Guild Wars 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Mesmers handle about middle of the road but If you want to play mesmer play mesmer. When the new expansion drops next year (maybe?) all expansion classes will be OP again like usual.

The very vast majority of content including raids can be tackled with practically any class composition, but often enough the vast majority of players in pugs are not good enough skill and reaction wise for most combos to work, hence why many/most pugs doing end game content kick or ask for very specific meta classes/builds. If you play with an organized guild or make your own groups you'll find that you'll have no problem at all tackling most end game content, you just won't be breaking speed run records or be the most efficient group.

If you want a class that can slip into any "elitist wannabe" pick up lfg group at a moments notice and not have to say anything or have a single person judge you or look at you sideways if things go wrong, play Guardian or Rev as both of them are currently meta and being played by a large percentage of people.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw a video claiming this is pretty good as a part time mmo for adults with less time? Warriors feel meaty at all? Loved OG warriors in wow before many expansions in they felt too fast with no weight, might as well be rogue with bigger daggers.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw a video claiming this is pretty good as a part time mmo for adults with less time? Warriors feel meaty at all? Loved OG warriors in wow before many expansions in they felt too fast with no weight, might as well be rogue with bigger daggers.
It was designed to be an mmo that casual players can still compete in. It does have grinds, lots of them, but they are for cosmetic items for the most part. There are no gear resets. Best gear now is the best gear that existed years ago. And it's an easy game to come back to for people who haven't played in a while.

Warrior is usually in a good place. It's one of the core classes. That said GW2 is very different from WoW.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I want to come back and try this game out again. It has been a few years since I last played. I still have my 80 Ranger and I started a Guardian. Any advice for players returning? I would like to find an East Coast Guild if possible. I play on Jade Quarry which is a full server apparently.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I do not know what I have in this game. I had..9 Anniversary chests I could open. It has been a while. I see the UI has gotten some upgrades. My poor 80 Ranger is clueless right now. I almost feel like I need to start a new character just to relearn the game again.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I do not know what I have in this game. I had..9 Anniversary chests I could open. It has been a while. I see the UI has gotten some upgrades. My poor 80 Ranger is clueless right now. I almost feel like I need to start a new character just to relearn the game again.
The contents of the birthday gifts can be viewed here: Birthday Gift - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Don't select any of the dyes without checking to see how much each choice is worth Celebratory Dye Pack - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Starting with a fresh character just to get your bearings is a smart choice, just don't think that the early content is all what the game is about now, as there's a lot more to it and the content design is significantly better.

You can type /wiki anythinghere in-game to load up the wiki in a browser for just about everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I want to come back and try this game out again. It has been a few years since I last played. I still have my 80 Ranger and I started a Guardian. Any advice for players returning? I would like to find an East Coast Guild if possible. I play on Jade Quarry which is a full server apparently.
I just came back after not playing since 2012.

A few tips from someone still learning the game:
1. Like returning to any MMO after not playing there's a ton of content that is super confusing to returning/new players while the playerbase all seem to be experts in it. It's ok, you'll be an expert too soon enough.
2. In GW2 the set of exotic gear I got 5 days after GW2's release is still pretty good. Its quality can be gained in an evening or two of casual farming. In general gameplay it's only modestly inferior to the much more difficult to acquire ascended gear, which you might already have. The ascended gear is a must in high level fractals for the agony resistance, but you probably know all of this already.
3. If you didn't play in path of fire the biggest deficiency you have is not having mounts. I'd recommend working through the PoF story which will introduce you to the mounts and give you mastery points / experience to unlock them. Trying to get mastery points around the Path of Fire zones is an exercise in frustration because unless you research them on the wiki or follow a guide or whatever you'll spend a bunch of time trying to get to them only to find you need some bullshit ability on a mount you don't have to get to them.
4. Probably like when you played before it's worth keeping an eye on LFG to find where all the players are amassing and join squads doing trains on the content. This can be useful to get hero points in Path of Fire, learn the new maps etc. I find it kind of boring to do the same train/meta more than a few times, but the first few times are fun. It'll be impossible to keep up before you get the raptor / springer mount (+super jump) though. Everyone will also be zooming around with griffon/skyscale mounts, which is pretty frustrating as a returning player. You'll need to use the teleport to friend items frequently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, so it sounds like I just need to start with the PoF story line and get a mount before all other things.

