Grim Dawn

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
Grim Dawn is godlike for the most part. The only bad part is there are no good boss fights really. Almost everything is just face tanking, almost zero mechanics whatsoever. And obviously the whole no multiplayer thing kinda blows. The thing is does the absolute best at tho is melee. My poison/acid witch hunter and cold/phys melee sorc/assassin(i forget name...spellblade or something I think?) were a ton of fun. The melee felt super good in general.

No multiplayer? I played 90% of this with my wife years ago...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea its peer to peer multiplayer, not server side persistent multiplayer.

Grim Dawn does basically everything better than any other ARPG. Damage Conversion, Melee, Class Trees and especially Retaliation. Its the only ARPG that has ever gotten "thorns" right.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Grim Dawn does basically everything better than any other ARPG. Damage Conversion, Melee, Class Trees and especially Retaliation. Its the only ARPG that has ever gotten "thorns" right.
My only gripe with the game is the bank size. Fucking complete failure imo. Stupid dev can’t organize his inventory so everyone has to have a small one. Just leave it the current size but put nameable tabs and it would have been amazing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Yup, loved my retaliation builds for when you feel like one handing shit and being lazy as possible. Though I will say I did enjoy PoE's talent tree a bit more at least in the earlier days before you had to put jewels and shit all over the place. I think GD could have put a bit more variety in the class trees.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
My only gripe with the game is the bank size. Fucking complete failure imo. Stupid dev can’t organize his inventory so everyone has to have a small one. Just leave it the current size but put nameable tabs and it would have been amazing.

you can mod this

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
you can mod this
Yeah, I just didn’t like that we had to. Making a game with a thousand unique items then restricting the bank is a terrible design imo. Everything else in the game had great designs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Yeah, I just didn’t like that we had to. Making a game with a thousand unique items then restricting the bank is a terrible design imo. Everything else in the game had great designs.

This is understandable but at the same time the fact that you can mod it to a searchable, offline database is also infinitely better than anything any other game has to offer.

Grim Dawn Item Assistant is better inventory management than anything else in any ARPG. Even if its a third party program.

But that's just the bane of ARPGs isn't it? Inventory management has always been a nightmare in every "stock" ARPG ever. And developers know this and use it to bleed money from their playerbase. I've probably spent more money on various ARPG's in the form of inventory upgrades than I have on any other game genre including box prices across all genres of games I've played.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
I obviously know nothing about programming but is it really that big of a deal to give players a very large or infinite stash? Especially in offline it seems like it wouldn't make any difference to the devs, but maybe I'm wrong.

• 1Like

Khane

I obviously know nothing about programming but is it really that big of a deal to give players a very large or infinite stash? Especially in offline it seems like it wouldn't make any difference to the devs, but maybe I'm wrong.

Read the last paragraph of my post. I am a developer, and have been for almost 20 years.

Also lol at "offline" these days. Even single player is online now and used to push players towards multiplayer and stash tab sales.

It's not entirely sinister, if a game is free to play the development team does need some way to generate revenue to pay the employees and continue development. The problem is it always goes beyond "nice conveniences" and into "the base stash is useless, you actually can't play this game for more than 4 days without upgrading"

In the case of PoE you can't even trade unless you upgrade your stashes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I agree with all that has been said here. Love GD and was a bit bummed when I heard their new game was not an ARPG. There are so many viable builds you can make in it, depending on class, but also unique items that can transform how a particular skill works.

I tried to play PoE but just never got far with it, but love their idea of a huge variety in league mechanics, and also (yeah, you have to pay or it but whatever) the ability to have your own private leagues with your own personolised league server settings.

If GD and PoE had a baby I'd be a happy puppy.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I should also point out a great website for those who like GD, in case any don't know of it: Grim Dawn Tools

The best parts are the map and checklist parts. In the map you can see all the hidden parts you could miss, and the Cecklist you can upload your save game to find any shrines, one shot chests and other things you have missed and where to find them.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Man, all this Grim Dawn talk, I think I'm going to have to fire it back up. Was playing a Death Knight of some sort, and I was working my way through the desert campaign, but never finished it.

It really is a fantastic game. One of the things that impressed me so much is just the music in the original game. Gave me the same type of vibes as the original Diablo / Diablo 2. It's a small thing, but then again it's not.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Man, all this Grim Dawn talk, I think I'm going to have to fire it back up. Was playing a Death Knight of some sort, and I was working my way through the desert campaign, but never finished it.

It really is a fantastic game. One of the things that impressed me so much is just the music in the original game. Gave me the same type of vibes as the original Diablo / Diablo 2. It's a small thing, but then again it's not.

The music is so good. It puts you into the world completely.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Goddammit, I'm gonna have to do a fresh playthrough as well. And its going to make me angry that its the best ARPG ever and literally no other upcoming ARPG is trying to steal from it.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Dev said hes doing Grim Dawn 2 after his frontier town builder thing

• 6Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users