Guild Wars 2

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished the story, I enjoyed it.

Still have to get zone completion on the last zone, and start on my griffon.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Having a hard time settling on what class to play...annnnd figuring out all the changes since I last played.

Make character > full clear first zone > decided character not deep enough (right or wrong) > delete character

Done this loop a few times now.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
You can't really decide until you had a chance to play the character to 80 and unlocked both extra specs, not to mention PvP/WvW/PvE/Fractals... Besides unless you are hurting for character slots, deleting your characters is always a stupid idea, since you get birthday rewards per character like dyes and skins.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Having a hard time settling on what class to play...annnnd figuring out all the changes since I last played.

Make character > full clear first zone > decided character not deep enough (right or wrong) > delete character

Done this loop a few times now.

Do you not have an 80 boost? You can revert it anytime you want and swap around so you can fully experience it. Mesmer is by far the most complicated to play, give it a shot.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Finally got the griffon, collecting the books in the sanctuary was the biggesst pain in the ass, since the elites have the random abilities like bounty targets, so here and there they will just shit all over you and since they hit so hard, I was waiting for my elite to go back up even. Boooooring.

And now to farm up 2M xp.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Do you not have an 80 boost? You can revert it anytime you want and swap around so you can fully experience it. Mesmer is by far the most complicated to play, give it a shot.

I just bought the expansions last night and didn't realize the 80 boost had trial periods.

I have 3 80's from launch era (Mesmer, Necro, Rogue).

Unfortunately it looks like trials don't include any of the new specializations, correct?

Hekotat

I just bought the expansions last night and didn't realize the 80 boost had trial periods.

I have 3 80's from launch era (Mesmer, Necro, Rogue).

Unfortunately it looks like trials don't include any of the new specializations, correct?

Correct, you have to unlock them with Hero Points. If you have enough banked you can unlock them all.

Hekotat

Let me rephrase....

You'll unlock the new spec once you beat the first story area but you won't have any of the talents.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Let me rephrase....

You'll unlock the new spec once you beat the first story area but you won't have any of the talents.
If you have enough hero points banked, you can unlock the moment you hit 80, in theory. Both HoT and PoF give you 10 points per HP, so it goes a bit faster than your basic spec, some in HoT require a least 3 people, but if you do it with enough alts, you will figure out a route to do most of the soloable ones. All in PoF can be solo'd and there's like 50 more than you need to unlock your spec.

It's a bit backwards that your shiny new spec is inferior until you get about halfway through and unlock all the levels of traits, but the game isn't that difficult to play anyway.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you have enough hero points banked, you can unlock the moment you hit 80, in theory. Both HoT and PoF give you 10 points per HP, so it goes a bit faster than your basic spec, some in HoT require a least 3 people, but if you do it with enough alts, you will figure out a route to do most of the soloable ones. All in PoF can be solo'd and there's like 50 more than you need to unlock your spec.

It's a bit backwards that your shiny new spec is inferior until you get about halfway through and unlock all the levels of traits, but the game isn't that difficult to play anyway.

WvW gives you Proofs of Heroics, I think after each level. You can use those to buy hero points. They are stored in your coin inventory.

A lot of people don't realize those exist. A friend of mine who plays a ton of WvW was bitching about having to get hero points for his alts. I asked if he'd used up all of his Proofs already and he didn't even know what they were for. He had over 1000.

• 1Worf

Hekotat

There is a shitload of items in this game that you can really fuck yourself over by using them incorrectly, because the game isn't clear on what to do with them.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There is a shitload of items in this game that you can really fuck yourself over by using them incorrectly, because the game isn't clear on what to do with them.
Mystic coins went from 50c trash at launch to unicorn tears now.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Just started playing this last week. What a gem of a game.

I've already fallen in love with it and definitely recommend people try it - if they haven't already. Even with limited time, i'm enjoying the experience and i'm playing it mostly as a single player game.

I've bought both expansions, but tbh the f2p model didn't seem too bad.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Just started playing this last week. What a gem of a game.

