Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I agree with Malakriss that having a more interesting opponent is a strength. Loki and Hydra are well represented.

But I found Ronan annoying and devoid of depth. They were fleshing out the relationship between the Thanos's "daughters", but it seems like more effort should have been applied to Ronan. Alternatively, start with an antagonist that you do have the time to flesh out alongside the heroes' origin story.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NOOOOOO!

No origin stories! We got Ronan's motivation and him being a ruthless badass. That's enough. There's no need for Ronan to be a nerdy underdog scientist for the first half of the movie before he gets powers and vows revenge. He's a rad dude with a grudge that everyone is scared of, ORIGIN DONE.

Now, that's not to say he was a great villain like Loki or something. The character just isn't as interesting. We just don't need in-depth origin stories any more.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I agree. I don't like origin stories. But I have basically nothing to go on for him being a douchebag. Redford's Hydra had goals that some people are going to agree with. Loki had motivations that people could support. The military general and his mutated captain in The Hulk had a very redeemable desire to stop The Hulk. Thanos is allegedly just a huge dick and he gets served. I don't really buy it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanos is allegedly just a huge dick and he gets served. I don't really buy it.
You mean Ronan?

The movie explains the treaty between the Kree and Xandarians and Ronan tells you how he's not forgiving and forgetting shit. And people's reactions to him should let you know how the citizens of the galaxy view him. He's like a zealot that won't let long past transgressions go. This was all in the movie and spelled out pretty clearly and Christ knows it's believable that someone like that would exist.

It wouldn't have hurt if there was more to him in the movie, but it was over 2 hours as it was. We need a 3 hour director's cut LOTR style to fit in everything.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I meant Ronan. We should have had more dialogue on Ronan's part. The scenes where he is choosing who to send after Star Lord and where he meets with Thanos are not sufficient. Every other scene is just childish "scary black assault rifle" intimidation shit.

spronk

FPS noob
dang this is some hardcore cosplay
l6ytTz7.jpg

i guess I'm the only one who thought hydra in Cap America 2 was a terrible villain
frown.png
Loki definitely made the avengers though, Ronan was kinda in the middle. Not a great understanding of what makes him tick, but it was pretty easy to understand his "I want to kill everyone on this planet" motivation and follow through.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I do wish Marvel would give a little more attention and depth to their villains. You don't need to go all origin-story to get it right either. Look at the Joker in TDK, his origin story basically was that he had no origin story. Still the best comic-book-movie-villain we have gotten so far (imo). Loki is alright, but more of an antagonist than an actual villain. I'm hoping for the huge payoff with Thanos, but am worried it will be "we've shown you enough cut scenes so that you know he is a bad-guy and bad-ass, here is 1.5 hours of the Avengers trying to get over their differences to become a team again and 30 minutes of action."

khalid

Unelected Mod
I went into this movie expecting it to be pretty lame. While watching it, I felt like the plot was absurd, the characters were ridiculous (raccoon person, lame) and the villains motivation basically didn't exist.

Yet by the end, I was sucked in and fucking loved it. Great movie, can't wait for a sequel.

Krozman

N00b
Only really flimsy plot point that was apparent was a dude listening to Redbone walking onto a planet and just taking an infinity stone that was guarded by an easily picked lock and a shitty force field. Couldn't he steal it from something high security in a flair of outlaw awesomeness? Probably some purist comic book explanation I'm sure.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No one knew it was there, or what it was.

The Aether was just sitting under a rock.

Caliane

A bit of exposition could have explained it. They had plenty of chance to.
Possibly a deleted scene?

Artifact dealer on Xandar hired Yondu/pirates to steal the orb.
Ronan's goons show up seeming knowing about the orb right behind Quill.

So, either dealer and Ronan knew where it was, or Ronan's people did just follow him.
The sci-fi stuff Quill does at the beginning, looked like some magic CSI shit, recreating a visual of the civilization that was there before. wiped out by the stone?
did the dealer know where it was, or did the pirates do the work of finding it?

Quill didn't know what it was. But Ronan did. dealer didn't I guess, since he wanted nothing to do with it, when Ronan was mentioned.

Gamora had a contact with the collector. so she knew what it was, and who to bring it to.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Civilization will turn out to be his dad's and only someone of that bloodline can take the orb from the case or some goofy shit. probably won't even be mentioned again.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ronin
Ronin was of an old school way of thinking and greatly disliked how everywhere the culture is literally the reverse of his. He's like a follower of Rallos Zek meets the 7th Hammer.
When I mistook the Nova Corps as peaceful lawmen that fought through nonlethal means, I also interpreted the world they were on as being the pinnacle of that 'defensive' lifestyle and thus an abomination to Ronin's eyes and feels. Their involvement in politically pacifying the Kree, Ronin's race, albeit limited treaty, was too much to handle and the final straw.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The sci-fi stuff Quill does at the beginning, looked like some magic CSI shit, recreating a visual of the civilization that was there before. wiped out by the stone?
Shit, I forgot about that. WTF was that? At the time, I thought he was like phase shifted in time or some shit like that in order to bypass whatever security they had.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This is funny, The Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mixtape Vol. 1 topped the US Billboard chart this week, becoming the first soundtrack comprised entirely of previously released songs to reach the No 1 spot.

It's still doing pretty good at the box office this week, it will hit $200M friday, it might very well end up being the biggest movie of the year at this pace in NA as it's ahead of Transformer now for same number of days.

I might go see it again, haven't done that in a very long time...seeing a movie twice in the theater.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yeah GotG is the first movie this year that people (including me) seem to not mind seeing a second time.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So what?s the deal with the Kree. Are they all superpowered? I don?t know if get the power differential between Ronan vs Yondu. Ronin seemed to be cosmic powered or did he just have hot technology and an army of followers? Did Thanos juice him up ?

Ronan seems huge in this pic compared to some other kree.

Kree.jpg