Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good post, because I imagine most folks are like me and know fuckall about them beyond bare surface stuff. I'm only familiar with them through the Annihilation Wave stuff.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Rocket Raccoon in the Marvel Heroes game sounds like he has an Australian accent. Whatever that is worth.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So for me personally its Dan Abnett's writing on Guardians of the Galaxy that kicks ass. If Bendis can ever stop making everything he writes a variation on Spiderman I might be more impressed.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
dan also did the authority before the merge, his team was solid.
I think I stopped reading after Morrison/Ha's few issues, not sure. I should re-read the first 2 volumes, but is it worth sticking with it beyond that?

edit: Hmm, going by the Wiki I also read the Authority: Prime thing at some point, didn't remember that.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Really, I guess I missed that and stopped reading Authority when Ellis left. I think Millar replaced him... who I basically loathe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
dans story was great, it was the wildstorm end, so they had the carrier crashed and dead, since the world is dead, cities are dead, so jack is in a wheelchair and dying, angies nanites are barely functioning, the doctor is gone, jenny blew up and the world is so tainted apollo has to orbit the sun or die. So it's just midnighter and swift corralling the rest of the world that's alive and not infected with some zombie disease into the carrier. with all this you see that midnighter can only signal apollo by using the last few tanks of hellium left and blow up some balloons hoping he'd see them.

his arc lasted a while... then someone else took over and it just seemed like a mad dash to "end" wildstorm so that it could merge with DC.

btw since we're mentioning authority (or rather i did) Planetary... now that's a story/superhero team.

fucker_sl

shitlord
i mean really, the reborn guardians with peter quill/mantis/phyla/drax/gamora/rocket and groot almost had a Serenity kind of feel to it, but this is all bleh.
rrr_img_40752.jpg
and that is what this movie is supposed to be....a marvel version of Serenity. GotG was always visioned as a group of outcasts and psychopaths in the comics.

I have no idea who the hell was the idiot who chose to put tony stark in them, because without Star Lord it's much worse

Hell, i still have to read how and why Drax is alive, considering he was incinerated by Thanos. I understand resurrections happend every week in marvel comics, but they usually they make the efford to give a reason for that. Drax? nope, he's just there and no reference to his death is made

i'm sure it's all a strategy move to use the Ironman current popularity (thanks to the movies) to boost GotG in preparation of this GotG movie

if you ignore the current GotG, and read them during Thanos Imperative.....personally i found them much better than 90% of mainsteam comics going around

Caliane

yeah. Annihilation wave, GotG vol2, to Thanos Imperative is basically the definitive GotG.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
and that is what this movie is supposed to be....a marvel version of Serenity. GotG was always visioned as a group of outcasts and psychopaths in the comics.

I have no idea who the hell was the idiot who chose to put tony stark in them, because without Star Lord it's much worse

Hell, i still have to read how and why Drax is alive, considering he was incinerated by Thanos. I understand resurrections happend every week in marvel comics, but they usually they make the efford to give a reason for that. Drax? nope, he's just there and no reference to his death is made

i'm sure it's all a strategy move to use the Ironman current popularity (thanks to the movies) to boost GotG in preparation of this GotG movie

if you ignore the current GotG, and read them during Thanos Imperative.....personally i found them much better than 90% of mainsteam comics going around
note: starlord is there, he's the blond guy... yea they changed him from a short haired black haired guy with cybernetic implants... to the current actor.

yes for those of us that read the 05 annihilation awesomeness, this is who we think of when we see peter quill/star lord
rrr_img_40781.jpg

i don't know why they changed him to some blond guy, i guess he has to be a pretty boy for the girls.

and yes they have to put iron man in the comics to let some of that iron man audience bleed into GotG, oh he also decides to sleep with gamora and pepper is long forgotten. (pepper was a forced relationship anyway for the movies, she was always supposed to be with Happy, jon favrau)

and drax is alive... because fck it, he's drax, that's literally the reason, it is totally unexplained same thing with starlord

this is what happend
rrr_img_40782.jpg

for many of us, we're like wow... they built up nova prime and starlord for 7 years only to kill them... not bad, i'll take it, it was probably the best story arcs marvel has ever had, and they bring him back, cause a raccoon can't be the leader.

