustain me through the damage. I had to go back to town and switch out my gear for mainly green gear with resists and some of them not having my main damage stats on them. Going back to all greens made me cry but now I'm not dying or finding myself constantly popping potions to stay alive. I find it challenging to properly gear yourself with all these required resists the game has. The majority of the resists I was able to cap out but a few like and chaos still needs alot of work and I almost capped out aether.

resists.jpg

EDIT: I was able to cap out my chaos and aether with some components I wasn't aware that existed. The only thing that's not capped is stun and from what I was told in Grim Dawn discord don't worry about it now.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
On Sale at GOG for 80% off base game and 30% off DLCs (I think 30%, maybe was 40%). I grabbed the base game and monmouth and forgotten gods for $29 - didn't bother with crucible.

Grabbed this - thanks! Just played a little bit but definitely going to get my money’s worth, great feel to the game so far.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone aware of any mod that can show a Faction tracker on the screen?

I’ve never seen in that displays a constant overlay of that’s what you’re asking. I think faction moves so slowly in this game people haven’t bothered with that.

I did find this though. Haven’t tried it but looks pretty cool. I wish the devs would add nice stuff like this to the UIs so we did t have to mess with mods. I hate when they break sometimes during updates.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I finally made it to ultimate difficult and I'm at level 80. I didnt even bother with doing Malmouth on elite. First thing I noticed I took a HUGE resist hit. So i spent the next hour adding/removing components and hopping back on normal to check all the faction vendors to see what resists are available then going back to ultimate. It's really crazy how much of a survival difference maxing out your resists make. I didn't overcap cause you supposedly don't take a resist hit when doing the dungeons where the Dark Ones set drops and it's not really necessary for the campaign mode. I'll do that when I get the full set for SR and crucible. Apparently I'm going to have to do some or all of Malmouth expansion cause that's where the dunegon is located in that expansion area.

The build is doing better than I thought it would be. I can't wait to see how it runs in full Dark Ones set with the Nightbringer 2 hander mace which is all targetable gear. Since I got all the constellations I needed, switched to a 2 hander weapon and maxed out alot of my skills I'm doing crazy damage. Ultimate doesnt feel really that hard cause shit is dying quickly. Anyone starting the game I would strongly suggest playing this build. Its REALLY strong. Only time I have had issues on ultimate is when I activate a totem and I have 3 or more hero mobs on me at one time. My healing just couldnt out heal all the damage. I think once I max out Blood of Dregg which is a shit ton of damage mitigation through additional leeching and healing I should be okay.

I'll try to get to level 95 by Friday since I have to work everyday until further notice due to the virus. Hopefully get 5 levels a day if time permits me to. I'm gonna start the secret questline to enter the dunegon this weekend and then start farming from there on. After obtaining Dark Ones set then it's time to farm Krieg's and Lokarr's afterwards. Fun times again farming gear like in D2.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I finally made it to ultimate difficult and I'm at level 80. I didnt even bother with doing Malmouth on elite. First thing I noticed I took a HUGE resist hit. So i spent the next hour adding/removing components and hopping back on normal to check all the faction vendors to see what resists are available then going back to ultimate. It's really crazy how much of a survival difference maxing out your resists make. I didn't overcap cause you supposedly don't take a resist hit when doing the dungeons where the Dark Ones set drops and it's not really necessary for the campaign mode. I'll do that when I get the full set for SR and crucible. Apparently I'm going to have to do some or all of Malmouth expansion cause that's where the dunegon is located in that expansion area.

The build is doing better than I thought it would be. I can't wait to see how it runs in full Dark Ones set with the Nightbringer 2 hander mace which is all targetable gear. Since I got all the constellations I needed, switched to a 2 hander weapon and maxed out alot of my skills I'm doing crazy damage. Ultimate doesnt feel really that hard cause shit is dying quickly. Anyone starting the game I would strongly suggest playing this build. Its REALLY strong. Only time I have had issues on ultimate is when I activate a totem and I have 3 or more hero mobs on me at one time. My healing just couldnt out heal all the damage. I think once I max out Blood of Dregg which is a shit ton of damage mitigation through additional leeching and healing I should be okay.

I'll try to get to level 95 by Friday since I have to work everyday until further notice due to the virus. Hopefully get 5 levels a day if time permits me to. I'm gonna start the secret questline to enter the dunegon this weekend and then start farming from there on. After obtaining Dark Ones set then it's time to farm Krieg's and Lokarr's afterwards. Fun times again farming gear like in D2.
Ultimate is definitely a big hurdle in terms of resists right away and that's why a lot of people stay in elite for a long time/forever because it's a lot harder to gear up properly in ultimate. Also you won't see that too much early on but the monsters hit a lot harder even with capped resists, so once you get to harder content(act 4 and DLC areas) it'll start being pretty challenging on ultimate, although it depends on the build and stuff I guess, not too sure what balance is like atm since it's been a while since I last played. And yeah the Lokharr/Dark One area is very far into Malmouth content, you basically need to get to the big city, iirc you don't have to clear the whole thing but that's like the second half, have to do the whole forest stuff first.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

What's your build? I've been farming Ultimate on my Cabalist (also slowly going through expac content, about to finish AoM). Shit just wrecks so far and I only have 5 of my "BIS" items (per the build guide I followed).

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What's your build? I've been farming Ultimate on my Cabalist (also slowly going through expac content, about to finish AoM). Shit just wrecks so far and I only have 5 of my "BIS" items (per the build guide I followed).
Here is the build and guide. He streams almost every day during the morning hours. If I had a question about his build I just hopped on his twitch stream and asked.

Which cabalist guide you using? I have a level 59 one I need to finish one day.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Here is the build and guide. He streams almost every day during the morning hours. If I had a question about his build I just hopped on his twitch stream and asked.

Which cabalist guide you using? I have a level 59 one I need to finish one day.

It's kinda OP, making me feel like there wont be anything to try later because they'll all be weaker than this guy.

I'm still missing 3 of the 4 ideal set pieces plus 4 other of the ideal items and I still have no issues in ultimate. 12 skellies, hellhound, familiar, and blight fiend pets. When I find the blueprint for the relic I want that will add another pet.

• 2Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Also here is another guide by him showing how to effectively level alts quickly. There are faction and item requirements but I think it's worth it if you plan on leveling multiple characters in this game. I'm definitely going to be using this guide especially we have a stay home order and then everyone at my may get quarantined cause someone at my job may be positive for the corona virus.

• 2Like