Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Apples and oranges, but Microsoft lost a lot more with the first Xbox and made two others!

Anyway, the problem with John Carter is that it aged very poorly. Reading the books today could be interesting as you can mentally put them back in the context of their time (first volume was written in 1911), but you can't do the same with a movie made in 2012 and, as a result, it's retarded unless you re-imagine the whole premise with a XXIst century mind (but then what's the point of using the IP?).
Uh, the book's premise holds up to this day. The problem stemmed from marketing and the film's budget. Although the movie really didn't do poorly at the box office, something simple as keeping "Mars" in the title would have worked wonders.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I dont know about you guys but this movie looks fun because it has a talking raccoon and a comedic lead.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you're going to spend more on marketing than James Cameron's Avatar you better be an established franchise, have Emma Watson naked, or be the most epic series starting adaptation ever.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Apples and oranges, but Microsoft lost a lot more with the first Xbox and made two others!

Anyway, the problem with John Carter is that it aged very poorly. Reading the books today could be interesting as you can mentally put them back in the context of their time (first volume was written in 1911), but you can't do the same with a movie made in 2012 and, as a result, it's retarded unless you re-imagine the whole premise with a XXIst century mind (but then what's the point of using the IP?).
The first XBox was an investment by Microsoft to gain entry into a marketplace with huge barriers to entry. John Carter was a steaming pile of shit with no redeeming qualities. I'm dumbfounded that you would try to make such a comparison.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

The first XBox was an investment by Microsoft to gain entry into a marketplace with huge barriers to entry. John Carter was a steaming pile of shit with no redeeming qualities. I'm dumbfounded that you would try to make such a comparison.

Szlia

John Carter adventures span several books, so producers could say: 'The first movie did not work that well, but reviews are not so bad and we established some visibility for the brand. Also, things will be smoother and cheaper for the next movie as a lot of designs, props, costumes, 3D assets are already made, so let's go!' I mean: Austin Powers, not that big of a hit, Austin Powers 2, blockbuster.

To go back to the main topic: Guardians of the Galaxy does not look like some strange mix of period piece and sci-fi with goofy looking aliens and the source material does not smell like formaldehyde.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
look dipshit, movies that dont make money dont get sequels. Its really that simple. holy fuck.

Column_sl

shitlord
Holy shit this looks awesome

id1Bow.gif

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Really hope this does well, have always liked a lot of the space stuff from Marvel, and yeah seeing Ronan, it's amazing. Be awesome to one day see Gladiator, Quasar, etc.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Avengers 3 is going to be Infinity Gauntlet Thanos, after GotG kick his ass in their movie. I love what Marvel is doing with their MASSIVE franchise.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I actually hope that they get their asses kicked in by Thanatos GotG at the end. :p That would be a great way to setup Avengers 3.

Column_sl

shitlord
Its Thanos not Thanatos =P. the guy with the Hammer is Ronan the Accuser, and The head is from a Celestial.

rrr_img_67083.jpg
rrr_img_67084.jpg

Took some screencaps for the trailer..

rrr_img_67085.jpg
rrr_img_67086.jpg
rrr_img_67087.jpg
rrr_img_67088.jpg