Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The release of info that it'll be a lead in to Avengers 3 will help it at the box office for sure. I don't expect it to do 100 million opening, but 50 seems a low number given the juggernaut Marvel movies have become. 60-75 million seems reasonable.
yeah you're probably right. still, i just don't think this movie has the hook that the other Marvel films do, and if Hercules ends up being a big hit (big if) I can see this getting buried.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
What hook do the other Marvel films have that this doesn't? This movie will more than likely tie in to the cinemaverse they're creating with all their movies, has some pretty well known actors, seems pretty loyal to the comics, and from the previews some pretty awesome special effects. The only thing I could see that would be lacking would be a reference to the shitty S.H.I.E.L.D. show and who knows they might reference S.W.O.R.D. and S.H.I.E.L.D.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Until they royally fuck it up Marvel Studios can do no wrong with me and many friends, family, and people I talk to at work. Most of which are not comic book readers/fans at all.

It seriously depresses me thinking if Marvel Studios had the rights to X-men. God damn it would we be getting some GOOD X-men movies.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Or they might've focused on xmen and we would have never got the avengers movies!

Column_sl

shitlord
Like I said the I.P. now is Marvel since it's a story line that branches all the movies.
People see Marvel, and they go and watch it.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Until they royally fuck it up Marvel Studios can do no wrong with me and many friends, family, and people I talk to at work. Most of which are not comic book readers/fans at all.

It seriously depresses me thinking if Marvel Studios had the rights to X-men. God damn it would we be getting some GOOD X-men movies.
Same thing goes for Spider-Man and his connected villains.

I couldn't care less about the Fantastic Four though.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't really care for FF, but I didn't really care for Cap either. Good movies changed that.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Problem with Fantastic Four is that apparently that license also includes Silver Surfer. A Marvel-made Silver Surfer movie with Galactus would be ridiculously awesome.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I don't think the average movie fan associates the avengers franchise and shit like Ironman and Thor with Marvel. In fact, pretty sure if you asked most people to pick between Marvel or DC they would go "huh"?

Now I think Guardians of the Galaxy will do well. It will get plenty of hype, the trailer will be shown everywhere, etc. However, it isn't going to be because its brand name is Marvel.

Column_sl

shitlord
I don't think the average movie fan associates the avengers franchise and shit like Ironman and Thor with Marvel. In fact, pretty sure if you asked most people to pick between Marvel or DC they would go "huh"?

Now I think Guardians of the Galaxy will do well. It will get plenty of hype, the trailer will be shown everywhere, etc. However, it isn't going to be because its brand name is Marvel.
That's because you have the brain of a 2 year old.

Most profitable demo is 18-39 Caucasian, so your average movie goer is a young to middle aged adult.

rrr_img_64664.png

Every movie ,and TV show has Marvel branded all over it. You can't go into a convenience , or Grocery store in America without seeing Marvel merchandise everywhere.
Be like saying no one knew if The Lion King was made by Disney, or Warner brothers.

Guardians with out Marvel branded on it has an extremely low shot of making it.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Comparing Marvel to Disney or Warner Brothers is laughable.

I mean, I get it, you love comic books. Fine. However, no one is going to see this movie because its Marvel. They are going to see it because it will get shitloads of publicity and they will hear it is tied to the Avengers. Way more people think "Avengers franchise" than "Marvel franchise".

Been linked before, but
Monthly Rankings for Comic Book Sales
You are a niche of a niche.

Column_sl

shitlord
What does comic sales have anything to do with the Movies? Please explain that Genius.
Comics do not drive sales for the Movies you would have to be a fool to ever think that.

Marvel is a huge brand right now, you would have to be smoking crack to think otherwise.
The fact that almost all of its demo are young to middle aged white people makes it even more apparent.
You are a niche of a niche.
That Niche is the most profitable group of films of all times, and that's not even including other films outside of the MCU.

khalid

Unelected Mod
What does comic sales have anything to do with the Movies? Please explain that Genius.
The only people that have heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before now are comic fans, who are fucking tiny on the scale of things like blockbuster movies. Also, while the marvel movies are huge, people aren't going around talking about seeing the next Marvel movie. They talk about seeing the next superhero movie, or the next Ironman or Avenger movie. I have never in my life met anyone saying "Oh man, I can't wait to see the next Marvel movie".

Contrast that to Disney. You constantly hear people talking about wanting to see the next Disney movie. Which is why your comparison of Marvel to Disney is fucking laughable. The Marvel movies are a success, no question, but Marvel has nowhere near the brand recognition.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah you're probably right. still, i just don't think this movie has the hook that the other Marvel films do, and if Hercules ends up being a big hit (big if) I can see this getting buried.
I just have doubts that the Hercules flick ends up being that big, Rock or no Rock. I do agree this won't be as big as other Marvel films though.

Column_sl

shitlord
The only people that have heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before now are comic fans, who are fucking tiny on the scale of things like blockbuster movies.
And that is Exactly why branding it as a Marvel movie will make it profitable versus never even getting out of the gate.

. I have never in my life met anyone saying "Oh man, I can't wait to see the next Marvel movie".
That's a crackshot scientific method you have there sir. Lets base everything on your small world which probly includes you, and your 5 cats.

Column_sl

shitlord
I just have doubts that the Hercules flick ends up being that big, Rock or no Rock. I do agree this won't be as big as other Marvel films though.
Which Marvel films? because Hulk made 57 million opening weekend...

But to say it won't make 50 million is retarded. Anyway Keg will lose his Avatar, anyone else want in on the bet?

I'll make you all my bitches.