Guild Wars 2

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
My abilities don't have that healing on them, how do I get that to happen? Level 53 now, is that a lvl 80 thing?

The healing pics of warrior that mist posted a few posts back.
I'm sure it's in the traits somewhere, just look around.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I wonder if they are trying to make condition Ele's more viable?

This sounds awesome.

Earth XI ? Diamond Skin. This trait has been redesigned. Conditions cannot be applied to you when your health is above the threshold. 90%.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
This patch (and the previous balance one) is alot of bullshit and also a prime example why it's terrible to balance skills for pvp and pve. All of these changes are pvp influenced, yet they will affect classes negatively in pve. Also, just waoh at this elementalist trait, as if they would need any help at all in pvp right now.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This patch (and the previous balance one) is alot of bullshit and also a prime example why it's terrible to balance skills for pvp and pve. All of these changes are pvp influenced, yet they will affect classes negatively in pve. Also, just waoh at this elementalist trait, as if they would need any help at all in pvp right now.
I think they are trying to combat power creep introduced with ascended items, which is dumb IMO...

Just checked out the new area and the view of the whole thing is absolutely gorgeous, seriously. Blizzard isn't even in the same league when it comes to art design.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Terrible patch for PvE (and no, I don't give a fuck about PvP nor WvW).
They are taking away endurance and evades from thieves who are already being one shotted everywhere, less endurance for rangers as well.

They do nothing to address the zerker-only problem, except killing the player by removing the means to avoid damage. This way they think people will take +vitality or +toughness maybe? I think it's far fetched and pretty much wrong on all fronts: all they will get is more downed players, slower clears for dungeons or worse a large influx of warriors/guardians that can survive better by default.

Nerfs everywhere to protect that sad joke that is PvP, without splitting the functionality between the two game styles. Adding shit like 1/4th second cast time on an evade skill for thieves is just the cherry on top of a steaming pile of garbage thrown to players once more.

In all honesty they are losing time and resources on shit nobody asked to be changed, while real things that should be changed and cripple entire classes are left untouched, because apparently they have no clue about possible fixes (pets, conditions cap, etc.) or applying drastical changes to WvW which tends to be boring and unfulfilling (words of friends that play in it).

I like this game, but it seems I have to bend and play only guardian or warrior if I don't want to be disappointed over and over and over. My poor ranger is still struggling along with only one decent mainhand weapon that kinda roots me in place (if you want to do serious damage, that is) and my thief is becoming even more squishy than it was already (less evades = bad thing).

Meh, I'll see how it plays out, but not very optimist about it.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Can someone explain why companies don't just maintain two class skill sets at a time, one for pvp and one for pve? I feel like this is a viable solution except for in games with legitimate world pvp. Is it just a resource issue?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain why companies don't just maintain two class skill sets at a time, one for pvp and one for pve? I feel like this is a viable solution except for in games with legitimate world pvp. Is it just a resource issue?
EQ2 does it! They hid the PvP effects underneath a checkbox so that the average dumb PvE player doesn't get confused.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
It's honestly a bit of a pain to maintain and most designers don't like messy solutions, even if they solve the issue wholesale. I mean there are still people stumped by the fact you can teleport to a completely different world by clicking a button and it still doesn't solve WvW and if you split that up, 3 rulesets is dumb.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
By changing skills for PvP and pve, you're balancing 2x as many abilities. That's horrible and incredibly complicated for new players. MMO's are already annoying in the first hour when you're being introduced to all the new systems, the last thing they need is more complexity.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm looking forward to the day that MMOs trend towards MOBAs when it comes to PVP systems. Or MMORPGs just rip out PVP components all together.

Stave

Potato del Grande
So help me out here guys. I love yet hate this game. I really want to get into it, as there is a lot of cool things that I really do like about it, but there are some major things I just cannot get over. Every zone so far feels the same, and every "heart hub" feels the same "kill x of y, and pick up any of z item on the ground" grind for 5 - 10 minutes, then talk to npc, see their worthless rep gear, and move on to next area. I have a level 27 Sword Pistol Thief and 23 GS Warrior. The world and combat animations just feel "chinsey" if that makes sense. I tried WvWvW once for like 5 minutes, got smoked by some red named NPC, assuming this was another player, and then I logged off.

What the heck can I do to get more enjoyment out of this game? I've done some of my story quests and those are alright I guess but nothing amazing. I see all this cool armor and weapons and assume some is from dungeons which are coming up, but are these even going to be fun? Right now I am still wearing the same looking armor that I was wearing at like level 3. Same looking weapons too. And I have like no stealth as a thief. I am hoping I will get this at some point. The best way for me to sum it up is it always feels like there is going to be something really cool right around the corner, whether it's new item, new cool area, maybe some new weapon/armor model, etc, but it never actually happens. There is never a payoff. Maybe it's the want for familiarity but in all honesty all it is making me want to do is go play WoW.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Every zone is pretty much the same as leveling in wow, go to the heart and do the quest around there move on. The only real difference was back when the game launched and they had dynamic events popping off every couple minutes, now they don't pop as often because there isn't enough people leveling through the zones, so a lot of them feel dead. Don't bother with rep gear you can get replacements just as easy as drops, gear also looks the same for quite some time, you get maybe 3-4 different looks as you level from 1-80. The bigger selection comes at 80 from wvw, dungeons, and temple gears.