Thank you

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Rando update: I'm on the last step of my skyscale mount. About 1/3rd or so done grinding out all the map currency. I hear farming eternal ice shards and trading them for living world season 4 currency is pretty efficient, I'll probably switch to that as I get tired of doing the season 4 farming.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Rando update: I'm on the last step of my skyscale mount. About 1/3rd or so done grinding out all the map currency. I hear farming eternal ice shards and trading them for living world season 4 currency is pretty efficient, I'll probably switch to that as I get tired of doing the season 4 farming.
I feel like I can't make any meaningful progress in this game, which is entirely my fault. I log in, do the dailies, kill Teq, and night is done for me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like I can't make any meaningful progress in this game, which is entirely my fault. I log in, do the dailies, kill Teq, and night is done for me.
I know what you mean.

Right now my big goal is "do fun things and see the content". A cardinal rule I have in gaming is to not do fun things unless there's a really good reason for it, like a dumb ass quest that I just need to get through, or farming a specific thing to make the rest of the game more fun.

I've done the living world season 4 meta train a few times now and it's kinda fun but I only want to do it a few more times. Same with some of the currency mining. I figure once I do those a few more times, do map completion on those maps, maybe farm some of the hearts and do some eternal ice shards farming I should be pretty close to the skyscale and can move onto other maps.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Farming eternal ice used to be a very efficient way to get the currencies, but I believe that at some point they nerfed the eternal ice : other currencies ratio so that it's not quite as effective. Still, if you want a break from the S4 maps, it's at least a way to progress on the skyscale while doing something else.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What is the "season 4 meta train"?
A zerg of people that go through each of the season 4 maps and do the big metas.

One of the guilds, Life, has a schedule where they run meta trains at the below times:

Another group, Overflow Trading Company, has alerts when train happen:

I don't know if these links work :p

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am enjoying the game. The mount limitation is a bit frustrating but I got the raptor up to long jump now. I still want springer and the mount that goes over water. I have yet to do any kind of train/raid/group content. There really is a lot of content to do now. I also started another character with the new class. I could insta 80 it but I want to enjoy the climb and learn the various skills first. I do wish I could find a guild that did activities around the times I play but I need the mounts first..

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I am enjoying the game. The mount limitation is a bit frustrating but I got the raptor up to long jump now. I still want springer and the mount that goes over water. I have yet to do any kind of train/raid/group content. There really is a lot of content to do now. I also started another character with the new class. I could insta 80 it but I want to enjoy the climb and learn the various skills first. I do wish I could find a guild that did activities around the times I play but I need the mounts first..
There is an overwhelming amount of content. The mounts just lead you to more open world content. There is still PvP, WvW, fractals, raids, and then the normal world achievements and map completion stuff that don't require the expansion mounts.

I haven't even started a new character since I picked the game back up and i'm just getting into to PvP after doing mostly open world trains, map completions, world bosses, and mastery points. Always something to keep you busy in this game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've been thinking about the mount leveling process a bit. It's kind of a 2-edged sword where it sucks to jump back into the game and feel like a chump playing with other players who just zoom passed you, but then if you can get almost BiS gear in the first weekend and can keep up with everyone, maybe you'd quit sooner? Who knows.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also I'm getting to the point where I want to start hex editing the game to remove some of this bullshit.

It's so bad I'm not even sure most people in that thread got the joke where I put the text of my post in the center of those screenshots.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I ran by a Norn last night that had so many legendary items packed on him that my GPU blew up as he ran by.

It was probably some combination of perfected envoy, trinkets and ad infinitum

359px-Perfected_Envoy_armor_%28light%29_norn_male_front_in_combat.jpg

3_legendary_trinkets_draw_animation.gif

1200px-Ad_Infinitum.jpg

• 1Mother of God