I've already fallen in love with it and definitely recommend people try it - if they haven't already. Even with limited time, i'm enjoying the experience and i'm playing it mostly as a single player game.

I've bought both expansions, but tbh the f2p model didn't seem too bad.
The world is honestly brilliant and the exploration aspect makes Blizzard look like chumps. The big issue is that long term goals turn into daily grinds, even though Anet insists that there is "zero grinding", but it seems like PoF reduced that a lot. I have been playing the shit out of HoT for almost 2 months and I'm still nowhere clsoe to maxing out the masteries.

The F2P model is decent, even though any kind of QoL is pretty pricey, once you start moving through endgame or want to make multiple characters, I'd argue it becomes almost necessary.

Whoever designed the dwarven town in Desert Highlands needs a fucking medal, one of the best puzzles and exploration places in the game. First time through I just did the easy HP/WP/PoI for map completion, second time I realized the place is about thrice bigger than I thought. There's even a tunnel that connects it to the waterfall in the south !

• 1Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
The world is honestly brilliant and the exploration aspect makes Blizzard look like chumps. The big issue is that long term goals turn into daily grinds, even though Anet insists that there is "zero grinding", but it seems like PoF reduced that a lot. I have been playing the shit out of HoT for almost 2 months and I'm still nowhere clsoe to maxing out the masteries.

The F2P model is decent, even though any kind of QoL is pretty pricey, once you start moving through endgame or want to make multiple characters, I'd argue it becomes almost necessary.

Whoever designed the dwarven town in Desert Highlands needs a fucking medal, one of the best puzzles and exploration places in the game. First time through I just did the easy HP/WP/PoI for map completion, second time I realized the place is about thrice bigger than I thought. There's even a tunnel that connects it to the waterfall in the south !

Last night i did the Lion's Arch pirate puzzle thing. I randomly stumbled upon it when discovering a vista. I was like: Wtf is thiiiissss??

Hadn't had a surpise like that since discovering the tunnels that link Neriak Commons to Third Gate! :D

• 1Like

Hekotat

Last night i did the Lion's Arch pirate puzzle thing. I randomly stumbled upon it when discovering a vista. I was like: Wtf is thiiiissss??

Hadn't had a surpise like that since discovering the tunnels that link Neriak Commons to Third Gate! :D

That is what sold me on the game in Vanilla when I found it, I love exploring and finding hidden things and this game is amazing in that aspect. Wait til you try and do the other jump puzzle in LA, it took me a full day to complete it without cheating.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
LOL, Fuck those jumping puzzles. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I have serious fear of heights in RL, and sadly it translate into some games.

I'm actually fine when flying or gliding, but when it's about walking on ledges or jumping on pillars and stuff it totally kicks in. So most of the jumping puzzles totally drain me, I finish them and I'm sweating, and totally exhausted. :)

I still enjoy doing them but wish it didn't trigger my fear of heights like this.

I'll reiterate what people have said though...exploration in GW2 is one of the high point of the game. As it is I do them when I encounter them, but I don't actively go looking for them.

• 1Solidarity

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
LOL, Fuck those jumping puzzles. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I have serious fear of heights in RL, and sadly it translate into some games.

I'm actually fine when flying or gliding, but when it's about walking on ledges or jumping on pillars and stuff it totally kicks in. So most of the jumping puzzles totally drain me, I finish them and I'm sweating, and totally exhausted. :)

I still enjoy doing them but wish it didn't trigger my fear of heights like this.

I'll reiterate what people have said though...exploration in GW2 is one of the high point of the game. As it is I do them when I encounter them, but I don't actively go looking for them.
The LA is a plain bitch to do, I looked up the solution and CBA. Then there are the ones like (aptly named) Chalice of Tears, which murders you for failing, is excessively long and there mobs around to fuck you over, so I hate them too. Then there's the tower in Siren's Landing, which is really long, difficult, but you are mostly clear on where to go and gain a whole new perspective on the zone when you get to the top. Those are absolutely awesome.

Gliding fixed most of the problems of plummeting to your death, now you mostly just reset to an earlier point.