Only advice I have is to pick a section you like to do pve or wvw, you can level through wvw it's just slower than pve unless you manage to get on the karma train. You're going to get killed in wvw often, just have to learn your class, learn to dodge, make sure to have stun breaker, learn to avoid crap on the ground, run with the zerg till you're 80 and good enough to roam, if you're outnumbered even by one don't be afraid to port out, stealth, or run to the nearest structure your side owns. Thief have a couple stealth moves not sure how you can't find them unless you're expecting a WoW version which it doesn't work that way in gw2. Some classes don't pick up until like level 40 and they have some points in vital traits like warriors.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I recently went back to WoW because GW2 wore me out with the bi-weekly updates. I love GW2 as as it launched and the improvements to it, but their post-release content concept isnt to my liking. Specifically I enjoy how getting back into WoW I had TONS of content I available that I had not done yet. Anet pretty much said "no expansion, we go with the living story concept for updates" (which doesnt really add permanent content).

If I project the update schedule GW2 has used during the 15 months since release, they stand to add 1(!) half-finished outdoor zone per year, like 5 small fractal instances and some general content updates (not additions), alongside bi-weekly temporary content that's mostly a to-do list of kill 50 of these and click that 100 times. On the pvp side they added I think 2 maps and did some revamps to WvW. And even if the day-to-day gameplay is still entertaining me, that's a bleak outlook on the direction the game is going that is souring the experience for me.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
So help me out here guys. I love yet hate this game. I really want to get into it, as there is a lot of cool things that I really do like about it, but there are some major things I just cannot get over. Every zone so far feels the same, and every "heart hub" feels the same "kill x of y, and pick up any of z item on the ground" grind for 5 - 10 minutes, then talk to npc, see their worthless rep gear, and move on to next area. I have a level 27 Sword Pistol Thief and 23 GS Warrior. The world and combat animations just feel "chinsey" if that makes sense. I tried WvWvW once for like 5 minutes, got smoked by some red named NPC, assuming this was another player, and then I logged off.

What the heck can I do to get more enjoyment out of this game? I've done some of my story quests and those are alright I guess but nothing amazing. I see all this cool armor and weapons and assume some is from dungeons which are coming up, but are these even going to be fun? Right now I am still wearing the same looking armor that I was wearing at like level 3. Same looking weapons too. And I have like no stealth as a thief. I am hoping I will get this at some point. The best way for me to sum it up is it always feels like there is going to be something really cool right around the corner, whether it's new item, new cool area, maybe some new weapon/armor model, etc, but it never actually happens. There is never a payoff. Maybe it's the want for familiarity but in all honesty all it is making me want to do is go play WoW.
Thieves don't stealth forever like in WoW: they have an utility (Shadwo refuge) they can blast or leap into into smoke fields, or use dagger #5, they are all short duration stealths. Sword pistol uses no stealth at all, but it's very good for levelling.
Warrior is strong, but boring, stick to the thief imo and use a shortbow as swap weapon, it's amazing.

Buy at least green weapons, buy sigils for them (sigil of bloodlust, sigil of fire for example are quite good for levelling).

Levelling: when you start doing shit wow-style, you will get bored of gw2 right away, consider it like a trip in an area where you just go exploring, kill everything that moves, do dynamic events. Karma gear and relative vendors are fairly useless, you can pretty much ignore most of them and get gear on the trading post, green if you have spare silvers, blue if you don't. Buy power/precision trinkets and power/vitality armor (or toughness, but for thief I'd go vitality). Use your signet as your heal if you play Sword/Pistol, learn to interrupt opponents with sword #3, or just drop pistol #5 every few seconds to be unkillable even by 3 or 4 opponents.

Don't play the game on rail, you can always go back and finish zones later, you are downlevelled to the area specific level range. Look out for jumping puzzles, kill champions if you can, even if with a thief is not easy at all (don't do those fucking boring champ trains, just don't or you'll uninstall the game in 10 minutes flat).
In a few levels, when you have more points to spend, try out a dagger/dagger condition spec and use death blossom and caltrops: it's a ton of fun and will teach you a few things about timing.

GW2 is a game of timing. Learn to master sword/dagger for example and you overcome very strong opponents. Learn to use dodge and relate effects (in your traits), try out different weapon setups, like S/D, P/D or D/P or even P/P for shit and giggles.

Armor: medium armor sucks for a bunch of levels, mostly trench coats, but later on it has some good ones. Newbie armor in general is fairly lackluster, except light one maybe.

It's a great game, play it for what it is.