Guild Wars 2

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah my plan was to come roll a new class based on the current flavor of the month/year but I just can't get excited about playing anything other than my only character, the elementalist. When I played before the elementalist was one of the least played classes and everyone shat on them but I enjoyed them and felt pretty strong, so I don't know. But the new spec is, well, a disappointment.

They made it the most fragile glass cannon I've ever seen which is hilarious for a melee class in GW2. I've started tinkering with different variants to try and increase survivability while not gimping myself too much. The class playstyle is quite fun but you die almost instantly if you have more than 2 mobs on you when a weaver can just beat the dog shit out of about 10 mobs as long as you're paying attention.

If I get something working I'll post it here for other to try but I can't seem to find where to create builds on Metabattle anymore, I'm guessing they moved it behind a paywall which is a shitty move on their part.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The old world personal story stuff is just dated. Having to constantly stop and go clear hearts and shit, then pick up the personal story for a quest or two and then go do some more hearts etc. to continue the story is just really shitty. Im really surprised that they havent revamped the old world to make leveling quicker. If they steered new characters through the quests to get the glider and the mounts etc. first - then the game would be a lot more enjoyable to newcomers.
I remember really enjoying the base game when it first came out, but so much has changed in the game and in mmo's in general since then. A few months ago went back to get world completion on another toon for more Gifts of Exploration (needed to make gen1 legendary weapons). It was a chore even with the Skyscale and full ascended / legendaries.

Still enjoyed some of it, but that might have been nostalgia. Lot of memories in those old zones.

I prefered some of the leveling routes better than others. Before level boosts came out, would usually move my alts over to Norn or Charr areas and level up there. Just like those zones more than the human zones. Some of the rat / asura zones are ok but others are just not fun.

I really liked leveling up in WvW back then too. Low level toons in WvW had a massive boost to keep them viable against level 80 players. It was very OP. You would have just a couple of skills at level 10 and would destroy people. Was a lot of fun. They nerfed that though.

Hekotat

I remember really enjoying the base game when it first came out, but so much has changed in the game and in mmo's in general since then. A few months ago went back to get world completion on another toon for more Gifts of Exploration (needed to make gen1 legendary weapons). It was a chore even with the Skyscale and full ascended / legendaries.

Still enjoyed some of it, but that might have been nostalgia. Lot of memories in those old zones.

I prefered some of the leveling routes better than others. Before level boosts came out, would usually move my alts over to Norn or Charr areas and level up there. Just like those zones more than the human zones. Some of the rat / asura zones are ok but others are just not fun.

I really liked leveling up in WvW back then too. Low level toons in WvW had a massive boost to keep them viable against level 80 players. It was very OP. You would have just a couple of skills at level 10 and would destroy people. Was a lot of fun. They nerfed that though.

The zones are great, there's just no danger in the old world and it becomes really obvious when you step into the expansions.

As for the unlocks/achievements they are absolutely brutal in this game and if you don't take them in increments you'll get bored to tears following guides trying to get stuff done. I recommend most try to have fun and knock out an achievement or two per play session. Try some dungeons, fractals, meta event chains or explore. Whatever makes the game fun for you. If you focus on trying to get a Skyscale or Legendary only you're going to quit in a week.

Hekotat

This appears to be a good balance, still messing around but this is the best Catalyst build I've found for survivability so far.

Gw2-64_QviAElO2xo.png

Gw2-64_CGR7CA9ey8.png

Gw2-64_ZvSct8GdgP.png

Hekotat

Switching to the Superior rune of the Scholar on that build above creates the perfect balance of DPS and Survivability. I was able to take on an Elite and it's adds with just the perfect amount of challenge. You just have to stay on top of your healing skills as well as your attack heals.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Running a Celestial Firebrand currently. Kind of late to the party on this build, but man it's fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So how representative of the game's current powerbalance is the latest entry in this chart?

In other words, is Mechanist OP AF with Virtuouso and Firebrand really strong and all things elementalist trash? Catalyst 0.39% fml.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So how representative of the game's current powerbalance is the latest entry in this chart?

In other words, is Mechanist OP AF with Virtuouso and Firebrand really strong and all things elementalist trash? Catalyst 0.39% fml.
Judging by all the mechs present during open world events, I'd say yes.

gw030.jpg

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hekotat Hekotat - I used the boost on some different classes, just in the trial zone. Haven't committed to any yet.

Necro
Ranger
Guardian
Revenant
Thief

I just dinked around at lvl80 for about 30 minutes with each. I think I had the most fun with the thief by a good bit, but It also seems like the toughest one to solo with by a long shot.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Damn didn't expect this thread would light up after steam since the game has been around 10 years...

What combination of options do I need to turn on to make it so that if I'm auto-attacking something, it'll automatically switch to the next target when the first one dies....with autoattack only turning off when I exit combat?

You're probably looking for this

gw385.jpg

But uncheck the stop auto attacking on switch too if you want it on until you're ooc.

It's not a modern MMO though, no holy trinity and you're basically on your own for heals and survivability.

There is a holy trinity now actually. The expansions added specs for support, plus minstrel stats. Now you can use tempest, druid, scrapper, firebrand, rev centuar stance, all as support healing (you could probably even throw in vindicator and spector in there), and tanks come down to wearing the most toughness as npcs will target the highest toughness player first, they've even had chrono tanks in raids. Scrapper and Firebrand are meta for those roles, but anet is already starting to update the other specs and plan to add even more to spread more boons support on them.

The Living Story bits were always meh, but the one that reminds fresh in my mind is the one when Lion's Arch got invaded, and you participated in a massive raid to strike back in Lion's Arch, running against the timer to gain as much points as you could, until you needed to run away because you were going to be killed if you remained inside. Ten years later, it's still one of the most fun events I've ever seen.
They're bringing back the lion's arch invasion as a strike mission(10 players) later in the current season of living story, which is the entirely revamped season 1.

They made it the most fragile glass cannon I've ever seen which is hilarious for a melee class in GW2.

I've seen elementalist/tempest/weaver 1v4 people in wvw, they have an insane amount of sustain, using celestial stats and knowing the combos/rotations.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They're bringing back the lion's arch invasion as a strike mission(10 players) later in the current season of living story, which is the entirely revamped season 1.
Meh. The best part was the insanity of everyone going in their own direction, and trying to figure out the best way to grab points. A small-team version is not the same.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Meh. The best part was the insanity of everyone going in their own direction, and trying to figure out the best way to grab points. A small-team version is not the same.
True, although you can still find this for the most part on most of the map meta events from HoT onward. Like the Auric basin octovine event which requires players to do 4 separate sections all at once to do damage to it, in between phases players shift around to areas that are not killing fast enough. And yes, there's a timer. :)

Hekotat

What's the best spot to look up mechanics of fights?

Probably youtube or just ask people, also the new spec for thief "Specter" is basically unkillable with this spec unless you stand in a boss one shot field.

• 1Like

Hekotat

Thanks, I'll probably apply the boost to a thief tonight and try that build.

Just remember that when you start using hero points to unlock classes you need to start with one until it's finished. You can unlock one with PoF and most of a second in EoD. After that you will need to get into HoT or finish story quests in PoF to unlock areas to get more Hero Points.

If you need some help, guidance, assistance or just someone to run around with hit me up.

• 1Like