Guild Wars 2

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Yes and very much depends on your taste - some people love it, othersdespiseit. But hey, it's free and definitely worth the download to give it a go.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I play it casually and really enjoy. I would get burned out quick if I played constantly, the spvp is really good if you can push through the ass whippings until you are better.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got one last thing to make before getting my ascended dagger, come to find out the fucking inscription is the worst part.

Dinged 80 on my Mesmer without ever leaving the starting city, I'd actually pay gems just to get the waypoints and nothing else. I'm assuming the best way to gear up from basically nothing is to buy the Karma gear in Orr then start running dungeons. Is this the best tactic?
Gold is fairly easy to get in this game. Easier than karma these days, although karma is pretty easy too. You can buy a complete set of exotics on the AH fairly cheap, especially if you stay away from zerker stats.

Another thing to consider is the runes you put into your armor. Iirc, you can't salvage karma armor, so expensive runes are unrecoverable.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
If you don't need to make a lot of cash in a single day, just run dungeons, with the addition of LFG, you can get groups for typical farming routes in seconds/minutes. CoF p1/2 takes like 20 minutes total, fractals are a bit hit and miss, there are some groups can just faceroll through and some that kill your will to live.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Warriors are the faceroll class, Mesmers/Elementalists are the trickier and powerful classes, the rest are somewhere in between. It doesn't really matter, everything is viable, pick what looks good and if you stick with the game long enough, you will probably roll an alt anyway. There is no endgame ala WoW, you mostly fuck around and play princess maker.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
While Zaphid's comments are mostly concrete, the end game is what you make of it. If you're planning on becoming a Fractal50 superstar or WvW legend, a little research wouldn't go astray.

MetaBattle Wiki - MetaBattle - Guild Wars 2 Builds

Gives some different opinions on classes, playstyles and builds for different purposes. Elementalist drove me crazy with all the switching I needed to do and it never felt good to me, but it's hands down one of the best and most adaptable classes in the game.

I play a Necromancer, while that sounds cool, Necro's have been shit in PvE groups, and small group PvP since beta2.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ok so downloading this. Any class insights from anyone? Anything to stay away from?
If you intend to WvW then pick one of the highest tier servers that are still open. Tier 1 servers are full atm, but I think a couple of the tier 2 servers are open. They will probably fill up after the expansion comes out.

Lower tier servers are hit / miss in WvW and tend to have long periods where nobody bothers or one side gets spawn camped. If you don't intend to do any WvW then it really doesn't matter because everything other than WvW is on a megaserver. Still a good idea to pick a top tier server just in case you change your mind though. Server transfers are not cheap.

As Sabbat says, Necros have issues being wanted in dungeons, etc.. except for WvW. Necros are highly valued in WvW zergs. Some classes excel at pve, others at pvp or wvw. Depends on what you like to do.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I always avoided necros just due to the community feedback that they suck in pve group content, etc. My latest return to GW2 I made a necro anyway since I always wanted to try it, and found necro to be the class I enjoyed most of the ones I've done (guardian, thief, elementalist, mesmer). I don't really do the high end fractal or dungeon speedrunning, so necro has been great for just enjoying the gameplay and world content.

bayr_sl

shitlord
My problem with GW2 is I can't help but envision Anet slowly deepthroating their own pride and choking on it every quarter inch as they add back end game item grinds, raids, 'soft' trinity, but still insist on hamstringing their game with their original and bad design concepts. If they'd just accept that they fucked up end game and stopped skirting around it they'd have a much better game

Bruman

Golden Squire
No, they'd just have the same end game that WoW and a billion other MMOs have. GW2 is doing something different, and not having the stupid gear treadmill grind to infinity is a nice change of pace.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Only mmorpg Ive ever casually just came back to play here and there. Never though I would enjoy just completing something like a "world completion" but I am.

bayr_sl

shitlord
No, they'd just have the same end game that WoW and a billion other MMOs have. GW2 is doing something different, and not having the stupid gear treadmill grind to infinity is a nice change of pace.
But what are fractals/ascended gear if not a really stupid gear treadmill. And what are raids if not the same end game that WoW and a billion other MMOs have but apparently with no reward (ok they will have rewards for the pretty princesses and faggots prancing around in angel wings)

I just don't know why they skirt the edges only to follow the same trends in underwhelming fashion. If the end game wasn't quite so dumb, would it really compromise the spirit of the game? I don't see how, it would just make it better if you dont have to constantly pretend otherwise.

When you hit 80 it's like an MMO in the closet but the limp wrists and lisp isn't really fooling anyone

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
But what are fractals/ascended gear if not a really stupid gear treadmill. And what are raids if not the same end game that WoW and a billion other MMOs have but apparently with no reward (ok they will have rewards for the pretty princesses and faggots prancing around in angel wings)

I just don't know why they skirt the edges only to follow the same trends in underwhelming fashion. If the end game wasn't quite so dumb, would it really compromise the spirit of the game? I don't see how, it would just make it better if you dont have to constantly pretend otherwise.

When you hit 80 it's like an MMO in the closet but the limp wrists and lisp isn't really fooling anyone
I actually appreciate when designers create stuff that is supposed to stick around for years. GW1 endgame zones were fuckinghardat release, some barely possible to finish until people got good enough. In WoW if you stick around for a while, eventually Blizzard will nerf the raid to the ground or you just get +10 levels and faceroll the whole instance, making the whole zone irrelevant as a measure of skill. There is very little difference between my gear and gear of people who do lvl 50 fractals, but I'm sure I'd just get destroyed, which is what I like about the game. Same goes for Mad King's tower, gear doesn't mater, it's only your skill.

I'm surprised how many people clamor for +gooderer as the sole measure of progression, WoW is almost a joke with ilvl being the only important number on your whole character sheet.

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
K so. I will mainly be solo and primarily pvp. From what i can tell all forms of PvP. Will pve to pvp if i have to.
Melee suck in wvw as a solo or what?

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Solo (not solo zerg surfing) will suck with any class. Until you get very, very good at the game.