Caliane

man. dont post spoilers in a thread, where people are clearly saying, "I have not read this material, what should I read?"

Hair color in comics is.... nebulous. Eye color is even worse. its rarely clearly stated in any script or design doc. And often flip flops. especially in older days.
Hawkeye's hair for example is red or blond. Different authors have shown different colors. Wiki says blond. I have been specifically asked to make him a redhead at times. Tieing into Jeremy Renner/movie? dunno.
rrr_img_40890.jpg

Peter was blond in the original comics though.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
To the contrary, if this does reasonably well I think this serves as a test and opens up a bunch of space related stuff, probably another cartoon, etc. All about how they execute, Green Lantern could have done the same for the DC cinematic universe.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Before the Thor and Captain America movies I'd have said Guardians of the Galaxy was a preposterous idea for a movie. Now, however, I'm willing to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt that they can pull this off.

That said, I won't be surprised if this fails horribly. Marvel has been on such an insane run of hit movies that they're about due for a collosal flop.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man. dont post spoilers in a thread, where people are clearly saying, "I have not read this material, what should I read?"
my bad i didn't know ppl wanted to know more?

i will skip guardians of the galaxy pre 2005, because they were shit, there were the west coast avengers or the mississippi avengers, just crap.

but i have to preface this with the whole "marvel event"

there were 2 super major stories going on mid 2000.
1. was the story at home
2. the story in space

1. you might have heard was about the civil-war, forced registration of super-heroes, then iron man (and govt) vs. capt america (and friends), in the end all it amounted to was some black guy died... no seriously (goliath).

this event is tiny, when compared to the galactic and i do mean galactic event that is happening in space.

richard rider, formerly of "the new warriors" and just a guy that flies and shoots beams, is back at his galactic police forces homeworld xandar, they are basically the green lantern corps. While richard rider (we'll call him nova) is not the lowliest guy, he does ok, and is just a mid 20's kid by now that does the usual stupid things and choices a 20ish year old makes (this is his character so far). remember xandar and the nova corps are like the "green lantern corps" they are the galaxys police force and like the green power battery that gives a tiny bit of power to every green lantern, the xandar worldmind, gives a little bit of power to every nova corps.

Then, the "annihilation wave", simply put nova is on a floating rock, that used to be xandar, the galactic police force is destroyed in 1 swoop, and now we see Nova's story.

why am i so focused on Nova? because through nova we see the formation of the GotG, we see the relationships Nova built up transferred to the GotG, Nova not only re-booted himself from Grade B whiny teenager to Better than Iron Man, by proxy he rebooted GotG from a sliced together team with no character to this iteration that has a history of teamwork and survival.

in that regard i'll post some amazon links

http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-B...ilation+marvel
http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-B...ref=pd_sim_b_1
http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-B...ref=pd_sim_b_1

i'm pretty sure this 3 book series contains

Drax The Destroyer: Earthfall
Annihilation: Nova
Annihilation: Silver Surfer
Annihilation: Super Skrull
Annihilation: Ronan
Thanos
Annihilation
Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus

(my nephew has borrowed my collection for years... it might as well just be his, i have no reference)

this is all prequel stuff up until this point, NOW we have GoTG volume 2 (again volume 1 was the dorky 70's to 90's version)
http://www.amazon.com/Guardians-Gala...y+%28vol.+2%29

that could be it for you, if you want you could still read more GotG, but... you'd have to know the "war of kings" storyline which i'll explain but is also HIGHLY! involved and involves the "3rd ###mers brother"
http://www.amazon.com/Guardians-Gala...ref=pd_sim_b_1

i don't know anyone that even likes GotG pre 2005, this movie is most def gonna be based and we see it, on the 2005 post annihilation team.