Guild Wars 2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems there's quite a shitstorm going on reddit and the official forums about the pricing and the base game being included. I'm not sure how they thought selling the base game at a discount right after they announced the expansion even though it wasn't necessary to play the expansion was a good idea. Also 50bucks sounds awfully expensive for what they've shown so far. I might still pick it up eventually but meh.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Price is high, no arguing from me there. In all honesty, with FFXIV expansion to be played and some single player stuff I'm picking up from Steam sales, GW2:HoT can go suck a bag of dicks for a while. I fucking love the game, but 50 is way too much for a half blind purchase.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I was looking forward to the expansion, but I won't buy it for that price, especially since there is no character slot included which is the biggest turn-off for me. Anet is fully aware that people still playing the game have plenty of characters; asking 50 dollar for an expansion which includes a new class and then trying to have you pay another 10 so you can actually create the character is a cheap cashgrab and a big departure of how they handled expansions in the past.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Haha that video was great!

$50 is lame. I'm such a casual I'm not worried about character slots, but and expansion for $50? No way. $29.99 sure.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
50 would be okay with a character slot.

Without one, it's basically a joke.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Ascended weapons and armor getting stat changes for a fee, legendaries can change for free as usual.

Just want to clarify since I saw this come up a couple of times in this thread and we haven't actually released our full official patch notes for 6/23 yet..

Ascended Gear will be staying 5% better than Exotic Gear. Gear beyond the tiers we already have are not going to be added and our existing tiers won't change, they won't be our main end-game form of progression for your characters/account for all the reasons we've covered before - it isn't what we think Gw2 is about.

Masteries is being added to PvE to help provide this system as our form of progression for PvE moving forward, and the WvW ability system exists for WvW and will be what we use to expand WvW in the future.

To more directly answer some of your point..We are adding a system that lets you change the stats for your ascended gear (weapons and armor) next Tuesday - which will cost a combination of10 spirit shards, piece you don't want anymore, 5 ectos, and an exotic insignia of the stats you want to convert to. Legendary Gear will remain the gear that can freely change stats any time.

-CJ

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Not trying to defend Arena Net or anything, but isn't 50 more or less the usual price for MMO expansions?

This is the first time I am seeing such an outcry at the price of an expansion. I haven't followed it much, so is it a small expansion and short on content?

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Not trying to defend Arena Net or anything, but isn't 50 more or less the usual price for MMO expansions?
This is the first time I am seeing such an outcry at the price of an expansion. I haven't followed it much, so is it a small expansion and short on content?
There's a few things wrong with the pricing.

$50 is what the price they set for the expansion, ok that's fine, wow expansion was $60 I believe and they had upgraded all existing accounts to have all previous expansion. FFXIV is $40 for standard expansion edition, $60 for expansion and core collectors, and preorder bonuses to either not separate packages.FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward

Here are the things that went wrong with it.
1. They decided to include the core game in that pricing, which sells for $5-40, depending on when and where you get it, more recently anet decided to do $10 sales themselves saying you will need the core game anyways to play the expansion. If you were going to include the free core game in the expansion why the fuck would go around telling people you need the core game, offer them the discount, and then turn around and include it in the package anyways? That just comes off as a money grab. I feel bad for the people who bought it in the last month in anticipation of the expansion, they're not even going to get refunded properly, anet is saying if you want the refund your current account will be closed and you will need to use the new codes to open another account. Because they included the core game, and the recent sales, people have it in their minds that the expansion really should have been worth $40.

2. No character slot on the basic package, the $75 $100 packages have them included, if you're going to introduce a new class add a character slot to all packages, you don't nickle and dime on that shit, they don't mind throwing in the $10 core game for free, but won't throw in a $10 character slot for the same price?

3. No release date, slim information on what content you're going to get because they like to pretend they're the CIA, is it even worth $50?

They should have left it simple, keep selling the core for $10, announce the packages for the expansion:
$50 for expansion only, extra character slot.
$60 on new accounts, expansion and core, don't need extra slot. Put it back to $50 at release if you want.
$75 $100 the junk collectors editions.
Include the core game later on when the expansion actually releases if you really want it at $50, the $10 difference you can say was for the beta access(which is also a joke).

Anet has no concept on rewarding play or rewarding loyal customers, and their marketing team is terrible, most other companies put up pricing plans much like FFXIV did, was it really that hard to copy that?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .

I paid $60 for the WoD expansion plus around 3 months of sub time so while I wish it was a bit cheaper I don't think $50 for an expansion of a sub-less game is really that bad.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
GW1 and GW2 have always been a "box cost" type financial plan. They don't charge subs and their market place has some stuff but all just cosmetic minor things and their main funding is people buying the box for the game and boxes for expansions. I don't know why anybody is terribly surprised by the price. I think it would have been nice if the base level gave you an extra character slot but in the grand scheme of things thats pretty minor and if you have enough characters made to fill your slots you probably have or can use your cash to buy some gems to by a new character slot unlock.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
My biggest issue is that they have shown 1 zone so far, or like 20$ worth of content. I was pumped for the expansion, but the way they dripfeed this shit with musical chairs of all the existing systems is really souring me up. So, yeah announcing 50$ pricetag without even telling me what am I paying for is pretty bad. Look at how WoW expansions are marketed: 10 zones, +10 max level, new class, fight this big baddie, We out!

HotS has been marketed with: So yeah, you fight this giant dragon, who is like all plants and shit, remember that one you killed 2 years ago when you hit 80 in an instance by spamming 1 and 2 ? Yeah, just like that! We are also adding new zones that are going to be awesome, all vertical, but we can't you show you that yet. We also don't know how many of them will be there. Then there's also this new class, but you need to buy an extra character slot... Then we promise we will have this supercool mastery system, but we can't tell you what it's exactly going to be ...

I bought the game at release and got my money's worth, so I'm not bitter over them including the base game, but they seriously have a pricing issue here. Maybe if they also announced something about post launch support with a roadmap more than a year down the line, it might be easier to swallow.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Of course, I just bought 300g worth of damask last night.
I had 60 of them and I was hoarding those since I got my ascended gear. I sold almost all of those to get a poly luminescent black jewel after Halloween.

I don't really know about their price. It might go down of obvious reason OR it could stay/go up cause of the 80 % of the population that didn't wanted to waste on ascended gear and will now be tempted after the change.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
You guys played the game for 3 years without a sub with content updates and you're bitching about beingbeing loyal?
Ssh.
smile.png

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
You guys played the game for 3 years without a sub with content updates and you're bitching about beingbeing loyal?
I've never seen a demographic gripe about $ more than MMO players. I impulse bought burrito materials last night which cost me $20, the difference people are griping about. I suspect, were I a GW2 player, I'd get more enjoyment out of their expansion than I did out of my burritos.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The average GW2 player spends more money on the game than they would for any other sub based mmo out there and Anet is expanding the gemstore on a almost weekly basis. Just because you don't have a sub fee for your game doesn't mean you can jack up the prices for expansions (while including less than you did for your previous game) and expect people to love you for it.