Grim Dawn

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crazily

N00b
These are the same guys that made Titan Quest (when they were Iron Lore)...which was a very fun game. ARPG's aren't meant to be grinded forever like D3 is. I play through them a few times and then move on....which is what I am doing with PoE and what I did with Titan Quest.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hope they release more videos if they're entering alpha. The UI looks kinda shitty on their lastest screenshots so hope they improve that. I don't know about them going for a box price tag though, albeit a very cheap one. It's like TL2 I guess but PoE is free, wouldn't that hurt them since they're basically going to compete more or less directly with PoE(I guess different setting so there's that). Not that I mind just wondering why they didn't try for a F2P system.

Will probably buy it once beta starts anyway.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Titan Quest was and is an awesome game. It has a modding and online community that is still going strong. I still play TQ on and off and enjoy it far more than D3 or PoE. As a result I hope they do well with this game, although I'm a bit iffy with regards to the setting (some sort of Victorian/cybuerpunk age I think). Could be good, could be bad, time will tell. I do regret not having jumped on the Kickstarter when it was going, should have done that, especially considering I bought TQ for something lik $5 during a summer sale.

As for the UI, I remember from one of the dev vids from back during the Kickstarter they said they basically lifted the UI wholesale from TQ along with a bunch of other stuff just to get a working model. The plan then was to redo it along with most everything else with the KS funds. Hope they do. While the TQ interface was adequate for the time, it does need improvement.

Oh, and they totally need to steal this from Torchlight 2:

rrr_img_24976.jpg

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
TQ sucked balls, literally zero interesting skills, no randomly generated maps and you spammed the same 1-2 spells all game long with most of your skill points going into passives. D3 nailed the way skills are used really well, along with the combat. PoE has randomly generated maps, proper build and character development and the skill gems are rather interesting with the way it restricts your gear, and itemization is actually interesting with weird uniques, capped stats and requirements. D3 has only +GOODERER with almost zero defensive stats. PoE has the whole racing thing going on, which is something every hack n slash should rip off from now on, because it's the only thing that justifies always on singleplayer.

Yes, I finished it once, but that's only because whacking monsters is inherently fun, kinda like shooting guys. If you manage to make that shit boring you shouldn't be making games.

• 1WTF
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
TQ sucked balls, literally zero interesting skills, no randomly generated maps and you spammed the same 1-2 spells all game long with most of your skill points going into passives. D3 nailed the way skills are used really well, along with the combat. PoE has randomly generated maps, proper build and character development and the skill gems are rather interesting with the way it restricts your gear, and itemization is actually interesting with weird uniques, capped stats and requirements. D3 has only +GOODERER with almost zero defensive stats. PoE has the whole racing thing going on, which is something every hack n slash should rip off from now on, because it's the only thing that justifies always on singleplayer.

Yes, I finished it once, but that's only because whacking monsters is inherently fun, kinda like shooting guys. If you manage to make that shit boring you shouldn't be making games.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I loved Titan's Quest, and this was the first Kickstarter I ever contributed to. I didn't spring for alpha/beta access, but that's fine, because after Diablo III I'm overwhelmingly tired of playing a game through 400 times as part of the "experience." That's my current least favorite mechanic (I know it has been around since Diablo I at least, if not earlier...only started to really annoy me with D3 though). It turns a fun RPG into an MMO grindfest basically. So I'm glad I don't have early access, because I'd rather just play the finished game through once and enjoy it, and then if I really loved it I can play the next higher difficulty in a few months/year.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
Oooh. I've had a key for this sitting in my email since 2010. Now to figure out whether I bought into whatever tier allows me access to alpha/beta... well, once I get home at least.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Glad to see they're keeping TQ's atrociously ugly UI stylings. Come on guys, hire someone who doesn't suck at that!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I really liked TQ. The class combos were awesome. Gonna snag this. Love the Cyberpunk!!

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Checked out some gameplay vids, looks decent (even in pre-alpha), although, yeah the UI could use some updating. Will definitely give it a shot. Thought this was funny, from the about section: " the importance of salt as a weapon makes it far too valuable to waste on food". Interesting idea, but I guess the devs aren't aware that we require a minimum amount of it to live, and also as a preservative for food, not just flavor.
rolleyes.png

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here have access to this yet? Haven't heard much about this in a while. Anything newsworthy?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I bought the game a while back while I was bored. It's definitely pretty fun, but it's not a big budget game(like if I had to compare, animations and shit are similar to PoE, not D3). Also they had some guys leaving and RL shit or whatever the fuck and the developement had slowed to a crawl, but it picked back up, they released a new class. Sadly right now in terms of content, there's like only one act, if that's even the full act, so you can be done in 3-4hours or so, maybe more if you explore the map entirely. Can relvl a few different builds but since it's low level content you can't do full scale builds and shit.

Good thing is the setting is really nice, the class/progression system is similar to Titan Quest which is either good or bad depending on your tastes but I like it a lot(it has class skill trees but you can pick 2 classes so you can mix and match stuff) and the engine seems fairly solid, really like for example that you can rotate the camera however you like, so when you're going toward the bottom of the screen, you can instead turn it around so you progress towards the top(I hate going towards the bottom in these games).

If you're very bored you could pick it up, otherwise I'd wait until a bit more content is released. I was thinking about posting about the class release but since they didn't really add content I thought against it, will post again if they ever finish act1/release an act2 as at that point it'd most likely be worth buying.