Guild Wars 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I just came back after 6-7 years off. I was hardcore WvW with my guild (Os) When I left I had the most WvW kills on NSP with 140K. I did very little PvE. I did map completion a few times for my legendary.(Eternity and Bolt)

I hated the HoT expansion but long story short I'm mind blown by the Path of fire and season 4 story so far. I'm having a blast.
Why did you hate HoT? The verticality of the maps?

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Just got the $50 package and downloading this, never played before, any tips for noobs?

The Vanilla game/maps were designed more as a living, breathing world where the intention was to take things slow, explore, and enjoy everything as if you’re part of the world as opposed to trying to blitz through maps with the intention of leveling to get to the “end game” maps. For example, there are some shrines scattered around where if you /kneel before them, you might get blessed with a buff or spawn an event/champion. Sometimes picking up random things and interacting with random things can spawn events or open up portals. NPC dialog is written deliberately in the sense that if you listen to it, you can be warned of dangers out ahead, given backstory/lore, sometimes spawn an event/event chain, or even as amusement:

If you explore and relax through the vanilla maps you’ll most likely enjoy them, especially if you use them as a means to learn classes and figure out what weapon and trait combos you like best. The two expansions so far, HoT and PoF, offer a more “traditional MMO” experience. The lower level maps also scale you down in both levels and stats so you won’t be wildly overpowered and risk out leveling the starter maps.

”Dungeons“ were abandoned early on because of how glitchy and badly coded they were and were eventually replaced by “Fractals“, which is considered the group content endgame. Although Dungeons are still in the game and you can still find groups for them and you’ll get prompts from leveling up to go check them out, don’t feel like you’re missing out by not doing them.

The community is generally great if they know you’re a new player or someone who hasn’t done something before but there also is a large section of the population who is insanely lazy and bad that others tend to lash out at, but generally this isn’t really something you have to worry about until “endgame” where you start to dip your feet into Fractals or Raids.

/Wiki in game opens up your outside browser and you can usually /wiki “name” to look something up. The Wiki for GW2 is actually in-depth.
For guides on things like achievements I like to youtube AyinMaiden.
MetaBattle.com and SnowCrows.com are good websites to look up meta builds or look at some dps benchmarks and spell rotations.
You can join up to 5 guilds at a time and benefits for joining a guild include Guild Halls where you can take advantage of Guild Buffs (Only one active at a time). Theres no penalty or stigma for leaving guilds either so don’t be afraid to drop guilds at a dime if you feel like it.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got the $50 package and downloading this, never played before, any tips for noobs?

If you care about story stuff, the base game story is not good. It gets much better in later expansions and episodes.

Don't worry about getting the best gear (ascended, legendary, etc). Max level gold gear from the auction house is almost as good, and not nearly as expensive or time consuming to get.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Played for about 6 hrs today while "working" and its pretty fun. Going to try some other classes, I rolled a Guardian first. Gonna try Ranger next. See waht class I jive with best for the full leveling.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I think it has one of the most engaging combat of any MMO. I think that Hades somewhat feel like GW2 on warrior.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I may give this another casual spin once the expansion hits in between Endwalker.
How are Mesmers, specifically Chronomancer or Mirage? That looked like a fun class to play last time I looked.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
It's one of the most unique class in the game. I don't think there are equivalent in other MMO. Necro are currently OP.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Played for about 6 hrs today while "working" and its pretty fun. Going to try some other classes, I rolled a Guardian first. Gonna try Ranger next. See waht class I jive with best for the full leveling.
Keep in mind that at 80 you can spec to Elite Professions which completely change the gameplay of a profession. I didn't care for Guardian, for example, but their elite Firebrand is fun (and powerful) as hell.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It's one of the most unique class in the game. I don't think there are equivalent in other MMO. Necro are currently OP.
And Condi Renegade is ridiculous. I've tried Condi Scourge but found the Renegade gameplay more engaging. Speaking of open world builds. PVP I'm sure is completely different.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I may give this another casual spin once the expansion hits in between Endwalker.
How are Mesmers, specifically Chronomancer or Mirage? That looked like a fun class to play last time I looked.
I think if you want to do any open world content solo your best choices are necro (condi scourge build) and revenant (condi renegade). Like I mentioned above, the revenant I found more fun. But that's a matter of taste and style of course.

I have a level 80 of every profession. It's very easy to bring other professions to max level with all the exp boosters and free levels thrown at you over the course of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is thief still shit? Last time I played they shoved the dagger/dagger condi build down everyone's throat.

Also is weaver still just basically a ticking timb bomb to die to every single little aoe the mob throws out, as a necro is outparsing you in the open world; and just standing in everything not caring?

Also cantha hype.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Also I agree with the sentiment of the heart of thorns maps i'm seeing, the maps took me about three months of constantly playing through them and playing the map events to get completion because it was such a disaster. I think most of it was nerfed pretty hard, to where it was easier. I know with living world season 3 they also ton of mastery points to make it easier, but before it was a nightmare having to get one singular mastery point from a mini game to be able to advance gliding to get to the next mastery point to unlock the next mastery point.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Also I agree with the sentiment of the heart of thorns maps i'm seeing, the maps took me about three months of constantly playing through them and playing the map events to get completion because it was such a disaster. I think most of it was nerfed pretty hard, to where it was easier. I know with living world season 3 they also ton of mastery points to make it easier, but before it was a nightmare having to get one singular mastery point from a mini game to be able to advance gliding to get to the next mastery point to unlock the next mastery point.

Those plant dickheads with the hammer used to stomp your shit out in those narrow hallways.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
This is how i spend most of my time in gw2 and i don't know why so many people say weaver is fragile. I do feel like i have to work hard for moderate dps tho

Let me know how you feel after you do some T3 - T4 fractals, Raids, or Strikes as an Ele.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Let me know how you feel after you do some T3 - T4 fractals, Raids, or Strikes as an Ele.
i don't know why so many people say weaver is fragile. I do feel like i have to work hard for moderate dps tho.

Condi eles in the harder PvE content have to spec Vipers in order to really satisfy their role as DPS, which drops their survivability significantly.

vs

I get why people trying to put up these numbers:

Are getting killed easily, but not running trailblazers or similar like I am and having a similar spec to the above post. In just about every encounter I can jump in and start busting up mobs without much risk but I'm not hitting 30+k DPS.

Last edited: